Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any reason not to rent a car that uses diesel fuel (in France)?

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only car Auto Europe is showing for us (now--we had more choices at better rates a week ago--I'm kicking myself) for the dates/pick up points we want in France uses diesel fuel. Has anybody had a problem finding diesel? Also, can anybody suggest other car rental agencies (other than the obvious Hertz, etc.) that I should check? I'm trying to pick up at Rouen on 21 May and drop at Dinard on 5 June.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Diesel fuel is cheaper (a big consideration) and readily available. As for rental alternatives, try Europecar.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:12 AM
rex

Zero proble. All the reasons in the world that you SHOULD go for it. Often, you don't actully even get a choice.

Try also www.its-cars-hotels.com (which could still end up being Hertz, or Avis, or whoever - - but often cheaper, similar to autoeurope)

www.kemwel.com

or

www.travelocity.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Absolutely take the diesel! There's diesel at every station, and it's cheaper. Not a problem.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Ditto! The savings are considerable.
I wish a diesel car had been available for our last two Autoeurope rentals. We requested a diesel but didn't get it. We're hoping for one this summer when we pick up in Lyon.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Believe that Autoeurope and Europecar are the same.

EuropeBYcar is a different outfit. Good deals through them also. Check their website.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Not a problem at all--we've always rented diesel fuel cars.

BTW, diesel is often called "gazole" at the pumps.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Actually, AutoEurope and Europcar are not the same. Europcar is just one of the many affiliates in Europe that AutoEurope, a broker, uses.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:01 AM

St.Cirq is absolutely right. AutoEurope is the broker/wholesaler/consolidator who contracts with Europcar, Avis and other affiliates. Europcar is now AutoEurope's preferred supplier. AutoEurope and Kemwell are sister companies, but in my research for the lowest rate, I usually call both, because their quotes can often be slightly different. They do have access to each other's data banks.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:12 AM

One useful tip: when you stop for gas and want the attendant to fill the tank up, ask for "plein" (roughly pronounced "plan").
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Agree that diesel is the way to go. Our last two cars (rented through AutoEurope incidentally) were diesel and we saved a lot of money because of it.

It is my understanding that AutoEurope will match lower rates that you might find. Since you "are kicking yourself" you might want to advise them you had better rates and give them the circumstances.

As others have noted AutoEurope is a broker and rents cars from many agencies. We have had both Hertz and EuropeCar in the last few years rented through AutoEurope. I personally think they are great to work with, prompt to respond to e-mails, easy to contact, do what they say they are going to do, etc.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:48 AM

I stand corrected! Thank you, St Cirq and Maribel!

Europebycar is also a broker.

I use either europebycar or autoeurope for car rates. I also use autoeurope for flights and hotels at times.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM

I stand corrected! Thank you, St Cirq and Maribel!

Europebycar is also a broker. (Recognizing that Autoeurope is by far the more popular on Fodors)

I use either europebycar or autoeurope for car rates. I also use autoeurope to check for flights and hotels at times.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 11:50 AM

I read through the above posts pretty fast, but I think one point was missed. Not only is the diesel fuel cheaper, but most diesel cars get more mileage to the gallon than do the non-diesels, so you have a double savings. Go for it.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Posters are right about diesel fuel (gazole). In France it's about 25% cheaper and gives about 30% more miles per gallon. Very popular there, about half the cars run on it and is on sale at every station. The only drawback I can think of is it's a rather messy fuel to handle and frothes a lot. Try not to get it on your hands (difficult to wash off) or your shoes (can slip off the pedals). Some fuel stations provide disposable gloves near diesel pumps, or you can keep a pair of cheap work gloves in your car.