Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any non-smoking hotel rooms in Paris 5e or 6e?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Rita

Hi! I've never tried to "chat" via the internet before, but you all look like a friendly bunch! Question is this: I, my husband and 2 kids (ages 10 & 7) are going to Paris for 4 days in early June. We don't smoke and are used to availabiity of non-smoking hotel rooms. It seems Paris is full of chain-smoking people. Are there any decent hotels in the 5e or 6e that have a non-smoking room for 4 people or should I just become a smoker myself?! Help!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:40 AM
elaine

Hi Rita
I don't know of any no-smoking hotel rooms, although I've been lucky enough to stay in places that have not smelled of smoke. You don't say what you want to spend. My edition of the reliable book "Cheap Sleeps in Paris"is a few years old now, but it mentions that the Libertel chain of hotels devotes at least one floor of its rooms in each hotel to non-smokers.
You can do a search on this message board for libertel hotels--one that has been recommended is the libertel bellechasse, great location, but some of the rooms seem to be exceptionally small so you need to confirm exactly what you are getting. My "Cheap Sleeps" book mentions that that hotel has suites on the upper floors, but non-smoking rooms are on the first floor. Libertel itself has a website I'm sure. The Cheap Sleeps book mentions and praises several others in Paris.
I have a file on Paris (though no info on non-smoking); if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:46 AM
kate

we ask for non-smoking rooms whenever we make reservations.They might not be strictly non smoking, but it helps.
You won't actually have to become a smoker,about the 3rd day in Paris, I start coughing just like I smoke a pack a day.Your clothes will smell, your hair will smell, but when you go home it will all go away,but it is WORTH IT!!
Have a great time..
One of the Big Travel Rules I have learned,
Don't sweat the small stuff

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:51 AM
elaine

unlike kate, I've never come home with hair, clothes, or any other stuff smelling like smoke. I don't like smokiness in rooms at all, but I've never detected a problem. A few corner bistro-type places might be a little smoky because the cafes are small.
Once in a nicer restaurant we were seated next to chimney smokers, and we politely asked to be moved and we
courteously were. Over the years, I've noticed much less smoking than there used to be.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Former Smoker

Kate,

You are to be congratulated on your attitude.

There have been so many threads on this site worried about smoking in Europe. If you are that worried, don't go. Simple!

As a (still healthy) former 3 pack a dayer (coming up on 4 years May 6), you are going to their home, not yours. Like it or leave it. No sniveling allowed.

Former

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Sue

I have booked a non-smoking room at Hotel D'Aubusson where there is an entire non-smoking floor.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 12:40 PM
pam

Welcome Kate and please disregard "former smokers" unfriendliness. Unfortunately, it is kind of a "you've got to be lucky" situation.Some hotel rooms smell fresh and clean while others...
Although I am not familiar with any "french" hotel banning smoking in the rooms, there ARE American hotels which do. Of course you are making a big "trade-off" here as part of the fun of France (I'm told and will find out this summer) is staying at the Parisien hotels. There are Marriots and other American "chains" in France. You might try looking into those if this is really an important issue with you.
Hope you have a wonderful time.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 12:43 PM
pam

Wow...just learned that there really ARE smoke free hotels. None of the ones I looked at though.
Here is a site for you which lists some of them. Hope this is helpful.
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/paris.shtml

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 02:22 PM
deena

We had a non-smoking room at the wonderful Lutetia Hotel.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Lily

Rita: Haven't tried this service but www.RentParis.com has listed a good number of apartments that are non-smoking. Thought this might be a good alternative to a couple with children. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Rita

Dear Pam, Deena, Lily, Sue, Elaine & Kate:
Thank you all for the suggestions! As a family we ARE looking for the Paris experience - not cookie-cutter American hotels; however, we do enjoy breathing clean air (aren't we pathetic?). It's nice to know there are some options besides bringing an oxygen tank! Appreciate the help!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:01 AM
a--z

Rita:

Keyed in "Libertel" on my browser & appears to be part of chain affiliated under Mercure. Found three hotels listed in 5th arr. At least one (listed below) identifies 16 of their 36 rooms as non-smoking. Another issue you may not be aware of is that Parisiennes love their dogs. This hotel 'welcomes dogs'; if anyone in the family is allergic to animals that's another consideration.

Libertel Paris Maxim
28 Rue Censier
75005, PARIS
Tel : (+33)1/43311615
Fax : (+33)1/43319387
E-mail : [email protected]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:04 AM
a--z

. . .
Oh, here's that website from which I found the Libertel Paris Maxim.
http://www.mercure.com/mercure/gb/libertel/index.html

Libertel brand is part of the Mercure hotel network.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Julie

Kate,

Hi Rita,

We have spent a lot of time in France, and have never had a problem with smoky hotel rooms. Restaurants, bars, etc. are another story.

The Hotel D'Aubusson would be an excellent choice. The rooms are lovely, and the location is perfect.
When you make a reservation, let them know you are sensitive to smoke, and they will likely try to accomodate you (especially at 3-5 star hotels). Follow up by email or fax if you like. I have found Europeans to very upfront about likes/dislikes. They usually expect to show you a room before you make a reservation (sometimes even if it is already occupied!).

Also, Brasserie Bofinger near the Bastille has a real non-smoking section, not just a sign. It's across the streeet from Petite Bofinger, which has a non-smoking section as well. Since you will be going in summer, you can take picnics and eat outside a lot to avoid smoke.

By the way, my husband and are both non-smokers (from Northern California), and always have a great time in Paris. The museums and taxis are smoke-free, as is the Metro. No one really smokes in the shops, either. If you go into the countryside, you will find many non-smoking chateaus and B&Bs. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:58 AM
ttt-ttt

bump up for more input

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 11:30 AM
please

Pam - I only get restaurants when I check the smokefree website and I can't seem to locate the hotel section. Could you please tell me how to reach the smoke free hotels.

Thank you

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Tim

We had a great non-smoking room at Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the 5e. It's a great place, but no TV for the kids. By the way, I didn't find the smoking in Paris as "bad" as ten years ago, but that might be because I was prepared for it. Hey, it's their country, right?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:41 AM
elaine

topping