Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > any recommendations for 25th wedding anniversary two week tip to Italy

any recommendations for 25th wedding anniversary two week tip to Italy

Jun 7th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

any recommendations for 25th wedding anniversary two week tip to Italy

Any recommendations for a great trip. We never travelled to Italy--would like it to be memorable. Also, would consider Greece.
Jun 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM
ira

Hi G,

Have you looked up <Italy> under "Destinations" or in the "search this forum" box?

Jun 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM

What kind of activities are 'memorable' for you in your travels to Greece? History? Food? Mountains? Beaches? Architecture? Museums? Art?

To help you plan we need to understand your interests. My 'mmemorable' trip might be the opposite of yours.

We're ready to help . . .
Jun 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Do Some Research !!!!
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Hello Graciepoo!

My husband and I celebrated 25 years of marriage in Italy in October 2002, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I cannot help you with Greece (never been), but I can tell you what we did as first-timers in Italy. I realize that many may think that some of my suggestions are touristy, but we felt like if we were going for the first time, we wanted to do some touristy things. This was our itinerary:

We flew in to Rome and spent five nights. Saw the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill (great ruins and not many visitors), saw the Spanish Steps and visited Keats' apartment, strolled Via Condotti (Rome's fashion district), saw the Pantheon. We did not get a chance to see Villa Borghese, which I regret, but we saw so many wonderful things that we truly did not feel slighted. This is not to say that we ran around like mad dogs in Rome. We did a lot of strolling around in various neighborhoods just soaking up Rome. We loved Trastevere and the Campo di Fiore. We stayed in a wonderful hotel in the Aventino area (Villa San Pio). Granted, it is not in the heart of the city, but the cabs were plentiful and reliable and we walked just about everywhere because the weather was great. The first full day we were there, we walked to the Colosseum -- a 20 minute walk, but beautiful. In my opinion, the neighborhood of Testaccio has the some of the best food in Rome. If you eat at any of the places in that area, it will be frequented with Romans (always a good sign).

When we left Rome, we took the train to Florence, rented a car and drove just outside of Cortona and stayed at Villa di Piazzano. Villa di Piazzano was the former hunting lodge of Cardinal Silvio Passerini, who was in very tight with the de Medici family. We stayed here for six nights and went to Cortona (lovely town -- we were there while they were filming "Under The Tuscan Sun"). We also visited Montepulciano, Florence, Assisi and San Gimingano. If I only had one week to go to Italy, I think I would spend it in Tuscany. My only regret during my stay in this area is that I did not spend a few days just in Florence -- I will save that for another trip because I will be going back!

From Tuscany, we drove to Venice (actually a very easy drive). We dropped off the car in Venice and spent four wonderful nights there. While in Venice, we saw St. Mark's Basilica, the Doge's Palace, the Campanile, Murano, etc., but we spent a lot of time just wandering the streets away from St. Mark's. Dorsoduro and Santa Croce were our favorite neighborhoods in Venice -- you actually get to see the locals.

From Venice, we took the high speed train back to Rome and spent two night at the Airport Hilton because we had an early flight back to the States. I loved the fact that we had two more days in Rome before our trip ended, but we personally will never stay near the airport again. We thought it would be easier to deal with getting on the plane, but we had to hassle with watching the clock to make sure we caught a cab back out to the airport. Others may disagree with me, but this is just my thought on this matter.

When we departed Rome, we had a layover in Paris (got a great price on tickets to Rome by flying Air France) but we missed our connection and darn it all, we were forced to stay in Paris and catch a flight back home the next day. Not a bad deal -- how bad can it be to be stuck in Paris for an entire day. We had been before, so we had a whirlwind day before flying out the next day.

Graciepoo, I apologize if my post seems jumbled and I will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about Italy. I will keep an eye out for more posts from you. I hope I was able to help out some.
Jun 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM

The trip dlb716 described could not really be improved upon except for attention to special interests.

I would closely copy it with a few small changes .

Search this Thread