Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any need for Rome "meet and greet" service at airport?

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Beverly

I'm flying into Rome in May, and wondered if there was any need for a "meet and greet" service to get me through customs, baggage claim, and to my hotel in the city. The reason I ask: I used such a service in Cairo this past year, and it was the best decision ever made to make my travel experience go smoothly. If you've used such a service, I'd love to know the name and contact info. Thanks!

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Ed

Beverly:
We went last summer with our 2 young children and did not use such a service. I don't recall Rome being that big of a deal to navigate and also our hotel provided a shuttle. I have heard that the train from the airport to the city is efficient.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Vita

I just took the train and a taxi to my hotel once I got to Rome. No problems.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Beverly

Thank you - I appreciate your help! Can't wait to go!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 03:01 PM
nancy

agree with ED and vita.
We had our 2 children , and even though we were all VERY tired, it was easy to get out of the airport,
and the cabs are lined up right outside.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Walter

I saved the website, I believe this is the one everyone raves about www.limoservicerome.com (do a search on it). It seems to be cheaper than a taxi for 3 people and ~equal the price for 4. I only did a limo once (1st trip) with I forget who. But it's nice to walk out of the "secure" Arrivals exit (Customs & baggage claim is your responsibilty) and see the man holding a sign with your name on it. Two minutes later you're on your way *speeding* to your hotel. Regards, Walter

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Christine

When you arrive in Rome, you can easily take the train. If there's only one person, it's much cheaper than the @$40 cost of a taxi, plus any other surcharges for luggage or time of day.

Follow the signs to the train to Rome Termini. Find the small machines (they have English instructions) which sell tickets to Rome using your credit card -- Cost about $8. Stamp the ticket in the machine on the track and board the next train. When you get to Rome, follow signs to the first exit and take a cab to your hotel or walk.

Private car drivers will offer to take you to Rome from the airport. Usually, this isn't a problem, but negotiate the cost ahead of time. No more than $35. They will usually take at least two fares, so you may be the second one dropped off.

Whatever you do, you will have the time of your life!