Reload this Page >

Any Must-sees in Rome?

Search

Any Must-sees in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2000, 08:02 PM
Rachelle

Any Must-sees in Rome?

HI we are 4 college students planning to visit Rome for around 4 days & there are just too many museums to be squeezed within a short schedule. So just wondering if there are any must-sees in Rome <BR>also is it true that we must q up really early for the Sistine Chapel? <BR>Any good advice for cheap-and-nice food? <BR>Our accomm is near the Stazione Termini at Via Gaeta - is it safe? <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>

Old May 8th, 2000, 10:06 PM
Joanna

Just about everything in Rome is a "must see" - that's why three visits haven't been enough for me! My must sees include St. Peters and the Vatican Museums (yes you'll have quite a queue for the Sistine Chapel), Capitoline Museum, Fora and Colosseum, Villa Guilia (Etruscan collection), walks around Trastavere (incl. its churches), Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain areas, San Clemente - the list goes on! Plus the old Archaeological Museum that has reopened since my last visit (nearly two years ago, moan!). <BR> <BR>I stayed at an hotel in Via Gaeta last time. It was very nice and I didn't have any problems. In fact, the shower was better than the Excelsior's!

Old May 9th, 2000, 05:27 AM
mogilus

Any must-sees in Rome? What a question! No, sorry, there is nothing worth seeing in Rome. Recommend you skip it. Ever heard of a guide book?

Old May 9th, 2000, 06:37 AM
Brendan

Everything is a must see. But my favorite was the Panteon at night. <BR>Truely amazing. <BR> <BR>Have a great time.

Old May 9th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Carol

Wow Mogilus how sweet of you to bother to reply!!! Yes I think we have all heard of guide books, but I think the point of the question was to get personal opinions on must sees if one only has a few days. Maybe someone with a more helpful spirit could answer this one for us. I too will be in Rome soon, with only three days to fit as much as possible in. Thanks in advance : )

Old May 9th, 2000, 12:46 PM
carol

Rome must-sees: Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Piazza di Spagna, Piazza del Popolo (and Santa Maria del Popolo with its fabulous Caravaggios), Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Via Guila, Trastevere. St. Peter's and Vatican Museums. Colosseum, Forum, Palatine and Capitoline. <BR> <BR>re Sistine Chapel. Yes, you should arrive at 8:00 am to queue up for the 8:45 opening and dash directly to the Chapel if you want to see it without wall-to-wall people. Rome is the most incredible city. You will fall in love with it, mark my words!

Old May 9th, 2000, 12:51 PM
howard

To Rachelle (and Carol, too): <BR>While you might not appreciate Mogilus' comments, he does have very good point. Anyone who starts off her posting with "Any must-sees in Rome?" certainly gives the impression of having done no homework. <BR>A lot of us "regulars" on the forum are very happy to share our experiences with others. And, a quick perusal of the forum will certainly confirm that. But, c'mon, you've got do a little bit of the work, too! <BR>Buy yourself a guidebook or two, read about Rome, gain some insights and knowledge about this incredible city, makes notes on what you might like to see and/or sound interesting.....then, come back with your questions! Since you are college students, I assume you have developed some research skills! <BR>(To Joanna: What good is the best advice available on Rome if you don't know much about what's being recommended?)

Old May 9th, 2000, 01:53 PM
Denise

I am not sure if this is true all the time, but I would suggest going to the Sistene Chapel on Wednesday morning. I woke up my family at 6AM to get in line by 8AM for an 8:45 opening. When we got out (about 11 AM) there was no line at all to get in. Why?? Well it turns out the Pope was out in front by St. Peters and everyone was there and not at the Sistene Chapel. I agree with everyone regarding must see's. Walk everywhere. As for good places to eat, I would suggest Trastevere. Alot of young people eating in this area. Loved a place called Cavecanem. Fantastic pizza(especially pizza caprese), pasta, calzones, etc. Worth the wait. Trastevere is across the river. We stayed in the Campo di Fiori area and crossed over the Bridge nearby(drawing a blank on the street name). It's the street by the train stop "Largo Argentino" where the trolly's go across the bridge. bIf you walk across, make the first right and walk about 3 blocks to the first Piazza. Turn left and pass by Sabatini's (expensive restaurant in all guide books). Keep walking about 1 block and you will see Cavecanem. Also you must eat the Jerusalem fried artichokes and stuffed zucchini blossoms. You will never taste anything like them. Most restaurants in the Campo di Fiori area and Jewish Ghetto make them. <BR>Enjoy, <BR> Denise <BR>If you need any further info, email me directly and I will look up my info for you. I am back 1 week and already I am forgetting!!

Old May 9th, 2000, 06:43 PM
Dave

Roma...Such a fascinating place. Not to be missed... Spanish Steps (We were fortunate to be their in April when the bougainvillas were in bloom, The Colliseum (awe inspiring), Trevi Fountain, all of the Piazzas. The Vatican. Europeans love to congregate. Enjoy it with them but, be careful of the pickpockets! You can check out my Italy pictures including one of my favorite, the picture of the Spanish Steps in bloom at "www.CrazyAboutTravel.com <BR>-Dave-

Old May 9th, 2000, 07:00 PM
sally

Rachelle: <BR>No one has mentioned the Villa Borghese w/ it's park and museum. I haven't seen it, but plan to when I visit in Oct. I don't know if Fodor's guide devotes any space to it, but if not, the DK Travel Guides Millenium Edition Rome does, and it looks wonderful!! P.S. DK stands for Dorling Kindersley.

Old May 10th, 2000, 02:51 AM
Laura

Hi, <BR> <BR>I'm just back from Rome and loved it all! The usual "must-see's" speak for themselves but there is one that I found totally by accident. Don't miss the church of St. Ignacias (sp?) I cannot remember the address off hand, but it's not far from the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps. It doesn't look much from the outside, but the inside!!! The ceiling is flat and painted with in-depth perspection. It's truly amazing! <BR> <BR>Laura

Old May 10th, 2000, 03:42 AM
Rich

Howard and Mogilus----you two must have nothing better to do than display your arrogance and ignorance to the rest of us who are simply looking for friendly advice.

Old May 10th, 2000, 03:51 AM
Howard

Hello - <BR> <BR>I think the question as posed was a fair one, and should not be treated with disdain, as several responders have done. If one had asked, "what is there to see in Rome", it would imply a lack of research, though in my mind, still a valid question for this forum. I think that the question posed here asked for an opinion, that is - given a limited amount of time, what should one not miss in Rome? Personal responses in a forum like this could provide a far different answer than what is listed in a guide book as the most prominent sites for a given city.

Old May 10th, 2000, 04:40 AM
howard

Sorry, Rich and the other Howard, but I hardly think I'm arrogant for suggesting that a person do at least some research before embarking on a trip. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, but anyone who asks, "Any Must-sees in Rome?" hasn't done much, if any, research. <BR>And Rich, if you're a regular on this or the U.S. forum, you would know that I have often offered what I think has been most helpful advice with frequency! <BR>Sorry, fellow, but I don't accept the "arrogant and ingorant" tag! By the way, where's your advice?

Old May 10th, 2000, 03:56 PM
howard

Yes, I know, I misspelled "ignorant!"

Old May 10th, 2000, 04:08 PM
sybil

I have received excellent information from this Forum. However, I was surprised at the question and find it odd that Howard (the first) and Mogilus got slammed by other posters. As a researcher (not travel-related) I find the question actually a bit arrogant. If one just did a websearch, the very least one would find is so much information that a posting stating help me decide what to see (and help me eliminate) would have shown a more 'hands on' approach.