Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any recent visitors to St Mark's Venice please respond.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Nancy

We have read and heard that no purses or backpacks are allowed inside St. Mark's. Is this tru, and if so is there a baggage check area available? Any problems at any other sites, such as the Doge's Palace, etc?

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Capo

Hi Nancy. I'd read that here as well. All I can say is that it certainly wasn't the case when my girlfriend & I were there about a month ago. She had a small backpack and I had a shoulder bag and neither of us were asked to check it. You might, however, want to assume you *will* have to check your bag and plan accordingly. <BR><BR>By the way, we were there when they turned the lights on inside (I think they do this between 11:00 and 12:00) and it was fantastic; the golden mosaics just glowed.

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Alyssa

Hi Nancy,<BR><BR>I can't answer about St. Mark's but they had the same sign at the Duomo in Florence and did have a place to check your bags. There were people inside walking around with shoulderbags and small knapsacks though so I'm really not sure what the deal is. Maybe they don't enforce it?<BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:41 PM
kavey

Bags were allowed but being checked carefully when we were there over Easter. Strangely we went through the check but suddenly decided we wanted to be out in the open air, so we came back out (before having bought tickets) and went to the Castello gardens instead.<BR><BR>They were also checking bags for entry into Campanile and Basilica but this was over the Easter weekend so perhaps thats not regular.<BR><BR>Note NO bags at all were allowed in to Peggy Guggenheim though they do have a secure cloakroom to check them into.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Jack

Kavey:<BR>Secure??? In Italy??? You're kiding, right?

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:41 PM
MK

We were there a week ago and there did not appear to be any issue with packs or purses. One of us had a smaller style back pack and two had over the shoulder purses. While waiting in line we didn't notice anyone being challenged.<BR>The issue did come up at the Doge's Palace on the secret itinerary tour, people with larger packs had to check them. The guide decides if the size of your pack is acceptable.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Mary

No problem with purses and SMALL backpacks at St marks. The Doges palace secret itinerary tour require you to leave everything larger than a very small handbag (cameras included) in their cloakroom (which has lockers).

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:46 AM
kavey

Jack<BR>Yes, secure! I trusted them anyway! I felt happier leaving my unlocked camera bag with the lady at this cloakroom than I do leaving bags in London cloakrooms here at home.<BR><BR>But this is why I posted the information. So that anyone who feels too worried about checking in their bags and entrusting them to the cloakroom ladies can take padlocks with them to secure their bags before checking, or not take bags at all and have nothing to check.<BR><BR>Kavey<BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:24 AM
isabelle

What about cameras? Can you bring them in? Do they allow any photos inside? But even if they don't I wouldn't want to leave my camera with anyone.

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:44 AM
nancy

thanks for that info, as we will be in Venice next week.<BR>as far as secure,<BR>I agree with Kavey.<BR>while I might not feel secure leaving my bag with a clerk at a clothing store,<BR> there was a <BR>"check ALL bags " policy at the <BR>Villa Borghese in rome, for the tours.<BR>not a problem, nor a worry.

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:53 AM
kavey

Isabelle.<BR>Peggy Guggenheim allowed cameras in, but not bags, even though my bag was literally just my camera bag with my wallet thrown in.<BR>So I took out my camera and a spare film and my wallet and carried those in my pocket. That still left an expensive spare camera lens but I did feel happy checking that.<BR>In Guggenheim you can take photos outdoors in the sculpture gardens but not inside of the paintings though postcards of most are sold in their shop.<BR>Kavey

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:45 AM
elaine

Since policies vary so much, this is one reason why I make sure that what I'm wearing has pockets. Inside my daily totebag I usually have a weighs-nothing pocket-sized nylon or poly cosmetics bag (the kind the cosmetics people include in give-aways) so that I can stuff my kleenex and wallet into it, take that with me, put my small camera in my other pocket,, also take my guidebook or sightseeing notes with me, and check the bigger tote. I often choose to do that even if it's not required, just to be more comfortable while I'm inside sightseeing.