Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   any reading suggestions for trip to italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-reading-suggestions-for-trip-to-italy-270103/)

xxx Nov 1st, 2002 07:39 AM

any reading suggestions for trip to italy?

looking for a historical type of book...but suited for casual reading. already read under the tuscan sun.

elaine Nov 1st, 2002 07:48 AM

read it recently, it's called<BR>Sprezzatura<BR>brief essays about landmarks in Italian culture and history

claire Nov 1st, 2002 07:52 AM

Vanila Beans &amp; Brodo<BR><BR>Dances with Luigi<BR><BR>Desiring Italy (essays from many fine authors)<BR><BR>anything by or about Iris Origo

Pauline Nov 1st, 2002 07:54 AM

I'll give you some great advice, you must read 'Too Much Tuscan Sun' confessions of a Chianti Tour guide written by a Tuscan called Dario, you can order it directly through him at [email protected]

Eye Spy Nov 1st, 2002 09:29 AM

The classics of course!<BR><BR>Stenhal: Italian Chronicles<BR><BR>Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: Italian Journey<BR><BR>and one of the best social commentaries and a novel most Italians regard as the greatest Italian novel: The Betrothed (I Promessi Sposi) by Manzoni.<BR><BR>

Eye Spy Nov 1st, 2002 09:31 AM

Oops. Typed too fast: Stendhal (Marie-Henri Beyle)

Yawn Nov 1st, 2002 01:38 PM

The promessi Sposi is a classic, the most boring book in the world, ask any Italian and he will confirm

Frank Nov 1st, 2002 01:42 PM

Perhaps boring for you. If you like the period in which it plays, then it's wonderful and you won't start yawning. I yawned when I read your posting.

Rex Nov 1st, 2002 02:46 PM

Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture<BR>by Ross King<BR><BR>and currently on sale as a package with Sprezzatura.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Bob Nov 1st, 2002 03:42 PM

See the post by Rex above. I found this book on the building of the catheral in Florence while browsing in a book store. It made me want to return to Florence again as I now have a better appreciation for the construction. <BR><BR>The book is only about 165 pages but reads like fiction. If you are going to Florence, read it first. Ross King did a great job.

up Nov 2nd, 2002 03:45 AM

topping<BR>

Boring do not read Nov 2nd, 2002 04:28 AM

For FRank<BR> I agree I have many italian friends and they all have told that the Promessi Sposi is the most boring book in the world!

Rex Nov 2nd, 2002 05:15 AM

&lt;&lt;currently on sale as a package&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I failed to clarify - - this is a reference to www.amazon.com<BR>

elizabeth Nov 2nd, 2002 05:42 AM

My husband really enjoyed The Tuscan Year by Elizabeth Romer - A year in the life of a Tuscan Farm Kitchen. <BR><BR>&quot;Report on the Shroud of Turin&quot; by John Heller was also very interesting. It may be out of print now and hard to find but there are a couple of other Shroud books on Amazon.<BR>

Ann Nov 2nd, 2002 05:54 AM

The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone. On the life of Michelangelo, but it has an incredible amount of information. Most places in the book are still there in Florence, Rome and Bologna.

Maira Nov 2nd, 2002 06:11 AM

You asked for a historical book suited for casual reading, and I would strongly recommend &quot;The Pillars of the Earth&quot; by Ken Follett. I rad this book about 10 years ago and remains one of the best book I've ever read. The book narrates the story of the construction of a cathedral in 12th century England and the lives of the people involved around it. It is a great story, I could not put this book down.

Maira Nov 2nd, 2002 06:11 AM

You asked for a historical book suited for casual reading, and I would strongly recommend &quot;The Pillars of the Earth&quot; by Ken Follett. I read this book about 10 years ago and remains one of the best book I've ever read. The book narrates the story of the construction of a cathedral in 12th century England and the lives of the people involved around it. It is a great story, I could not put this book down.

Grasshopper Nov 2nd, 2002 06:24 AM

I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of The Agony and the Ecstasy. It was what sparked my love for Italy and Michealangelo. Also, A World Lit Only By Fire.

rising Nov 2nd, 2002 08:27 PM

like helium, but only briefly<BR>

Ward Nov 6th, 2002 09:13 AM

&quot;Captain Corelli's Mandolin&quot; is good, casual reading. Supposedly based on a true story you can put it down to go for a stroll in the Tuscan sun, then pick it up again. If I understand correctly, you want a book to read that will not take you away from all that Tuscany has to offer during your limited stay there. Then this is that book.<BR><BR>The first part is rather slow reading. And then it gets going and you'll read about an Italian army captain, who during WWII in Greece, moves in with a doctor and his daughter. <BR><BR>The book became a movie starring Nichlas Cage in the role of the captain. <BR><BR>Some critics thought Cage's Italian accent was atrocious. As for me it was fine....and, in my opinion, the best movie he has made since &quot;Con Air&quot;.