Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any reason not to take a Holland Park villa in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helping friends find a place to stay in London this June. Six adults. 3 hotel rooms are quite expensive. They have found a beautiful looking house in Holland Park for a short term let. Although it is a bit off the beaten path, the place looks amazing and appears to be in a beautiful location. They would take the Underground into visit different parts of the city each day for sightseeing. Is there any reason that we aren't considering for not taking the house? Thanks.

<u>Here is the listing:</u>
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p10...PROP&utm_term=
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM

Holland Park is a lovely residential neighborhood. Not right in the center of course but quite convenient.

You might want to get a more precise address as I could google maps the tennis club referred to but couldn't tell what side it was on. Holland Park Avenue, Kensington High Street, Church Street and Nottinghill are all reasonably near with shopping, dining, etc.

Central line of tube will get you to center London or connect to other lines pretty quickly for sightseeing. If coming from Heathrow you are on west side of city so convenient for car service (which I would recommend for 6 people or even 2 people)

If you want to see more about neighborhood amenities you can google maps Holland Park Tennis Club and then use the "search nearby" feature (restaurants, groceries).

One other thing I would confirm is the details of the third bedroom. There doesn't seem to be a picture of it. Or the baths (in case you are particular about tub or shower or whatever).
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
TC
Original Poster

Thanks, Laurie Ann. My friend has been in direct contact with the managers and is quite satisfied with the property and the bedding. We were just a bit concerned about the availability of restaurants, groceries, pub or the like. Since they will be out and about most all day, its not a huge issue. From looking at Maps App on my iPad, I think there is a Marks and Spencer on Holland Park Rd. They could get a few breakfast items and supplies there, right? I know they want to do the Portobello Rd antiques market on Saturday and it is nearby. The big travels won't be a bother, its just the little things like marshalling off to a grocery and back with supplies. We're so used to having autos here in the States.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:59 PM

Holland Park will be a wonderful place to stay. To answer your original question, I cannot think of any negatives.

I think this house must be at the Holland Park Avenue end of Abbotsbury Road as the other end mostly has up-scale modern houses. That means that Holland Park Tube station is less than 5 minutes walking. From there it is a 10-15 minute ride to Oxford Circus. 94 and 148 bus routes from Holland Park Ave also take you to Oxford Street. A 49 bus from nearby Holland Road will take you to South Kensington for the museums.

There are plenty of cafes, restaurants & pubs nearby, mainly on Holland Park Avenue. The M & S you mention is actually at Notting Hill Gate (that's still pretty close.) There is a small Tesco supermarket closer. For breakfast things I would recommend Paul on Holland Park Ave., which is a fairly authentic French bakery. Croissants, brioches etc. are excellent.

If your friends are into opera, the Holland Park opera festival will be underway in June. It's a beautiful semi-outdoor event in the ruins of the original 17th century Holland House. It's fun to hear the opera singers competing with the noisy peacocks which strut around Holland Park.

http://www.operahollandpark.com/
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:17 PM

On Marks and Spencer website they don't show a location on Holland Park Avenue but there is one at

Notting Hill Gate Simply Food 146-154 Notting Hill Gate London W11 3QG

which is between the Notting hill Gate and Hollard Park tube stations (and seems to be where Nottinghill Gate becomes Holland Park Avenue as it goes West). "Simply Food" is just a kind of an abbreviated grocery only version. (M&S is in its full size locations a department store a bit like Sears here in the US.)

And google maps shows a Tesco Express right near the Holland Park tube station. (Not sure where you are from but Tesco is a big supermarket chain in the UK and Tescow Express the "little sister" about like a 7-11 here in US.)

If they wanted a full service grocery store there is also a Waitrose at

Westfield London Shopping Centre, Ariel Way, London W12 7GA

For pub nearby we have enjoyed the Prince Albert near Nottinghill Gate tube station. It is a bit more "mod" than some and we enjoyed very good food there too. A great website to locate pubs is www.fancyapint.com which lets you search by tube station on on a map and has reviews and other good information.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
TC
Original Poster

You are all simply wonderful. You have made my friend feel at ease as I pass along your insight. You've made me wish I were joining this outing, too.

A million thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Villa" don't you just love those estate agent puff words.

It looks great TC and a good area.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM

Holland Park is an 'extremely' exclusive neighbourhood. The area of choice for billionaires, diplomats and media stars. Truly. I'd GRAB this let with both hands and never let go. There will be ample pubs and grocery options within walking distance as it's a residential area. How lovely!

BTW, it's an apartment rather than the whole house, but still....

Kate, London resident who could only dream of living in such a place!