Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any idea what the weather's going to be like this winter???

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready for another winter trip next year. But another question that's constatly bugging me is- wether it's going to be heavy snows, big winds, or if it's going to be another mild winter.

My friends who visited Prague 2 years ago said they had to walk through knee-deep snow to get to one point from another. Then another group of friends visited last year and said there wasn't even a speck of snow in sight.

Same with Switzerland, Netherlands and I think many other countries, where they are experiencing shorter and milder winters.

Any expectations on what it's going to be like this time around?
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Is this really a serious question?

"My friends who visited Prague 2 years ago said they had to walk through knee-deep snow to get to one point from another. Then another group of friends visited last year and said there wasn't even a speck of snow in sight."

wow - doesn't take a sherlock holmes to figure out that there is a clear trend!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Well, that's the range of possibilities for this winter's weather.

How on Earth is anyone supposed to know now how the next winter is going to be? Except St Peter, he's in charge of the weather according to legends. Pray to him.

Anybody who could make reliable forecasts for more than a week or two in advance would earn a fortune. It's impossible. Don't people get that simple fact into their heads?
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Well I'm hoping for a winter cold enough for an elfstedentocht, and lote os blue skies and sun.
What I'll probably get is a repeat of summer, just 15 degrees centigrade colder. Ie wet grey and depressing.
In other words there is no way of knowing what we'll get, Ther never has been (especially in this neck of the woods). All countries in the world are experiencing weird weather due to climate change, and forecasting for tomorrow is a challenge never mind about three months hence.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Probably cold. Of course, with this rampaging global warming, who knows.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow, ipod_Robbie, what a condescending reply. If you've got constructive to say, why even bother clicking on the reply button?

One thing for certain, fodors doesn't need snobs like you.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM
ira

Gee, A

Did you post a rather foolish question in the hopes that someone would give you a chance to say something nasty?

I note that you have previously asked:

Aleckii ([email protected])
Date: 09/29/2007, 05:04 pm

Hey! I'm just about to travel to Britain (London, York, Newcastle and maybe Glasgow)to next Jan-February. What's the weather going to be like? Rain and snow?

You have a UK mailing address, and you are going to visit the UK?

As Mark Twain once noted, "Everyone talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it".

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM

It is a somewhat strange question...if someone asked me what the weather will be like here in my city for the week of march 1st...well, it may be below 0, could have some snow, but then again I do remember it being warm in March a couple of years ago. You could look at averages, and then temps for the last couple of years for that week, but is that enough to plan a holidya around?
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM

The weird thing is that the OP doesn't really state where he is going or when really. Winter next year could mean January, February or the end of December '08. He mentions weather in 3 different countries. So which one are you going to?

I am not a meteorologist, but can't one part of the world have a bad winter and another a mild winter? So don't we have to know where you are going or did I miss that altogether.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Gee, didn't mean to offend.

Maybe I think a different way than you. When I want an intelligent, thoughtful answer, I ask an intelligent, thoughtful questions.

If I want a different type of reply.....well you get the point.