Best route to take

Search

Best route to take

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2017, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best route to take

My partner and i are going on a two month europe trip and i have a list of places we will be going but am uncertain about the best route to take. This is the order i thought would be best:

England: 1. London
Spain: 2. barcelona
France: 3. paris, 4. loire valley
Netherlands: 5. Amsterdam
Germany: 6. Rothenburg, 7. Berlin
Poland: 8. Krakow
Czech Republic: 9. Prague
Italy: 10. Venice, 11. Florence, 12. Cinque terre, 13. Rome
Greece: 14. Mykonos, 15. naxos, 16. Santorini, 17. Athens

Any advice would be appreciated especially because this is our first europe trip!
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 04:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when?
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 04:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I like to get the longest travel out of the way first so I would probably fly into Athens, but time of year does matter to optimize weather conditions.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 05:21 AM

Are you flying between cities or driving or taking trains/buses? It looks a little odd to have Barcelona between London and Paris.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 06:35 AM

Yes, Barcelona is the outlier in this list. Could you fly into Barcelona, then to London? Continuing on to Paris, etc.?

London to Paris by the Eurostar train, the Loire valley as a daytrip from Paris, then up to Amsterdam by train. Continuing east by train to your various stops until you fly from Prague to Venice (Easyjet). There might be flights from the Rome area to Greek Islands. There are intra-island ferries in Greece.

Look at rome2rio.com for transportation options, seat61.com for details on using European trains. www.bahn.de, the German train site, has good schedules for trains all over Europe.

If you've a tight budget, Eurolines.com has bus schedules. Otherwise you might look at a train pass (does not include the Eurostar). However, note that the faster trains and many in France require buying a seat reservation as well as the pass. And there may be a limited number of seat reservations available to pass holders. This can limit impulsive traveling.

You have many stops on your itinerary. In 2 months you're going to get tired of traveling sometime. We used to take a vacation in our vacation, to relax and rest up. But sometimes we got bored. So now we add a extra day or two to stops and just slow down.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback
We will be going June-July. I understand it is a lot of places but we do not know when we will get another opportunity to travel again and we have dedicated a whole day to travel from one place to another and have several rest days during the trip. Obviously i just want to see what would be the fastest route with all the places i am going to optimise time. We are flying from Australia so i thought going to London would be the best option first and considering barcelona is one of the places most out of the way, i thought it would be best to go there second then to all the other places that are closer
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh and for how we would travel it would be flying or trains or bus. Not really fussed but obviously want to limit the use of planes because of how time consuming it can be getting to and from the airport.