Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any information on the Koryu B&B in Bath?(I also have others to choose from) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-information-on-the-koryu-b-and-b-in-bath-i-also-have-others-to-choose-from-461306/)

FromAtlanta Jul 20th, 2004 08:24 PM

Any information on the Koryu B&B in Bath?(I also have others to choose from)

I am trying to find a very nice relatively inexpensive B&B in Bath. Here are my top 4 (so far)

Koryu (Japanese) B&B
Lavendar House
Beckford House
Oldfields Hotel

Any info on these is GREATLY appreciated!!! (or if you can recommend any others ... non smoking, single, w/ ensuite or private bath. (I HAVE TO have my own bathroom/toilet due to chronic illness ... not because I am afraid to share :) I am always afraid someone might think I am a travel snob)

FromAtlanta Jul 23rd, 2004 06:16 AM

Am I to assume no one has stayed in a B&B in Bath? I can't believe I got ZERO replies :(

kaudrey Jul 23rd, 2004 06:37 AM

Hi Atlanta,

Yes, I have stayed at a B&B in Bath. A lovely one that wasn't too expensive. But it wasn't one of these 4, so I can't give an opinion on them.

I loved the one I stayed at. It was called Brompton House, and on www.smoothhound.co.uk, the price for a single is 34 GBP. The rooms were lovely, breakfast was great. It's a 5 minute walk to the bridge, about 7 minutes to the Roman Baths. It has it's own website also, which you can link to from www.smoothhound.

Karen

FromAtlanta Jul 23rd, 2004 07:10 AM

Thanks Karen,
But I looked at their website and it said the tariff for a single room (in Summer) is L44-70!! That is a lot more than I want to spend because I will also be staying at B&Bs in London, Brighton, and Brugge.
I appreciate your help though. :)

ichiban Jul 25th, 2004 09:19 AM

Another option is the North Lodge Guest House...it's right across the street from a park and ride bus service that drops you off in downtown Bath, as parking in town is a nightmare. Do a google search, they have a site. The rooms were nice (we had 4 of the 6 or 7), each with it's own bathroom. Sorry, I don't remember the cost, but I'm sure it had to be affordable as I was booking accommodations for 9 people. Hope this helps!

Marilyn Jul 25th, 2004 11:15 AM

FromAtlanta, I think the problem is that there are SO many B&B's in Bath that you're just not finding fodorites who've stayed at one of these four. When I was planning a trip some years ago I was totally overwhelmed by the choices -- hundreds of them!

Try doing a search, or post asking for an "inexpensive B&B in Bath" and see if you get a better response.

FromAtlanta Jul 25th, 2004 11:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. Yes, there are PLENTY of B&Bs in Bath. (although I did read a recent article that tourism was way down and many B&Bs are being forced to close... the Thermal Spa STILL not being complete is not helping as many B&Bs have been counting on and advertising the completion for well over 2 years now...another topic in itself)

Anyway, I think I am pretty much settled on the Koryu. The hostess wrote me a very nice email and it sounds wonderful and the price is certainly right. :)