Any info on Rue Amelie area?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Linda

Any info on Rue Amelie area?

This is our first trip to Paris and we are staying at the Les Jardins d'Eiffel on 8, Rue Amelie. Can anyone give us some feedback on the area and/or hotel? We appreciate your help!

Linda and Mike

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Donna

It's right around the corner from rue Cler of Rick Steves fame and only a couple of blocks from the Seine. You'll love neighborhood!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:37 PM
JB

I stayed in the rue St. Dominique in February, which intersects with the very short rue Amelie. Rue St. Dominique is one of the main "shopping" streets of that area, and it was very nice, with an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower. I loved being in the 7th and felt right at home there; after a week I felt like it was "my" neighborhood and even got to give directions (to rue Amelie, wouldn't you know it!) to an elderly French couple who asked me where that street was. All the people we met around those parts were charming and friendly.

However, even though it's a great area for restaurants, specialty food items (especially in the rue Cler), and there are bakeries everywhere, there's not a whole lot in the way of shopping for things like housewares or clothes, if you're in the market for such things. (Although it's not like a quick metro ride in a bunch of directions couldn't get you to such areas asap!) There are a few little boutiques for these kinds of items in the rue St. Dominique, but not a huge selection. Also, you are close to the Eiffel Tower, of course, but also to the Invalides and the Rodin Museum, if those interest you.

But, if you like nightlife, you might want to re-think choosing this area! With the exception of the pub across the street from our hotel (O'Brien's Irish Pub), a wine bar or two, and the ambience of very brightly-lit brasseries every so often, that is pretty much the extent of your choices in that area. But we made do, and grew to love our pub...although it got pretty crowded most nights due to the lack of other similar establishments nearby. But we made do and got there early enough to get a table, and life was good!

Hope this helps you. Have fun in Paris!

PS - There's a good, cheap Greek restaurant that we enjoyed - if you want something other than French - in the rue Jean Nicot, on the north side of St. Dominique.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Rosanne

We stayed there for two weeks at the end of last summer in the newer section of the hotel. Clean room, staff was helpful. Free breakfast included rolls, croissants, toast, danish, eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, and juice...kind of self serve in the dining area. The rue Amelie was a great location for us... the street is very quiet at night, felt very safe. There's a laundromat across the street, a small toy store on the corner, a great fish restaurant next door. We were only a few blocks from rue Cler, ATMs, post office nearby, lots of restaurants, even take out Asian places. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Linda

Thanks for all the good information! We will try to check out the Greek restaurant, and definitely the Pub. From the posts I have read and the research we have done, I cannot imagine having anything but a wonderful time! Thanks again, Linda and Mike

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 03:37 PM
JB

You're welcome! The name of the restaurant is Apollon, at 24, rue Jean-Nicot. It's nothing extremely fancy (and I am no gourmet), but we went there fairly late one night and everyone working there was Greek; in fact, all the patrons were too...except for us! However, I have been to Greece and love the food, as this restaurant reminded me! We really enjoyed it, and it was reasonably priced (something like under 30 euros for two, including drinks).

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Jill

Linda
If you need a "fix" of the good ol' U.S.A. there is a tiny grocery-type store called The Real McCoy in the area. Don't remember the specific street, but is near Rue Cler. It has everything familiar to those of us from the U.S.!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Linda

Thanks again for the info. JB we will check out the restaurant. Thanks to you Jill also, this is my first time going out of the US, so it may be nice to check out something familiar.

Thanks again! Mike and Linda