Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any secret gems in Rome or Amalfi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-secret-gems-in-rome-or-amalfi-338898/)

lisasal Jul 20th, 2003 05:53 AM

Any secret gems in Rome or Amalfi?

My husband and I are leaving next week for Rome. Three nights there and then on to Capri for 2 and Sorrento for 5. Anyone have some recommendations for great restaurants and great things to do that are off the beaten path (read - not big tourist spots)in these areas? we love to find those little local places that not many know about. Thanks!

ira Jul 20th, 2003 07:15 AM

Hi lisa,

Have you tried a text search for "Rome and xxxx", "Amalfi coast and xxx"?

Cicerone Jul 21st, 2003 07:19 AM

Do you read and speak Italian? That would be a factor in some of my recommendations. . .

donnabee Jul 21st, 2003 07:25 AM

One great restuarant in Rome is El Tula's (near the Spanish Steps). Very expensive, but worth the money, and not full of tourists.

LarryJ Jul 21st, 2003 07:54 AM

Visit the village of Ravello. 15 minutes by bus from Amalfi. Sits high atop mountain overlooking Naples Bay and Amalfi coast. Used to be the hideaway for Garbo, Jackie Kennedy and others. Ask someone there about Nina's restaurant.

Larry J

Parker Jul 21st, 2003 08:11 AM

Take a trip to the beach town of Marina del Cantone. For such a small town, there are several great restaurants. If you do a search on the town name here and on google, you'll come up with the specific names. My husband and I just came back from 10 days in Positano. We kept going back to La Cambuso for lunch and dinner. Wonderful food, views, and a great waiter named Luciano who took great care of us. I wish I could go back. Ciao . . .

TamT Jul 21st, 2003 08:15 AM

Dear Lisasal,

Not sure where you're staying in Sorrento - but close to the Bellevue Syrene Hotel there is a lane that leads down to "Fish Village". On the night we were there lighted candles led the way -very neat. We ate at the restaurant at the end on the dock - and had fabulous seafood risotto & pasta & the most amazing Lemoncello.

I heard that the other place with a small dock was great too.

Sorry I can't come up with the names - but ask how to get to "Fish Village" - that's the local's name for it.

O, to be back on the Amalfi Coast....

Wish we had more than a day trip to Capri. Let us know how your trip went.

Enjoy!

lisasal Jul 22nd, 2003 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. In answer to your question cicerone - i speak very basic italian.(they'll probably laugh at me!)
Tam T - we're staying at the Bellevue Sirene so i'll definately look for Fish Village. Thanks!!
p.s. any great places to buy olive oil???

infomania Jul 23rd, 2003 05:43 AM

Hi

Make sure you visit the Ristorante/Pizzeria San Giovanni in Pontone,which is just across the valley from Ravello. After Lunch,ask the owners to direct you to the Torre Dello Ziro,where you will find the most spectacular viewpoint along the whole Amalfi Coast.