Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any recent visits to Duinin House on Dingle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not my first choice, but we are limited by tour vouchers, and the most recent posts on it appear to be at least a year old. If anyone has been there more recently, would appreciate the input. Thanks!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:29 AM

I haven't stayed there and it might be great, but do you have any other options that are in town, or closer to town?
This is probably just personal preference, but I don't like to drive after dark in Ireland, especially after sampling Dingle's wonderful nightlife. Because it gets dark quite early in November, I'd prefer someplace within easy walking distance of town center.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

MaryZ, I was not aware it was outside of town; another review I had stated it was within walking distance of downtown. I definitely prefer not to drive after dark somewhere new as well. Not worth the risk.

I am REALLY limited in my choices (no more "independant" tours for me!)

None of the top 5 B&B's recommended by posters here are included. Should I post what is available and maybe have better luck that way? Or is that asking too much? Trying to research them myself without asking too much of other posters. If excessive, please say so.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:55 AM

The website for Duinin says it's 1 km from the center of town. That IS within walking distance, but it's farther than I'd want to walk on Conor Pass Road in the dark. (Looks like a very nice B&B, though.)
I'd go ahead and list your possibilities in another post with 'Dingle' as the subject header. I think there are a bunch of us who jump at any opportunity to talk about Dingle and would be glad to tell you if we know anything about a place.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:58 AM

That's one of the reasons why I recommend to people who go to Ireland for the first time not to do vouchers because it limits you.

In Ireland, "walking distance to town" can a mile or more.

Go ahead and post them away. You might hit pay dirt.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Just back, had the same problem with vouchers. I would not recommend the place we stayed - Ballyegan - while walking distance, it wasn't all that nice - not particularly clean, and the owner was a tad odd. Had a great dinner at the Half Door and would highly recommend that. Dingle is a beautiful place, we really enjoyed the Connor Pass and the drive around Slea Head - there is a great place out there to stop for coffee - and the sites are amazing. Enjoy!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:06 PM

My wife & I have fond memories of the Half Door Restaurant in Dingle. We had lunch there, and they had the best mussels we've had in all of Ireland.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:13 AM

We stayed at Duinin House in late September and it was a great house! The owner is a lovely lady. Her breakfast was delicious and I fell in love with her fabulous porridge with cream. However, she is located up the hill on a very dark road with shoulder that were almost non-existent. One couple did walk home with no problems but we decided just to behave ourselves. (well, DH behaved himself- can't say the same for myself.) Do take a flashlight if you decide to hike it.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replys! I pulled off a couple recomendations from the "Rick Steve's website (his are the ones I have an X next to). Haven't decided yet to get his book or not! Heard various things here; but on to Dingle (which I am most excited about based strictly on what everyone here has said about it!). The B&B's I can stay at are as follows:

THE LIGHTHOUSE... X
CILL BHREAC... X
KIRRARY... X
THE PLOUGH
CLUAIN MHUIRE HOUSE
CONOR PASS HOUSE
ARD NA GREINE HOUSE... X
WALSHS TOWNHOUSE B&B
DOONSHEAN VIEW
ANGLERS REST
CEANN TRA HEIGHTS
DINGLE HEIGHTS
ABHAINN MHOR
MOUNT EAGLE LODGE
COIS CORRAIGH
AN SPEICE
SHEEHY'S

ohstate, Ballyegan was on my list; I have removed it now; thanks. (did you go thru CIE Tours?) Everyone, thanks again for all the help, and if anyone wants to tag along as a tour guide, please let me know!!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:33 PM

Both Sheehy's and Cill Bhreac are in Milltown. That's just across Dingle Harbor and a reasonable (10-15 minute) walk into town. I've stayed at Sheehy's. Nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable with a wonderfully funny owner.
I've read great reviews of the Lighthouse.
Walsh's Townhouse is right in the heart of downtown Dingle.
You've got some good options here.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 01:07 PM

While you are in Dingle, definitely follow Rick Steve's Slea Head Drive directions. That was one of our favorite days in Ireland. The weather was crystal clear, warm and softly breezy. The drive... wow, words cannot even describe how gorgeous it was. There is a small shop at Slea Head that was great. We bought takeaway lunch and a blanket, walked down to the beach and had a picnic. Renewed our wedding vows at Kilmalkedar. It all sounds pretty lightweight when I describe it but oh my, it was wonderful.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 03:53 PM

I used Sceptre tours, but they were Town & Country Homes vouchers. I picked Ballyegan b/c of the Rick Steve's rec, plus it was in town and available, bad choice. I didn't have any trouble with the rest of the places we stayed:
Kenmark: Rockcrest House - Kinsale: Landfall House - Cashel: Georgesland House - Doolin: Daly's House - our favorite - walking distance, down the hill to the local pub (Gus O'Connor's), clean, good breakfast. Adare: Adare Manor. Was good to spend our last night at a great hotel. Dinner there was a disappointment though, had much better meals elsewhere (Dingle, Kinsale & Kenmare all beat it)
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the info. I hope I am not overplanning this; I know my office is anxious for me to go just so I will hush on the subject! Your insights and recs. are immensely helpful! Thank you, thank you!

Shelly