Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

any other ideas on changes Fodors could make?

Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:56 AM
fiona

I'll start the ball rolling. I would like a forum for us to write our own hotel and restaurant reviews. At present we can only review those chosen by Fodors.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:08 AM
Patrick

Huh? I thought that's what rants and raves is -- reader's reviews.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:17 AM
fiona

Patrick
I can only post a review on a hotel that has been chosen by Fodors. There are also some popular destinations where there are no reviews.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:22 AM
raisin

tripadvisor.com is a good site for all that sort of stuff...it also includes Fodors' reviews if available among many others

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:04 AM
Rex

What's with the "geez louise"? Fiona's suggestion is right on target. Condescending, anonymous posts like yours are gonna disappear with registration, "raisin".

Other very simple things that they could implement:

1. Instructions on how to cite an old post. I have posted this dozens of times.

2. More clear-cut info on how to properly word a message header, and maybe even append the country right in the header when the poster fails to mention it - - like this: "Have you ever stayed in this hotel? (Denmark)"

3. Update the indexing REGULARLY, preferably every DAY. Or at least explain to newcomers that they cannot find their old post by searching during the (sometimes very lengthy) time window between indexing updates. for example, no update of the indexing today since January 9.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:05 AM
ruth

what about a seperate forum for tour operators/DIY holiday advice/and seperate forums for popular destinations eg France, Italy.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:22 AM
Bill

ruth had the same thought I have: Have individual forums for the most popular destinations.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:28 AM
cmt

I would like a search function that works. I'd like it better if it were not so simple and if it allowed search queries to be framed in several different ways (e.g., search for ANY of these words, or ALL these words, or PHRASE ONLY, or these words with certain connectors). But if that's too much, I'd just like it to work, howver rudimentary it might be.

Assuming that the site would remain free, I'd also very much like to be able to edit and delete my own posts. However, I would not be interested in any upgrades that would cause the site to charge. I would not pay to use the site.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:29 AM
steve

Don't change the way the topics are listed on the left and the detail on the right. It is by far the easiest forum I use, visiting about every day. I rarely visit other forums to browse because they are so awkward.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:30 AM
xxx

Raisin's reply being condescending missed me somehow. tripadvisor.com is a useful site for getting information. I use trip advisor and Fodors for hotel and restaurant reviews.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:33 AM
Patrick

And, fiona, I missed your point. Yes, I forgot about not being able to review hotels other than what Fodor's has already selected.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:37 AM
I

I am sceptical to individual forums for the most popular destinations. Maybe this forum is one of the best (the best?) of its kind because there are so much traffic. If you split it up, there will be less questions and replies. Quantity is sometimes better than quality.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:37 AM
jj

spell check!

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:39 AM
John

Rather than censor out political or other "non-travel" topics, I'd suggest Fodors copy the approach used by flyertalk.com (great - registered - site) by creating an "omni" forum, in which such threads are concentrated. Unanswered in Fodor's announcement is whether there will be non-Fodors "moderators" selected for the various boards, and how, if there are, they'll be chosen and overseen.

I don't think registration is going to dampen the humorous or "fun" threads, quite the contrary. But racist or profane postings have no place here, and never have.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:40 AM
Elena

Another vote for an EDIT feature.

Another vote for better search feature.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:45 AM
Wales

How can a spell checker ever work for place names? Here is a start on place names that woulr need to be loaded into the spell checker for my favorite country:

Aberaeron, Aberdare, Aberdyfi, Abergavenny, Abergele, Abersoch, Abertillery, Aberystwyth, Amlwch, Ammanford, Arthog, Bagillt, Bala, Bangor, Barmouth, Barry, Beaumaris, Beddgelert, Betws-y-Coed, Blackwood, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Brecon, Bridgend, Brynmawr, Buckley, Builth Wells, Burry Port, Caernarfon, Caerphilly, Caerwys, Caldicot, Capel Curig, Cardiff, Cardigan, Carmarthen, Carno, Chepstow, Clyro, Colwyn Bay, Connah's Quay, Conwy, Corris, Cowbridge, Criccieth, Crickhowell, Crynant, Cwmbran, Deeside, Denbigh, Dinas Powys, Dolgellau, Ebbw Vale, Fishguard, Flint, Ganllwyd, Gellilydan, Gorseinon, Gwalchmai, Haverfordwest, Hawarden, Hay-on-Wye, Holyhead, Holywell, Keeston, Knighton, Lampeter, Laugharne, Llanbedr, Llanberis, Llanbister, Llancarfan, Llandarcy, Llandegla, Llandeilo, Llandogo, Llandovery, Llandow, Llandrillo, Llandrindod Wells, Llandudno, Llandybie, Llandysul, Llanelli, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Llanfyllin, Llangammarch Wells, Llangollen, Llanidloes, Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, Llanrhidian, Llanrug, Llanrwst, Llansteffan, Llantrisant, Llantwit Major, Llanwrtyd Wells, Machynlleth, Maesteg, Merthyr Tydfil, Milford Haven, Mold, Monmouth, Montgomery, Morfa Nefyn, Mumbles, The, Mynachlog-ddu, Narberth, Neath, Newbridge on Wye, Newcastle Emlyn, Newport, Newtown, Nolton, Ogmore by Sea, Pandy, Pembroke, Pen-y-ffordd, Penarth, Penmaenmawr, Penrhyndeudraeth, Pentraeth, Pentre, Pont-rhyd-y-groes, Pontyberem, Pontypool, Pontypridd, Port Talbot, Porth, Porthcawl, Porthkerry, Porthmadog, Portmeirion, Prestatyn, Presteigne, Pwllheli, Raglan, Reynoldston, Rhayader, Rhosneigr, Rhuddlan, Rhyl, Rhymni, Ruthin, Saundersfoot, St. Brides Wentlooge, St. Clears, St. Davids, Sully, Swansea, Taffs Well, Taibach, Tal-y-bont, Talbot Green, Talgarth, Tenby, Tredegar, Tregaron, Tywyn, Waunarlwydd, Welshpool, Wrexham

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:52 AM
Welshi

Is there a McDonalds in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll?

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:56 AM
HowGreenWasMy

Are shorts appropriate in Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant in March?

Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:01 PM
Alice

We already tried the separate forums by country... pretty divided response to that, a lot of travelers want help with itineraries that span multiple countries. I like it 'all in', with the Country filters.
Agree w/ idea to be able to add hotels to the Rants/Raves; yes, TripAdvisor is good for that, but this would be an additional resource.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:02 PM
fiona

I agree with John's suggestion. The forum I use the most has a non-travel forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO