Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any info about Stresa (sp?) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-info-about-stresa-sp-100002/)

beth Jan 12th, 2001 06:13 AM

Any info about Stresa (sp?)

Does anyone out there have any iformation on Stresa in the Lakes Region of Italy? Would these be a good location and alternative to staying in Milan? <BR> <BR>I hve heard not so good thing about Milan so was planning to stay somewhere close for a couple of daysso that I can daytrip in and see Milan but be close to other areas of the region as well. This will be at the end of our tour and we are departing from the airport in Milan, how long is the trip between the two? Any reccommendations on hotels here?

Larry Jan 12th, 2001 07:48 AM

Hi, Beth, I don't think I ever visited someplace accidentally but that was the case with Stresa. Our American flight was cancelled and they bussed us to Stresa and put us up in a very nice Hotel Bristol. It is a big resort destination on Lake Maggiore. It was cool and overcast but in nice weather, I think it would be exceptional. Many of the hotels are separated from the water by the road and a parkway. Neat little shops - only there overnight but it was great. About an hour by bus from Malpensa. If you would like to see a couple photos, e-mail me.

Ellen Jan 12th, 2001 08:27 AM

Stresa is about a 40 minute train ride from Milan Central station. From there, it is about 10 minutes on foot to the water front. The Bristol hotel does look beautiful but I've not stayed there. One wonderful day trip you can take from Stresa is the ferry to the various islands on the lake. I believe they are called the Borromean islands. It is a wonderful, wonderful way to spend the day touring these islands. I also think you can easily access Lugano by public transportation from Stresa. If you would like to have any websites about Stresa, e-mail me directly and I'd be happy to hyperlink them to you. <BR>Ellen

Dominique Jan 12th, 2001 08:48 AM

Recently when visiting Italy, we spent the majority of our time in Stresa and this little village is amazing!!!! <BR>We stayed at the 'Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees' Their website is http://www.stresa.net/hotel/borromees/hotel/index.html <BR>You can see the Swiss Alps from Stresa. <BR>Imagine that standing in Italy and looking at Switerland! <BR>One of the islands is called 'Isola Bella' this is the private residence of the Boromeo family in summer they are one of the richest families in Italy and are regarded as royalty. In certain months on the year you can actually do a tour through some parts of the castle. This is a must! you will love it!!!! <BR>the garends and architecture are amazing... princess diana actually visited this residence for private functions with the Boromeo family... there are various pictures diplayed in the local restaurants... the ceramics are also beautiful! <BR>Milan is approx. 1 to 1 1/2 hours away... <BR>enjoy!!! <BR>kindest regards, <BR>dominique <BR> <BR>again, I have photo's if you would like to see them! just email me directly <BR> <BR>:)

Bob Jan 12th, 2001 12:32 PM

I guess the other replies say it all. I stayed at the Bristol in Stresa. You will NOT be disappointed. I would definately return there if I visit Italy again.

CindyK Jan 12th, 2001 12:42 PM

I haven't been to Stresa yet, but we are staying there in March before flying out of Malpensa. <BR>We have reservations at Hotel Verbano, which is on a little island off the coast of Stresa. They are on Karen Brown's website at: www.karenbrown.com/italyinns/hotelverbano.html <BR>Their rooms run L250,000 for a double. <BR>You can also find an article about Stresa at http://travel.boston.com/world/europ...la_bella.shtml <BR>They said that Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms" used Stresa as the setting. <BR>I'm really looking forward to Stresa. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>CindyK <BR>

beth Jan 12th, 2001 12:44 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the GREAT information. I think Stresa will be the perfect locale for the end of our trip. <BR> <BR>Dominique- I went to the website for the Grand Hotel Des Illes Borromees and I think it looks really nice and luckily in our price range too. I did on a search on the board and saw a post several months ago on the Regina Palace hotel too - any one have info on this one. i've got it narrowed down to the two choices. <BR>

Larry Jan 12th, 2001 03:42 PM

to the top for Lisa

Katherine Mistilis Jan 12th, 2001 06:56 PM

Sresa is wonderful.We were on a bus tour <BR>and because of a convention in Milan were taken to Stresa as an alternative. Our hotel was on the water and fabulous. I can't wait to go back. I will have to look up the hotel but it's the best one there.

Dominique Jan 14th, 2001 05:25 AM

Dear Beth - <BR>well it is funny you ask about this hotel... <BR>When visiting Stresa we were caught in the floods that recently hit Italy. Due to the flooding, the hotel had no choice but to turn <BR>off all the water and all food service stopped due to the water invading the cellar and electrical rooms... <BR>Therefore the hotel we transferred to was the Regina Palace. This hotel is approx. a 2 minute walk from the Grand Hotel des <BR>Iles Borromees it's so close you can actually see it from the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees. <BR> <BR>The Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees definitely has more European charm. The food in my opinion was better and also the bar <BR>area is at the front of the building... many a afternoon we would sit in the bar drinking cocktails coffee's on the big blue arm <BR>chairs and admiring the lake and the fantastic view of the Swiss Alps...through the fantastic over-sized windows... <BR>on the other hand the Regina Palace although it is a beautiful and the staircase exquisite there was nothing completely unique <BR>about this hotel...whereas the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees every little thing had been paid attention to... <BR> <BR>The employees were so friendly and efficient... We became friends with one of the receptionist, who at 2 o'clock in the morning <BR>offered to take myself and some friends to a local bar. He was a complete gentleman and made us feel very welcome! As we <BR>sat there with the locals from Stresa and sipped Gruppo [you have to try this, the one that is rose scented is the weekest...trust <BR>me! the weaker the better, on never mind you will soon find out what I mean :-)] This was one of my most cherished <BR>experiences. I love Italian people! <BR>The trees trunks in the foyer were plated which were really beautiful and the fresh flowers throughout the hotel were so <BR>refreshing. All the floors were wonderfully tiled [even the lift's] The breakfast was huge. The gardens splendid although we did <BR>not get a chance to use the pool area it looked very nice... <BR>Above all ! the big windows looking out are simply fantastic and make for a great way to spend an afternoon - the Regina <BR>Palace did not offer this... All the chandeliers are Venetian [very unique glass from Venice] oh and a note walk to the entrance <BR>and look up... everywhere you look you will be pleasantly surprised! <BR> <BR>after saying all that the Regina Palace hotel room's were a little bigger and were [atleast our's was] furnished in a lovely deep <BR>red color. Although the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees hotel rooms were nice and had a balcony overlooking the gardens. <BR>You feel like your in Italy when you can walk out on a balcony and sip a cup of coffee while looking at the wonderful <BR>surroundings. <BR> <BR>Oh and even though it flooded and rained most of the time ... I had an absolute fabulous time!!! to be honest I enjoyed the rain <BR>evenmore then I enjoyed the sunlight.. it added to the ambiance of Stresa. For me, the was nothing more wonderful then <BR>walking in around in the rain, enjoying the beautiful country and it's people! <BR> <BR>[the key - enjoy what ever is put in front of you! no matter what the weather is like don't let it stop you from anything... I <BR>certainly didn't and you could say that we went at the worst time considering they were the worst flood's Italy had seen in fifty <BR>years! :-)] <BR> <BR>one thing I forgot to mention.. if you decide to visit the Iso Bella island and palace of the Boromeo family...definetly pay for a <BR>guided tour as this is the only way you will truly appreciate the splendid things on offer. <BR> <BR>all that said my choice would obviously be the The Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees!!! <BR>however remember my key and you sure to have a fantastic time where ever you decide!!! <BR> <BR> <BR>kindest regards, <BR> <BR>dominique <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>