Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any ideas for a 2 days countryside tour outside Moscow?

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While in Moscow this October, I will have 2 days to spent, and I would like to see the countryside. I will have a rened car.
Any recommended route?
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:39 AM

I assume you read the comments to your previous question regarding renting a car in Russia...(there was a similar thread about two years ago, and all (including people who lived there) but one poster recommended against it).

Definately get the Lonely Planet Guide to Russia (not just Moscow). There is also a book, "Discovering the Moscow Countryside" by Kathleen Berton Murrell, and (available only in Moscow) the Petit Fute "Weekends around Moscow".

Sergiev Posad and Abramtsevo. Sergiev Posad (Zagorsk) is a traditional orthodox center, graced by the magnificent Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra, with a blue and gold dome, and Abramtsevo village has a lovely park and lake. There is a peaceful church of asymmetrical design with unorthodox white folk carvings. Russian Art Nouveau originated here.

An all day tour to NEW JERUSALEM, built in the seventeenth century along the Istra River by Patriarch Nikon, who thought the topography and the architecture there resembled the Holy Land. He was eventually ousted from the church for his challenge to the power of the Czar.

Trip to KLIN, the country home of Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky and the place where he composed his last works, including the Nutcracker Suite, and the sixth (Pathetique) Symphony.

Day trip to TULA and KULIKOVO BATTLEFIELD. Take the trip to Kulikovo Field, where in 1380 the Russian victory over the Tartars was the first significant event in the liberation from the Tartar yoke. Enjoy the vastness of one of the largest Russian fields, the picturesque Don River valley and the Kulikovo Battle museum in the impressive Art Nouveau church. On the way, visit the Samovar museum in Tula, the celebrated center of military manufacture and crafts.

Day trip to VLADIMIR and SUZDAL. Vladimir was the capital of Russia in the twelfth century before the Mongol invasion; Moscow is its successor. The Assumption Cathedral and Golden Gate are examples of white stone, pre-Mongolian architecture. Suzdal has kept its seventeenth century character, and has lovely churches, an old Kremlin and a museum of interesting wooden architecture.

Day trip to YASNAYA POLYANA, Lev Tolstoy's estate, where he wrote his great novels while his family was disintegrating, and to MELIKHOVO, Anton Chekhov's home where he wrote "The Seagull" and "Uncle Vanya".

I spoke to some people yesterday about your trip, actually, in the broader context of Russian tourism. It is a shame that it is so difficult to take the short trips outside of Moscow (and St. Petersburg) as within 200 miles of the capital city there are more treasures than what surrounds London or Paris or Madrid. However, for many reasons (both logistical and more artificial) it is largely impractical for the average tourist to guide themselves around the region.

Also, for a wonderful book on Russian architecture that is a mix between a "coffee table" type volume and an academic tome, read William Brumfield's "History of Russian Architecture". He just updated it with some good color plates, and the paperback edition (which weighs 7 lbs!) is a great value. Prof. Brumfield has been traveling to Russia since the 1960s and has extensively photographed Russia's architectual treasures.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:41 AM

[for consolidation purposes]

Don't. What would you do if a policeman stops you? (Serious question). I have taken drivers/cars outside of those cities without a problem, but I have real doubts (1) about renting a car without a driver, and (2) if you can't read cyrillic you won't have any idea about directions--yes some people will say "there are signs in English" but I think those signs end about a mile from the airport. Also, if you get lost on the roads without knowledge of the Russian language how will you ask for directions--don't count on finding an English speaker easily.

I never recommend to clients that they drive in Moscow/St Petersburg, mostly because of the problem with traffic police stopping you and the subsequent language barrier. If you need to rent a car in Moscow without a driver, Hertz has an office there (but you cannot do it over the internet-you need to call their office).
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:47 AM

Also, the only really "western standard" hotel outside of Moscow in this region is in Vladimir (not sure if you are staying overnight).

Another place to visit is Peredelkino, the writers' colony outside of Moscow. Boris Pasternak's house is a museum (and a unique example of wooden Style Moderne architecture); it was featured in the movie "The Russia House" and "Burnt by the Sun".
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:50 AM

Another DON'T. We went to Serge Posad with Russian friends doing the driving. We stopped along the road for some very unusual "doings"--never did find out what that was about. But the town was magnificent. You can get a tour. Another would be Pushkin and/or Petrograd. I prefer the latter.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 09:43 AM

I would go to Suzdal, with a short stop in Vladimir. Vladimir is much of an industry city. Suzdal is an old unmarred Russian town, easily explored on foot.

I would not drive a car. It is easy to take a bus or train to Vladimir and then a bus to Suzdal.

I would spend the night in Suzdal. The nicest place to stay is the Likhoninskiy Dom. which is an old nine-teenth century merchant house with folk decor and furnishings. A good restaurant can be found in the Kremlin.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for he detailed replies. In fact, my wife speaks (and read) the lenguage,so I will definietly will use the posted advises.