Reload this Page >

What did you think of Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Meags

I'm going to be in Italy for just over two weeks in July with a friend. We're meeting in Florence and then heading down to Naples by train. We're going to do Capri & Ischia Islands, Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius . . . I want to spend a couple of days in Naples but my friend has heard some horror stories (about pickpockets, tourist trap, dirty etc) from friends of hers that just returned from there. I'd like to hear what others think about this city!

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:18 PM
carol

I've heard great things from travellers on this site. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving for 10 days in Naples next week. I think it all depends on knowing where to go and what to avoid. I've read lots of guidebooks (in Barnes & Nobles) and I think I now have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Do a search on this site for Naples--you'll find quite a lot of information and opinion on the city.

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Linda

Personally, I think Naples is one of the most vibrant, wonderful cities in Europe. They people are wonderful--they live each day to the fullest and show it. The climate is great, the food unsurpassed. And you can't beat it for "things to see". Yes, there is a problem with pickpockets/petty theft. But you will find that in many places and can take precautions. Yes, there are parts that are dirty, but they are working hard to overcome that. I love the city (can you tell?) and am already planning my fall 2002 trip back there. (Can't even wait until my 2001 vacation is over, my anticipation is that great.)

Old May 9th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Sarabeth

I agree...I LOVE Naples..it's gritty, colorful, wonderful food, lots of interesting areas. We were there in March and just walked around a whole day. We never felt unsafe. One must always be careful when traveling in foreign cities...i wouldn't walk around with my purse wide open..purse with a snap closure with money hidden...when I travel I bring a very small shoulder purse and only take 1 credit card and some cash that i put in an inside pocket. If you want some restaurants in Naples feel free to email me. Capri is wonderful as well..we climbed to the top and had a fabulous lunch at a restaurant next to the post office.

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:11 PM
e

GO to Capri from Naples on the boat and take the tram up to Ana Capri. <BR>The view is great. I was there quite a few years ago. Italy is sort of a dirty country but pretty. Go to Venice to if possible.

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Carol

I lived in Naples for 3 years. It is colorful, hectic, lively...be very wary of pickpockets, especially in the train station. I even had a moped pair reach right into my car window when I was waiting at a stoplight to turn! Mopeds also zoom by and grab purses. Don't wear gold chains either. The food is fantastic, (best pizza in Italy, mozzarella di bufalo, and seafood) the people are generous and will bend over backwards to help you if you are lost. If you are careful you will love it. Yes, it's a bit dirty in some downtown locations, but Capri and Ischia will more than make up for it. (Don't leave anything in your car while climbing Mt. Vesuvius - we "lost" a radio while there...)

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Thyra

Naples is great... like everyone says.. vibrant, loud, full of character, not at all like say Florence which is so lovely and clean and quiet.. Regarding pickpockets... they are every where, London, paris, NYC, Rome, Seattle.. you name it, just use common sense and keep your valuables in a hidden money pouch. <BR>I do hope you get to Ischia, which is a fabulous place. Not a great many American's there, mostly German tourists, but the spas are unbeatable... try, if you can afford it, to stay in a hotel with a spa, it's a vacation within-a vacation and we just loved it. Also when you get to Pompeii, hire a guide.. we were so glad we did. We got to see things that other tourists were just walking over. Have a great trip.

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Barbara

We are just back from Naples and yes, it is vibrant and colorful, but it's also grimy and shabby in many places. <BR> <BR>On the plus side, if you walk down Spaccanapoli (I think it's something like 3 miles long - straight as an arrow), you will see some beautiful churches and have some fabulous pizza on the way. <BR> <BR>But - sorry posters - it IS dirty and to me, I'd much rather spend my time on Capri or the Amalfi Coast with all that incredible scenery!

Old May 13th, 2001, 11:44 AM
gb

Last summer, we drove into Naples with some friends who lived there. At the city limits, our friend stopped his car to tell us (in another car) to lock our car doors,close windows, and put our purses and other belongings under the seat. He told us to park in a guarded parking lot. However, with our belongings safely out of sight, no one bothered us. I never had that "unsafe"feeling. The only problem to worry about is theft. Bodily harm is not really the issue. We drove into the residential areas for some absolutely beautiful views overlooking the bay with Mt. Vesuvius in the background. I never once felt threatened. So, carry and show no valuables. Use common sense and I think you will have a great time.

Old May 13th, 2001, 12:46 PM
xxx

The armpit of the world!

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Jeanette

This is just an impression and not from long residence, since I was only in Naples for a couple of days, but I did get a lot of clues that things were quite rough. Yes it is quite vibrant, lively and the people are easy to talk to and totally outgoing. Yet because of lack of zoning and the way building is dense and of many eras and quality of construction- there are some areas that look physically dangerous to walk through. Overall there is definitely not the sense of order that you get from gridded or at least spoked street patterns. Couldn't believe the mix of buildings in some spots as main street would dead end or be "split" by a gas station. Tried to take pictures of drivers on one of the curved avenues, and they didn't come close to the actuality. Worse driving I have ever seen personally. I had a good time and enjoyed the palace, palace gardens and got the best leather boots I ever owned there. I would definitely return but this has lots of areas that would be described as slums in other cultural contexts. Some of the high rise buildings would remind you of the public housing projects in Chicago, if you are familiar with their set up. I've never been able to understand how you can warehouse people in that type of building structure and expect all to go smoothly. <BR> <BR>By the way, I had a wonderful conversation with a young women who showed me around the back streets of Naples and she told me that in her cultural context it would be foolish to desire bigger living quarters. She said to me in the most darling accent - "You look at this and think, - OH you poor, oh you feel sorry as all dirty and so crowded. But we like it so and are happy with all our family right by us. We are always on the outside and we do not care so much for all the machines. So don't feel sorry and know we like. <BR>I come to Chicago and I feel sorry, because you do not fool me. You say cold sometimes, but I not know how cold until I feel that. I feel sorry for all you in the cold. Here we never cold like that, we have our family to keep us <BR>much warm too."