Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for private or small group tour guides for Krakow or Budapest?

Any recommendations for private or small group tour guides for Krakow or Budapest?

Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

We'd like to take day tours of both Krakow and Budapest during our upcoming trip. If you've used a tour guide for either city - (either private or small group), tell me about the guide and the tour you took. Thanks.
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:06 AM
GBC

For Budapest, check out Ideal Travel. Google will find it for you. We've reserved with them based on good reports from friends. Their website lists city tours and also excursions to nearby attractions. Prices are also there.
May 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM

Hi
Here are some suggestions for tours in these cities.
www.staypoland.com/krakow_tours.htm has a variety of interesting day tours in krakow and the surrounding area including both the more traditional sites and more off beat tours such as a crazy communism tour, John Paul II tour, or the Jewish Galicia tour.

In Budapest you have palstreettours.com/types%20of%20tours.htm which has a variety of interesting day tours in Budapest and the surrounding area.

Finally, Isram at isram.com/isram/index.htm has three day packages in both cities which include a choice of hotel, a half day motorcoach tour and options for additional day tours.

Enjoy your trip
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM

I used this guide twice for my group in Krakow. Here is the comment I gave her as feedback on her website:

"Marta made our visit to Krakow in November 2004 exceptional! I had been to Krakow once before and was very impressed then, but Marta really helped the city come to life. You can tell she has a passion for guiding and it was nice to have someone with you who knows the city inside out. She is completely charming, resourceful, energetic, and outgoing. You feel like you have a long lost relative showing you her hometown. It is evident that she is well educated in the history of Krakow. Her rates are very reasonable, too."

http://www.privateguidesineurope.com/poland_marta.html

In Budapest, I highly recommend Andrea Makkay for use as a private guide(http://www.privateguidebudapest.com).
I've used her for my group in November 2005 and she was exceptional. She is also recommended by Rick Steves.

Jun 7th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I am not even sure that I would pay for a group guide in Budapest. Everything is quite accessible. You can get a 'tourist' map with all the highlights of places that you should go. They are even numbered for you!! And the train system is excellent. For some of the best chili that will ever pass your lips I would suggest the Iguana restaurant. I know, sounds strange to suggest a Mexican restaurant in Hungary, but trust me, some of the best I have had anywhere.
Sep 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM

In Budapest, I highly recommend Andrea Aipli for use as a private guide(http://www.guidingbudapest.net/).
Sep 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM

We also used Marta on a recent trip to Krakow. She was wonderful. She also took us to Auschwitz.