Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any RELIABLE airlines from US to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 04:11 PM
Pete

<BR>We are planning our first trip to Europe for late April or early May 1999 and are concerned about all the negative postings about the airlines (bumpings, late departures, missed connections etc.). Can those of you who have traveled to Europe more than once give us any recommendations for the MORE RELIABLE airlines you have found. If one has to connect with a tour is it imperative to go a day early? Also, what time of day or night is it best to book a flight to avoid as many problems as possible? We know a non-stop would be a great solution but to get best fare we may have to take one with a connection. Thanks for whatever information and help you can share with us.

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 05:11 PM
JOAN DOYLE

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice--this board really attracts experienced travelers. Personally, I've flown on the old Pan Am, Icelandair, British Airways, United, American, and Delta. I've settled on Delta because I live in the South and they are "our" airline. On the whole they're not too bad. I really don't think a "perfect" one exists but if you want to get a scorecard on how much space each gives each passenger (especially in coach), consult CONSUMER REPORTS TRAVEL LETTER. The same source will also fill you in on the food--and contributing letter-writers will frequently grade the attitude of the cabin crews. With that information you should be able to make an informed choice. Hope you have a smooth flight. Joan

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 05:19 PM
kam``

From the US to London the reliable airlines are American, British Airways and United. There have been a lot of complaints lately about Virgin/Continental. Most flights leave in the evening and you really don't have a lot of choice about times. If I could choose my first choice would be BA direct to London, but you don't say where you're coming from. If you have to connect in a US city, try to avoid JFK or at least pack underwear and clean clothes in your carry on. They are pretty bad about losing luggage from one airline to another (although they are OK within the same airline, ie, United or American) . If you need to change airlines at JFK, I would allow a day in London before your tour takes off. Good luck and try to avoid Virgin despite their advertising! <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 06:35 PM
Frank

Try to book a tour that includes your flights both ways. That makes them responsible for getting you to the tour on time- the tour will wait for you. In addition a tour and air package is frequently the best possible price.

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 06:44 AM
Carol

I've flown to both Heathrow and Gatwick on Continental and British Airways. Since I fly out of Newark, they are always non-stop flights. The past two years we have taken the morning flight on Continental and arrived in Gatwick at 10:00pm, checked into a hotel at the airport (the Gatwick Hilton or Le Meridian) , went to sleep and woke up "fresh" to start the vacation. I've never had any problems with Continental; however they tend to book up early. If you are connecting with a tour, you may not have any choices, unless you want to start out a day or two early on your own to get acclimated. Have a great time. <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 02:28 AM
sue

what ever you do don't fly Yirgin we just used it to fly over there and it was nothing but problems. BIG trouble. they had no record of our reservations we had made six months ago. and we had reconfirmed them three times. they were extremely rude about everything.

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 08:33 AM
Gale deFleron

Have made three recent trips to London. One on Delta into Gatwick and two on United into Heathrow. Both airlines were wonderful - no problems on either. I prefer United. Only good things to say about either line. Have a wonderful trip. It's a great city.

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 12:58 PM
Jen Z

From my experience and what I've heard, it seems to me that the charter flights are often the bad ones. I flew United on my first trip, and everything was fine (except that was just before they all switched to non-smoking and it was kind of gross -- and I was a smoker back then!). We had a lot of stops along the way, but in the time since we had booked our flights they had added a new stretch on the way back, from Chicago to Vancouver, instead of stopping in Seattle in between, and it was a pleasant surprise (though they could have announced it so we could've avoided the confusion in Chicago). On my second trip we took a Canadian charter called Canada 3000. They told us it was direct, non-stop. They lied. We stopped in Calgary and Glasgow. And they didn't assign seats until check-in time; my husband and I were the first in line, and waited for check-in to start for three hours in the middle of the night to be first, but they opened a different counter than where we were standing and we ended up getting horrible seats (and my husband is very 'big and tall' so the flight was especially terrible for him -- we wanted a seat behind a door so he could stretch out). We weren't very impressed at all. However, we did fly with them to Maui on another trip, and everything went fine. Anyway, my point is, be careful with charters!

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 01:44 PM
Tom

You left out the most important thing....what city are you originating from? I've made this trip many times. I've had the best luck with Non-stops from Los Angeles on American Airlines. I also have had good luck with British Air as well but I prefer American Airlines and like to accumulate frequent flyer miles with them as well to be used here in the U.S. Depending upon what city you're originating from may well determing which airline you chose. Each airline has their own "hubs" thus making non-stops more realistic. Good luck.

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 09:30 PM
Tricia

Sending up for Vince- here ya go Bud! <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 09:01 AM
anne

We've been very happy with United. Their departures from Dulles are 15 minutes from our house, and direct to Europe. <BR>2 of the 3 daily flights to London are <BR>Boeing 777's which are comfortable even in coach.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 12:08 PM
Elizabeth

My sister and I flew British Air last year after a few recommendations. We were so disappointed and will never fly them again. The year before my husband and I flew United and were very happy with them. We booked a hotel through British Air, Gloucester Millenium in Knightsbridge, and it was a very expensive dump. The halls stunk and the beds were like rocks. Not clean either. I called the British Air office in London on arrival and got the run around about them never having had a complaint about the hotel. You can change to another of the hotels they use but only have until the end of your first day there to change. Just what you want to do after a flight is check out hotels. We stayed and bit the bullet. I wrote a letter on my return home to complain and British Air was unwilling to make any adjustments for us. Everything was paid for in the hotel ahead of time and the hotel tried to charge us for breakfasts and 4 extra prepaid days. The man ahead of me was having a time with his bill also. The British Air counter person at the airport in London was very rude also. Never again!!

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 01:10 PM
Gene

We're flying US Air to London Gatwick in October. <BR>We've flown US Air to number of destinations and never had any problems at all with them. <BR> <BR>Whatever you do don't fly NORTHWORST AIRLINES anywhere. They can change a flight to Chicago into <BR>12 hour flight. Five empty seats and they'll cancel <BR>the flight. You'll always end up in Detroit whatever your destination is.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 07:49 AM
stan

Not sure

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 08:10 AM
FreqFlyer

Who dug this one up and why? Yes, there are RELIABLE airlines from the US to London. In fact, I'd say that all of the major airlines are reliable, ie, they get you there and back (usually). Anyone can have a bad experience on any airline that flies. It happens.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 07:47 PM
xxxxx

Someone is amusing themselves digging up old posts - if you look at the dates on some that have reached the top today.