Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Info./Reviews re: Ebury Wine Bar/Restaurant in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recent information or reviews on Belgravia's Ebury Wine Bar/Restaurant? I'd particularly like to hear opinions from m_kingdom2 (or anyone else particularly well versed in the London restaurant scene). We are not looking for haute cuisine, or the attitude which frequently accompanies it, just a very good meal and wine in a moderate to moderately high price range (i.e., GBP 30 to 40 or so per person). We had dinner there a number of years ago and left with fond memories which still linger. Thanks for any help/information.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:09 AM

I've not been there recently either David, but www.Hardens.com rates it as "good" and says in essence, a long wine list, a short menu. A cheerful place that's usually busy and can get smokey. They estimate £39/
person for a three-course dinner with half a bottle of house wine and coffee, any cover charge, service and VAT.

I used it when staying at the Lime Tree Hotel next door and also had good experiences there but I think it sounds too expensive for what I remember. If you want some nostalgia, it sounds fine, but I'm sure there are better places at that price. If you go to www.hardens.com you can find plenty of places if mkingdom doesn't appear.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:07 PM

I had dinner there last week and the food was good- as was the wine. They do get a fair number of tourists in due to the location. We were in the back of the dining room and the smoke was not bad at all. I only noticed it when we were leaving (through the bar section). There were six of us and we all enjoyed our food (and our wines). I'd go back soon.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Not a place I'd ever go to. It's a local restaurant, not of international merit. It's the equivalent of one going to their nearest high st. restaurant in the smaller towns of the UK. Tourists will patronise it.

I'd like to see people trying The Wolsey in Piccadilly - a similar concept to The Ivy, but easier to get a table. Try it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's in a similar price range. It's not haute cuisine but classics with a twist. They do salads and snacks too.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to mclaurie, highledge and m_kingdom2 for your responses. I'm glad you pointed me to hardens.com, mclaurie, as I was unaware of that website. I also appreciate your very recent review, highledge. As for m_kingdom2's suggestion regarding Wolsey, we are adding it to our list, along with a likely repeat visit to Ebury Wine Bar/Restaurant as we are, after all, tourists ourselves. Thanks again to each of you for the helpful responses.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Try to reserve ahead in advance at The Wolsey - request a window table, you don't want one near the back! I'd do dinner there rather than lunch, I'm not a great lunch person, but if you are and that's all they've got then do a lunch and a much lighter evening meal.

Also I'd like you to try Speck in Thayer St. ( a continuation of Marylebone High St. W1 if you are walking it) a small Italian delicatessen with a large communal table - pastas, antipasti, carne - where the easy, and ultra affordable food is served. Another branch (not visited by myself) in Holland Park, W11
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

m_kingdom2: Where, precisely, is The Wolsey located? This trip we are staying at the Le Meridien Piccadilly. Is it in the proximity of the Le Meridien? I'll book a window table upon our arrival. I had previously seen your posts/reviews regarding Speck and had already added it to our list as a possible spot for lunch one day (probably on a shopping day as I believe it is located not too far north of Oxford Street. Am I correct???) Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM

It's next to The Ritz, actually in Piccadilly, a short walk from your hotel.

Speck is, as you stated, north of Oxford St. and the Marylebone area could be coupled with a visit to the Wallace Collection if you so desired.