Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for an inexpensive breakfast in or near the 1st Arr?

Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

I'd appreciate some suggestions for breakfast options that aren't too expensive but are somewhat more substantial than a coffee & croissant and not fast food, preferably in the 10-15 euro range. Does this exist? I don't want to spend 40 euros on the hotel breakfast every morning. Thanks for any suggestions!
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:15 AM

Where are you staying that breakfast is 40 €? Even 10-15 € is a lot to pay for breakfast.

Anyway, I doubt this is something you need to plan out ahead of time. I'm sure the first time you get out of the hotel and walk around you'll spot a half-dozen such places. And without knowing exactly where you'll be in the 1st, whatever information you get here could be useless to you.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:20 AM
ira

Hi Patty,

My goodness 40E for bkfst. What hotel?

If you go to http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/ and enter "boulangeries" under "activite", "Paris" in "Localite", and 75001 under "department", you will get about 20 places.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:29 AM

I think it was StCirq that suggested Boulangeries Paul as good alternatives for breakfasts, and if you follow ira's instructions and type in that name you will find the many locations, including at least one in the 1st.
But I think it's still mainly a pastry/bread kind of breakfast.

Angelina's on rue de Rivoli, and Laduree on Rue Royale open pretty early in the morning (by 9am I think) and in addition to their wonderful pastries may offer other dishes. Laduree for sure has a website--perhaps the menu is listed.

Also the American-style restaurant Joe Allen is in the first, and they also have a website. I know they serve an American-style brunch on weekends, not sure what hour they open during the week, but you can check.

Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

It's the Park Hyatt (I'm staying there on points). I believe their continental is 32 euros and full breakfast is 42 euros per person.
Most of the recommendations from previous posts on non-hotel breakfasts seem to only involve something very basic, that's why I asked. I'm glad to hear we won't have any problems finding what I described. Thanks.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
ira

Considering that the continental bkfst is 32E, the full bkfst is a bargain.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM

I always wonder when I see posts about breakfasts if all that many people eat "full breakfasts" at home? Perhaps I am in the minority, but a breakfast for me (except on special occasions) is cereal (or toast) and fruit and that doesn't seem to be very different nutritionally from a continental breakfast plus oj. Just curious.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:58 PM

I can heartily recommend Le Pain Quotidien, located right on the Place du Marché St-Honoré, in the 1st. It's a bakery/café, and you will have a number of options for breakfast, including farm-fresh soft-cooked eggs. Depending on your choice of breakfast
(all under 10 Euros) you will get croissants, pains au chocolat, assorted breads (including an excellent wholemeal), house-made confitures and spreads, fresh OJ, and tea, coffee, or chocolate. It's hard to beat this place when it comes to breakfast. You can sit indoors or out, depending on the weather, and most seating is at long tables. The restaurant is now non-smoking.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

That sounds exactly like what I was looking for! Thanks, Underhill.