Reload this Page >

Any Ideas Re: Germany's Romantic Road?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 1997, 08:03 PM
Chris A.

Planning a trip this spring (late April) to Amsterdam then train to Frankfurt to catch Europa Bus (tour bus) to Munich via Rotenburg. Any experiences out there re: Europa Bus & reasonably priced lodging in Frankfurt, Rotenburg or Munich?
What about airfares from Boston - better to fly roundtrip to one city or fly to Amsterdam and then home from Munich?
Thanks for any info provided!

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 12:30 PM
John Robertson

I am beginning to think about a trip to Germany
and am particularly interested in the bus tour that
you mention. Could you give me the name/address of the bus line or tour company offering the bus tour of Romantic Road to Munich?? Thanks.

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 05:17 PM
Joe Ferris

We stayed in the Spitzweg Hotel in Rothenburg and it is very nice and not too expensive either. However, the last time there, we stayed at the Eisinhut which was very very nice but expensive. Both of these Hotels I would recommend.

Old Dec 28th, 1997, 05:54 PM
Nancy Dillon

I have not traveled on the Romantic Road in Germany, but saw a wonderful program by Rick Steves on PBS on this very topic. He has a series of videos available at many libraries in the Boston area.

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 05:42 PM
JANICE GARRISON

we went to germany for thanksgiving. we traveled from frankfurt to rotenburg, the walled city. we stayed at a place called gerberhaus. they will give you one rate but you can talk them down. also, ask to see the rooms, some are much larger and they charge the same price per room. hope you like the city. we ended up there two nights. hope you have a great time.

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 08:58 AM
Janet Daniels

While in Frankfurt, I stayed at Schoene-Aussicht e-mail address: [email protected] (Schoene Aussicht). While in Munich, I stayed at Hotel Uhland (http://www.munich-online.de/uhland/enuhlandof.html)--I would recommend both of these. Both are inexpensive, include breakfast, located near local transportation (train and/or bus). I used the 2/3 day transportation passes and saw everyhing I wanted to see with the public transport systems.
Both of these hotels are in safe locations. I booked both hotels via Internet with no problems. Staff at both speak English well. Got lost many times but everyone was helpful--even a mailman who gave me a ride in a mail trunk to my hotel because he didn't speak English and I couldn't understand what he was trying to tell me. I had typed the names and addresses on a sheet of paper and simply pointed to where I needed to go if the person I asking directions from didn't speak English--this worked very well. Have a good time!

Old Jan 1st, 1998, 11:50 AM
Bob Ricks

Rothenburg: We go there often. Usually stay at the Reichs Kuchenmeister. Nice hotel, good breakfast included plus good restaurant. Located in the center of town and great for walking around the area and returning during the day if you need to. Highly recommend the Night Watchman's tour of the city. It is done in English around 8pm each evening and very good, plus fun. Also check out Kathe Wolfahrts main shop for Christmas items. Criminal museum also interesting. Ernst Geisendorfer for nice prints of the area. The Reichs has a fax and rooms are around $85 per night double. Any other questions, just email me.