Any restaurants like Bistro Breteuil?

Jul 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Any restaurants like Bistro Breteuil?

Whenever we get together with friends in Paris we take them to Bistro Breteuil. I love the concept. Prix fixe about 45 euros with lots of drinks included. Kir Royal, wine and coffee.
Last year even though I liked it I felt it is time to find somewhere else. Can you suggest somewhere we can take our friends when we go in October?
Jul 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM

That restaurant belongs to a company that has several all over Paris (Bistro et Cie). I like them, also, I've been to at least two of them and one of them is on of my favorite restaurants in Paris. But if you go to any other ones, the menu will be similar, I believe, so maybe you want something totally different. In which case, it's just a restaurant with a prix fixe carte. But if you just want a change of venue, you can check them out.
http://www.bistrocie.fr/anglais/inde...=accueil&cat=1
Jul 30th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

So which one do you like Christina?
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:21 AM

I just go to ones in the area where I am staying or plan to be. My favorite one is Bistro Champetre in the 15th arr. I like the management, the style and I tend to be in that area or near it a lot. They actually have a couple tables in their front window area that have views of the Eiffel Tower so you can see it at night when it is twinkling. I've also been to Deux Theatres over in the 9th when I was staying in that area and it was good, but I'm more at home at Bistro Champetre as I go there every year and rented an apt near there once.
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:23 AM

oh, you couldn't sit at one of those tables in the front window with guests, they are only for 1-2 people. They are those small tables, maybe they could push two together, if you were interested and they were free. I guess they are side by side (usual small space between tables). They have other tables or banquettes that are really more comfortable.
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:05 AM

Oh, this all sounds so rigid to me. Do you never improvise depending upon weather, neighborhood and mood? It everything set out in advance and set in stone?
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:29 AM

wow has their price gone up to 45E now? it's been a few years since I have been to Paris but I love that restaurant, but when I went it was, 30E, I think. At 45E not such deal.
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Suec1 - it's actually 42E. It has gone up a lot.
Christina - I'll check out Bistro Champetre but we might be too crowded at those tables. It would be great to have a view of the Eiffel Tower though.
Kerouac - we often improvise, in fact most of the time but our friends have never been to Paris and we want to be sure of a good meal and ambiance on a budget.
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:25 PM

I noticed the menu said 42 euro, not 45. I do remember when it was only 31 euro, everything is going up.

Bistro Champetre doesn't open until 7:30. I sometimes make reservations, but can usually get a place if I'm alone with no problem, depends on day of week as to how busy it is (it is very popular with those living in the neighborhood). I haven't been to Bistro Breteuil so don't know how it compares in terms of ambience (at least I know they cook things well, but I imagine the company wouldn't allow ones in their gropu if they didn't).

The thing that I really did not like was I believe they've taken profiterolles off their menu for a dessert choice.
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:29 PM

When things go "up a lot," I go elsewhere. With the current economic situation, I have noticed that numerous places have been lowering their prices, so I would surely not go to the places that have raised them.
Jul 31st, 2012, 12:50 PM

Doing the math - let's see - 31E X 2 X 1.5 euro / dollar = about 93 dollars for a nice meal. 42E X 2 X 1.22? = about $102 but the profiteroles are gone! well the exchange rate might keep it as a "maybe" but it may be time to look for a new favorite. I do love the escargot and the lambchops, plus sitting out on the terrace watching the nighttime sky appear has always been one of the highlights of a trip to Paris.
Jul 31st, 2012, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Ok maybe it's a lot but I'm still looking for suggestions for something comparable, good three course dinner with drinks and atmosphere for equal cost or less. I think lots of people on this forum would not think that's expensive but that's our budget. I did miss the profiteroles last year.
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM

Micheline - I didn't mean to be "Debbie Downer" - for all that is included , the wine, the welcome drink, coffee, and very tasty food, the price is fair. I just miss the days when it was really a value play - I think when I first started going there it was actually 25E and maybe two years ago it was up to 31E.......if only I could blink my eyes and go, I'd be there right now!

Hope you find a comparable place to enjoy with your friends!
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM

La Gazzetta, near the Aligre market in the 12th, can please the adventurous at a fixed price. http://lagazzetta.fr/wordpress/ In the evening its menu is really fixed, five plates (42€) of the chef's choosing with very little selection except to add a couple more. Lunch is a more conventional two- or three-course deal. Despite the name it is continental with a touch of foam, not Italian. Wine is extra. The website Contact page lists a phone number to make a reservation, which would be a wise strategy.
Jul 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM

Love the music!

http://www.bistrocie.fr/

First night of every trip we have dinner at Bistro Melrose. It's on the Place de Clichy, a few steps from the Metro.
Jul 31st, 2012, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Actually Suec1 reading your description of sitting out on the terrace has just about convinced me just to go back to Bistro Breteuil.
Southampton and RonZ - Thanks I'll check out those websites.
Jul 31st, 2012, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Oops I really wrote Southam but my iPad corrected it to Southampton.
Jul 31st, 2012, 10:57 PM

>I think when I first started going there it was actually 25E and maybe two years ago it was up to 31E

I have dined more than a few times at Bistro de Breteuil in last about 10 years when I stay in the area of Les Invalides. The first times the price was about € 32.00. So €25 must be a long time ago. 2 - 3 years ago, it was already like €36/37. When the price got there, they gave an excuse, something like " new carte/menu prapared by a michelin starred chef ". I understood he was not the chef in the kitchen himself. Last year I paid €41 or 42 so like suec1, I did think the restaurant got less interesting. Still it may be worth especailly for me coming from Switzerlnad as CHF is much stronger nowadays vs €. €32 10 years ago was CHF50. €42 today is about CHF53. So personally I could consider the increase very little. I think I can still dine there...
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:01 PM

One more negative. Last year for the first time they didn't give be olives as nibbles with kir royal. I thought price increase + cost cut. Still I would go there when the occasion is right.
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:06 PM

One positive, half of the times I have dined there, I was alone. They give you one full bottle still (normally for 2 persons). I drink all and they never charge extra.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO