Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ANy Recomendations on can't miss markets in rome/venice/bologna?

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for markets you can't miss for anything and everything, but mainly outstanding deals!!

Looking for markets in Rome, Venice and Bologna.

Thanks in advance
Reck
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:57 AM

Sunday nights in Rome, a market is set up in Campo de Fiori that replaces the well-known weekday fruit and vegetable market. In addition to antiques and jewelry, they sell handmade crafts, bags, clothes, spices and other food items. You can get just about anything there.
Also, Friday and Saturday nights mainly, street vendors set up a market in and around Piazza Santa Maria di Trastevere. The stuff that is sold is not as unique or interesting as that in Campo, but the ambience in front of the medieval church, its piazza and the surrounding restaurants is not to be missed.
Another popular market in Rome is the Porta Portese flea market. Not a big fan of this one, but it is certainly an experience.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM

I might add though that I didn't see anything at Campo de Fiori that struck me as a bargain.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 11:38 AM
bdj

Taking into account the age of this post, is the Sunday night market in Campo de Fiori still in operation? Still as described above? Any further details available from those that may have frequented it?

Thanks...bdj
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM

Every morning there is a market in Campo de Fiori but it is (for the main part) for fruits and vegetables.
The most famous roman flea market takes places every sunday morning in 'Porta Portese' nera 'Trastevere Railway Station'.
It is very nice to see but pay A LOT of attention and be aware of pickpockets!!!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM

Yes, Porta Portese. It's hit or miss but definitely worth the experience, and seriously, I got like 5 coats there for 20 euros 2 years ago and still have them....the jeans too....and the furniture....And of course most nights there are loads of vendors set up in Piazza Trilussa. A lot of vendors set up daily near the Eur Fermi, Cipro, and Ottaviano metro stops and sell cheap clothes, so that may be worth checking out too. My towels from Cipro have held up nicely!