Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any opinions about the Craven Gardens Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need reviews on Craven Gardens in Bayswater. No advice listed on Trip Advisor. Looks nice and in our $ range. Any help?
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Anouska Hempel just tries too hard. Avoid her and Ian Schrager. And Craven Gardens is the only luxury hotel in an area that is otherwise very brutal.. reminds me of the area around Penn Station. I'd try to secure a room at the Metropolitan, Halkin or One Aldwych. They are less pretentious and are the bona fide london boutique hotels.. and the locations are excellent, Mayfair and Covent Garden.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 12:54 PM

One review but it's a year old. Doesn't sound too bad.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n_England.html
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:51 PM

I really don't know what optiggg is talking about. The Craven Gardens is only a 3 star hotel - nothing wrong with it but it's rates are hundreds of £ less than the Halkin or One Aldwych. Not comparable to those hotels at all.

If you want to stay in Bayswater the Craven Gardens would be one of the better choices. It is close to Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park, is far enough from Paddington to avoid the dodgier areas, and is close to a couple of tube stations.

bayswater is not my favorite area to stay - but there is nothing really wrong with it.

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:35 AM

Craven is a four star, compared to Halkin's and Aldwych's five. Craven's rates begin at 300 pounds sterling, versus Halkins 400 and Alwych's 365. All rates can be found on the official websites.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:51 AM

I think optiqqq is thinking of The Hempel Hotel , which is located at Craven Hill Gardens

Tia is asking about Craven Gardens on Leinster Terrace,Bayswater.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:29 AM

jody: I think you must be right. The Craven Gardens is nothing near a 4star.

That is one thing visitors to London often don't realize. There are MANY hotels with similar names. Same goes for streets. There are probably more than fifty roads streets w/ Kensington in the name. And more than 20 "Craven's". It is really important to use the full name or full address when asking about a place because there are just so many similarities.

Tia: Don't worry. The Craven Gardens will not cost you a fraction of £300 per night.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Oh I hope I haven't misled you! I was mistaken. It is simply called Hempel. I'm forgetting how jammed Bayswater is with hotels. I know nothing of Craven Gardens. Lets hope she returns..
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Not a problem!! I actually decided to use Priceline and got a four star for $85/night (Thistle Bloomsbury). Didn't really want the big hotel thing on this trip, but couldn't find anything we wanted in our price range, so opted for Priceline. Never used it before, so hoping things work out fine when we arrive! Thank you for all who posted to my question, though!!!!