Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any questions? Just got back from 2 weeks in Provence and Ville Franche

Old May 12th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We rented a house in Menerbes and made day trips into several of the little "perched" villages and then spent 3 days in Ville Franche on the coast. Feel free to ask any questions...I might be able to give you some suggestions and recommendations.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM

That trip sounds just wonderful! Welcome home, and thank you for the generous offer to share what you saw and learned!

I will be in Ville Franche for five nights in July and can't wait. I have an itinerary in mind but would love to hear what your favorites were (or weren't). It sounds like you had a car, which I will not- so if you could keep in mind when recommending that I will need a train and/or bus.

I look forward to your suggestions, and thanks again!

Old May 12th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

We did have a car so I'm not familiar with the alternative transportation possibilities. We stayed at Hotel Provencal and it was delightful. This is a nice village to stroll, it's beautiful. The residents of this place were very sweet and helpful. Wander through the winding streets in the Old part of the city and be sure to eat pizza at the La Piazza on Place de la Republique...it was delicious and they were quite friendly. If at all possible visit the village of Eze- it was gorgeous and there were lots of lovely things to see including the gardens at the top of a very steep climb and the views from that point were breathtaking. There is a church and cemetery that are worth exploring. My husband played golf at the Monte Carlo golf course which was a real treat for him. The little town of La Turbie is located on the High Corniche and from there you have a stunning view looking down on Monte Carlo. You'll have a wonderful time - Villefranche is a perfect little place to spend a few days. Be sure and share your experience with me when you return...have a safe journey!
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:23 PM

I see thunderstorms in the forecast. Is my trip ruined?
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM
nbujic

Bus 100 goes from VF west to Nice or east to Monaco, Monte Carlo and Menton.
We really liked Menton !
Great service for 1.30 euros.

Old May 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM

caroltis

Thank you for sharing your experience with this forum.

Could you post details of your accommodation in Menerbes, price, contact details and most importantly your personal review.

s
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to take so long to respond...got back home to a few mini=crisis situations! You don't realize how much family depends on you until you leave the country for a month!
The house in Menerbes is on the website: www.theluberon.com Click on the 1-2 bedroom link and it's the first one listed. It says it's a 1 bedroom but it's gigantic and is separated where there is one queen bed and 3 twin size beds. This place is located at one end of the village, right near the little church and cemetery so it's very quiet and you feel as though you've got that part of Menerbes all to yourself. Absolutely no nightlife but we found that after visiting perched villages all day long and walking as much as we did...it was sublime coming "home" to this place that provided complete serenity and calm. We fell in love with it and couldn't recommend it more highly. I'm not exactly certain but I think we paid around 850 euros for one week but we may have squeaked into the last of the "early" season rates.
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM

caroltis

Thanks for the link. As a matter of interest, what was the weather like during your trip to the south of France? I am thinking about being there this time next year, say from mid April.

s
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Mornings and evenings were often quite cool...longsleeve, light sweater. Daytime temps upper 70's lower 80's as high. Always a breeze and that made it ever so pleasant. If you were in the shade it was very nice = I tend to hate the heat and I was never uncomfortable. Sunny days mostly - when it did rain it was a brief shower. Low humidity. In short, it was close to perfect a lovely time to visit. Only downside is there is no blooming lavendar or sunflowers.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Thank you for posting. Hotel Provencal looks too good to be true with the sea views and terrific prices. Is this really close to Cap Ferrat. Was the hotel as nice as it looks on the web. It says 115 Euros with sea view in high season for a double room, WOW!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Cap Ferrat is really close...I think you can walk to it pretty easily. We loved the Hotel Provencal. When I made the reservation I made it clear that I ONLY wanted a room that had a view of the water and I can't remember how much we paid but it was definitely very reasonable, especially since it includes a very nice breakfast in a lovely setting. If you look up the Hotel on TripAdvisor there are conflicting reports about the condition of the Hotel...all I know is we thought it to be a wonderful place and we are pretty particular.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:58 PM

suze1

I also suggest you check out Hotel Welcome, it is in Villefranche-sur-mer as well, just before Cap Ferrat coming from Nice.

s
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM

How does Clair Logis in Cap-Ferrat compare to Hotel Provencale and Hotel Welcome. I'll need to pick one out of the 3.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM

I was in Villefranche and Eze last fall, just for the day. Loved both. We hiked down the hill from Eze- the scenery was breathtaking.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on a post re:Menerbes...

Author: Kestrel ([email protected])
Date: 06/02/2007, 07:42 pm
We are going to Menerbes next week and I know you need to depend on the open air markets for food primarily, but upon arrival, and before you learn where these all are - is there a place to provision near-by just to buy essential groceries?

It caught my attention b/c I stayed in a small town in Languedoc in April, and the woman that rented the house to us recommended Menerbes to me for hiking. I wasn't able to go (sniff)...

Anyway, in case you missed it and she doesn't post again, I thought you might be able to answer Kestrel's question before she leaves next week.

Bloom

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:29 AM

suze1

I don't know Clar Logis in Cap Ferrat but did stay at Hotel Panoramique this time last year in Cap Ferrat. Good value @120E per night. Located on top of Cap Ferrat near Villa Ephrussi de Rothchild. V good view from room balcony but no a/c in room. Brise Marine in Cap Ferrat is also a good choice.

In Villefranche, Hotel Welcome is the pick. Book way ahead for a seaview room.

s
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM

How did you even reserve Hotel Panoramic, I don't see a web site for them when I google it.

Was this a good place to locate yourself. Did you have sea views?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

We shopped for groceries at LeClerc and Auchan in Cavaillon...minutes from Menerbes. Both are large but Auchan resembles a WalMart. Le Clerc is located right at the round about. Auchan is located a couple blocks to the right as you're leaving Cavaillon toward Menerbes.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM

On my first trip to France I stayed in Villefranche at the Provencal Hotel with a view of the water.

Mind you if you are taking the train it is a very long hike from the station to the hotel, through town and up a very steep hill.

Our room was charming and inexpensive with a wonderful breakfast served in the garden.

On my second trip we were not as fortunate with our room. There was no view and the room was totally lemon yellow formica. Headboards, desk, etc. Ugly. The price was reasonable though and the breakfast was the same.

From my point of view the Hotel Welcome would be the first choice as all their rooms are grand, but a little more pricey. It was busy on both of my trips.

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 04:36 AM

suze1

We did not make reservation at the Hotel Le Panoramic, we just showed up. Ample parking in front of the hotel. Its website is

www.hotel-lepanoramic.com
and email
[email protected]

I believe all the rooms at this hotel has harbour views overlooking the Cap Ferrat marina. From the hotel it's about a 10-minute walk downhill to the marina.

The restaurant we dined at was called Restaurant Le Pirate located on the waterfront which is lined with seafood restaurants. This one was the busiest.

Good luck and enjoy!

s
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM

caroltis,
Thanks for your offer or advice to us novices! We are leaving next week for 4 days near Joucas/Gordes. We want to take a 1 day trip to several hill towns in the area - which ones are most scenic?

On another day we hope to drive to see the Pont du Gard and then Les Baux/St. Remy. Will we be able to fit these 3 sites into 1 day? Also when is the best time to see the sites? early morning or later with sunsets?

thanks for your thoughts, dlynn

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -