Any info on Limone, Italy

Oct 10th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Any info on Limone, Italy

Will be flying to Milan next week and staying in Limone and doing day trips out , Would appreciate any info on Limone. We are staying at the Leonardo da Vinci Hotel. Thanks
Oct 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I assume you are talking about limone on lake garda. This time of year some/most? of the bots will have stopped but you can still get around with buses etc. THe resorts on the west coast of the lake are particularly nice, IMO, but you will have a good time everywhere.
Good luck!
Oct 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM

We went over to Limone for a couple of hours. It's a pretty town built right into the mountain. The kids had a wonderful time playing in the fountain while we had a glass of wine in the cafe.
Do a search for Limone- I know that someone wrote a great travel account of their vacation there.
Chin Chin!
Vino
Oct 11th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Limone is very pretty. The town itself is very nice, and the whole area is beautiful.

We took a walk up in the mountains from Limone. Very beautiful, but rather steep. Ask the tourist information center, they will show you the path on a detailed map of the area and help you estimate if it is reasonable for you.

Rachel,
www.dream-vacation-in-tuscany.com
Oct 11th, 2006, 05:50 AM

We have spent several summers on Lake Garda, and I think Limone is the most beautiful town on the lake.
I wonder, however, if many shops will be closed at this time of year.

Perhaps Riva, which is nearby, will have more action. There are also many hikes in the hills/mountains outside of Riva.

Or if you are museum people you can easily take the A22 to Bolzano and see Utzi, the ice man. I found the museum fascinating.
Oct 11th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Oh, one other thing I forgot to metion:
Malcesine is also not too far for a day trip. It is very touristy but fun to explore, and perhaps you can take the gondola to the top of Mt Baldo. Plenty of hiking there as well.
Oct 11th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Haven't actually been in Limone but saw it from a boat and I agree that the whole area is beautiful. One of my favorite parts of Italy. I agree with the previous poster that Malcesine is a great little town - touristy, yes, but not with Americans, most of the tourists are German. We also really enjoyed the ride to Mt Baldo and the hiking and incredible views from the top. Lazise and Bardolino are two other towns on Lake Garda that we really liked.
Oct 11th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Did a quick look at Limone - nice small old town and yes, they grow lemons on the nearby hillsides.
Oct 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM

We stayed several nights in Malcesine in April several years ago. Our hotel room looked acroos the lake to Limone---a lovely view. The ferry across the lake was running at that time, even though it was low season, so hopefully it will still be going. If you do visit Malcesine, be sure (as already recommended) to take the gondloa up 5,000 feet the top of Monte Baldo. You can take short hikes up there, and on a clear day the Dolomites are visible.
Oct 12th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Yes, plouise, the cable car ride is great. We really enjoyed the trip up the mountain, and our lunch in one of the restaurants up there. Unfortunately the fog came in, and we were all wandering around, barely able to see each other, let alone the dolomites. I hope you have better luck!