Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any information on bike rentals at Fontainebleau or Versailles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:26 PM
Alice

Does anyone know of a place to rent bikes by Fontainebleau or Versailles chateaux? Are you permitted to ride them on the grounds? Would prefer to rent 'hourly' rather than some kind of organized biking tour. Thanks for any info you may have.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:32 PM
David

There is a place on the grounds of Versailles where you can rent bikes by the hour and ride around in the park there. It looked like a lot of fun<BR><BR>The rental stand was next to the restaurant that's near the big fountains, on the park side of the palace.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:43 PM
Alice

Thanks, David...sounds just right...

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:52 PM
Howard

From the research I've done, the rate in 2001 was around $4-5 an hour.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:19 AM
Veronica

I just returned from Paris and did cycling in Versailles. It was the most wonderful part of the trip. I rented a bike and tour around tha Canel. It took me an hour to circle around with time for photo taking and rest. It costed EUR5 an hour.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
Alice

Thanks, everyone... appreciate the input.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:27 PM
danna

Verionica - <BR><BR>What type of bikes were available? Were they racing-type road bikes or something else? Do you think this would be a suitable location for some fairly intense biking? any hills? It's killing my husband not to be able to "train" for a few days while we are in Paris Thanks for the help.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Veronica

I am afraid that all are leisure type but not racing type. The roads are straght and plain, but no hills at all.