Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any recent personal reviews of Al Campaniel hotel in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-recent-personal-reviews-of-al-campaniel-hotel-in-venice-611829/)

Kavey Apr 30th, 2006 01:23 PM

Any recent personal reviews of Al Campaniel hotel in Venice?

This is one of the hotels I'm considering for a trip this September...

It doesn't seem to be star rated, or at least, not obvious on it's website.

Rooms look fine on the website but it's so hard to tell ... photos were probably taken when it was renovated back in 2000 so it may be quite faded by now OR it could have been kept in tip top condition?

Any personal reviews from recent visits would be appreciated.

Kavey

ira Apr 30th, 2006 01:35 PM

Hi K,

Have you checked www.tripadvisor.com?

((I))

Amart Apr 30th, 2006 01:35 PM

Tripadvisor.com gives 3 fairly recent reviews. Sounds pretty good. I can highly recommend Locanda Ca' Le Vele First Inn for a balcony room on a tiny canal behind the ck in desk, but it may be more expensive.

Kavey Apr 30th, 2006 01:36 PM

I have checked it yes and the reviews on both tripadvisor and venere are excellent...

The rate is MASSIVELY less than anything else I'm getting which is what has me slightly worried...

Kavey Apr 30th, 2006 01:37 PM

Thanks Amart
Ca La Vele is one of the others I've already written to for a quote, not heard back yet.
:D

ira Apr 30th, 2006 01:55 PM

Hi K,

There are a number of samller places in Venice at about the same rate as Al Campaniel. Don't let the cost bother you.

The location is pretty good.

((I))

Kavey Apr 30th, 2006 02:06 PM

Yes, it seems to be and I like the speed of response too. The reviews on both sites are really rather good...

Laurie Apr 30th, 2006 08:28 PM

Kavey, We have stayed at Al Campaniel and loved it! We stayed for 6 days in the apartment attached to the guesthouse and I would highly recommend it. It was very basic but clean and decently decorated.

Marco, the owner was very friendly and helpful and was quick to answer my emails.

We really enjoyed the central location too. You will be about one city block from the San Toma vaporetto stop.

There is a cafe called Ciak 1 just around the corner where you can get coffee in the morning and good bruschetta and wine etc. later in the day.

You will also be very near the restaurant Trattoria San Toma, which has excellent Lasagna.

Our favorite gelato stand is also very nearby. It is called Mille Voglie and it almost always has a line of people waiting but it is worth it.

We have been to Venice 4 times and the Al Campaniel was one of our favorite places to stay.

If you have any more questions about Al Campaniel or restaurants in the area, I would be happy to help.

Have Fun! Laurie

Kavey May 1st, 2006 03:51 AM

Thanks Laurie!
Today I got responses back from quite a number of the places I contacted for prices and availability but have now narrowed it down to two choices - Al Campaniel and one other hotel - more expensive but not my much and we'd get a double room, a single room (which would be great for the luggage) and a big bathroom.
In Al Campaniel, the flat was already booked so we've been offered a triple room... Did you see the regular rooms whilst you were there?
THANKS!

Laurie May 1st, 2006 08:06 PM

Kavey, I saw a little of one room while we were walking by. [The door was open while the room was being cleaned]

It looked very clean, not fancy but probably a very good value, especially for the location.

Kavey May 2nd, 2006 01:00 AM

Thanks Laurie!

Dog_Mother May 2nd, 2006 02:47 AM

We stayed in a regular room at Al Campaniel--it was very nice! That was about 3 years ago--and it seemed freshly renovated then. Marco is a very attentive innkeeper--I would be very surprised if it had faded or been kept in anything but tiptop condition.

Kavey May 5th, 2006 02:35 AM

Well, I just booked into Al Campaniel.

The other place had three suites available and I'd expressed throughout our discussion that only one would be suitable for us because the other two have huge wooden headboards at the bottom of the beds and my husband, being 2 metres tall, is simply too tall to sleep comfortably in beds with footboards. Well, when I was on the verge of confirming suddenly I was being offered one of the other two suites as they've already taken a booking for the one I'd been requesting! I THINK he may have agreed to provide me an actual measurement of the bed sometime next week but am not really sure.

So I decided to go ahead and confirm the Al Campaniel. Spoke to Marco - I can see what they mean in the reviews - his English is absolutely perfect and he comes across as very helpful.

So there ya go!

Thanks for the input everyone! Much appreciated!