Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for 4 star property near Oradour Sur Glane?

Jan 9th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Deb

My husband and I will be traveling through France and he is looking to spend a day at Oradour Sur Glane. I'm looking for a very nice chateau/inn (4 star preferred) near this area. So far I've only found one property sort of near it called Chapelle St Martin but their website says they only have twin or double beds. We would prefer a king or queen bedded room so we need other choices. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Jan 10th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Deb

Can anyone please help?

Jan 10th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Betty

Deb, Oradour-sur-Glane is in a part of France that is not very "touristy." I think you are quite fortunate to have found as nice a place as the Chapelle St. Martin. I would be surprised if you found a hotel in that area that would suit you better. King and queen size beds are not that common, even in 4 star hotels. But you might contact the hotel to ask about this possibility. When I went to their site (http://www.chapellesaintmartin.com/welcome.htm ) I saw a picture of a room with a bed that looks larger than a normal double. There is a request form where you could ask about a larger bed.
I was in Oradour-sur-Glane a few years ago and found it a very sobering and sad experience, but certainly worth a visit, especially for anyone interested in WWII history. It can be seen in a morning or an afternoon, so you might consider seeing it en route, rather than spending a night in the area.

Jan 10th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Deb

Betty thanks for responding to my inquiry. Don't get me wrong, Chapelle St Martin looks very nice but when you make reservations it says "twin" or "double" beds. I know that our American king or queen beds are not all that common over in Europe but all of the other places we are staying have them.

We are making a side trip to Oradour in between Lyon and Provence. It's quite out of the way but my husband wants to see it. It will require a nights stay because otherwise there would be just way too much driving. I will try contacting Chapelle St Martin directly.

Jan 10th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Gretchen

It is near Limoges. Have you checked there?