Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

any idea about hotels and transportation in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi every body
i'm going to stay about one week in italy, and i hope i could visit some special places in rome and florance and veniz. I just want to know if you have any suggestion for travelling in and between cities, I'm looking for cheap travel so i'm quite agree with buses and metro.

the most point in using public transportation is its saftey, do you have any bad experience by using them? tell me about it please

the other question, is that have you ever used hop-on hop-off buses? are the well enough to pay about 20 euros a day for them?

and about stay there, do you have any suggestion for hotels? specially the cheap and safe ones ...

waiting for ur reply ...
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Using trains between these cities should be very safe and easy. If you take the regional trains, second class, (slower, of course) that would be fine. Are you traveling alone? Be aware that you will have to put your own luggage on the train yourself, so don't take a huge suitcase, one that will be too hard to lift up the high steps into the train.

Buses in the cities are also fine, except that some in Rome are famous for pickpockets, so you have to be careful. But nothing has ever happened to us. In Florence, the centro storico, or historic center, is so small you ca walk everywhere in half an hour at most. And in Venice, the vaporetto boats are OK too. When not on the water, you just walk in Venice, of course.

In Rome, look at convents, which are simple, clean, and safe. You have to agree to their nighttime curfew, however. You do not have to be a Catholic to stay in them.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

wow thanks ... i thought of 2 days rome, 2 days florance, 2 days veniz, and one day in pissa, do you think I can do it?
and yes ... i'm alone in this trip. i will arrive in rome airport at 3 pm in 17th september, and will be back home by flight from rome airport on 24th september, 9.40 pm.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM

But you won't really have 2 days anywhere, because a good part of one of those days will be spent in traveling to the next place, settling in, finding your way around, etc.

Even if you flew into Rome and out of Venice, or vice versa, the amount of time traveling compared to the amount of time on the ground actually seeing things is out of whack.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

really?

do you have any suggestion for this one week trip?
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Rome + 1. So Rome and Venice or Rome and Florence.

And my other suggestion is do NOT get on bus 64 to the Vatican, otherwise known as the Pickpocket Express! Been there, done that . . . .
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:44 PM
J62

suggestion. You can look up train schedules & faresat www.trenitalia.com. That will give you a feel for travel time and cost.

With 7 days you can do Rome + 1, or Rome + 1 1/2. Fitting in Rome + Florence + Venice means you'll be spending an inordinate amount of time moving between cities, checking in / out of hotels, etc.

Rome + Florence + 1/2 day in Pisa (note spelling) or
Rome + Venice. Since trains from Rome to Venice pass through Florence you could easily do a short stop over there enroute.

Regarding hotels, what is your daily budget?
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM

>>And my other suggestion is do NOT get on bus 64 to the Vatican, otherwise known as the Pickpocket Express! Been there, done that . . . .<<

I have to disagree, bus 64 is a very convenient way to get around central Rome. Just use some simple percautions ... wear a crossbody purse, and keep your hand over the opening.

As far as how to spend your time, I'd even suggest staying in only one city. Rome certainly has enough to see & do to keep you busy for 7 days. You will save a lot of money on transportation. Also you should be able to get a good weekly rate on an apartment.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM

"wear a crossbody purse, and keep your hand over the opening."

Did that. Didn't work.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM

If going to Venice, this site might help you find housing:

http://en.turismovenezia.it/Where-to...314315562.html
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM

@Surfergirl...how'd they get into your purse like that? Just curious..we're heading to Rome in a few weeks.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM
JBX

Several sites you may find helpful .....

http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm

http://www.slowtrav.com/Italy/

http://www.venere.com/hotels/italy/

http://www.roninrome.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM

I assume you can't change you ticket at this late date to fly out of a different city. Too bad. It would save you lots of travel. Next time you book a flight, look for the "multi-city" option in the online search box for flights.

But if you do want to see two places, I suggest when you get to Rome, take the train straight to the other city. Florence would be the closest. Then stay there two or three full days and return to Rome for the rest of the time. Or you could do two days in Florence, then take the train to Orvieto, which is between Florence and Rome, for one day and then back to Rome. It's only an hour away. Orvieto is a small city on a hilltop and quite pretty, with wonderful views of the countryside, and a beautiful cathedral (called Duomo).
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM

@Sherrala (love that name!) --

Well, it is so silly, because I know who it was and I was so cautious and took such care, but it happened anyway because they are that good at Fagin's Art.

Getting on the bus is a little tough, because it's packed to the gills, like standing in line to get tickets to see the Stones. The box office opens and everyone rushes to the front. Like that.

Bus door opens, and you get into the sardine can of a bus, lots of pushing, lots of people, and here you are all prepared with purse in the messenger frontal position, zipped up, hand across it, then a nice guy offers you his seat and in that one second you accept and take your hand off the zip to sit down and the next thing you know, he gets off the bus, the zipper is undone, and the wallet gone. Erica Jong in "Fear of Flying" had a term for it in a different situation, but same result.

The only downer about the ordeal was it was only cash and one Amex credit card, and a little of my pride. The good part was my attitude and getting to see the inside of a police station (pretty interesting!). Plus a good story.

Took the Metro to the Vatican the next day and got some Holy Water which took care of everything! And Amex has an office at the bottom of the Spanish Steps so got a new card in 45 minutes. So no worries.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 09:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I have to disagree, bus 64 is a very convenient way to get around central Rome<<<

Bus 40 runs the same route, but less stops. I always use the buses in Rome. You just need to have your bag across your body and keep your hand on it. Watch backpacks too. DD always moves her backpack to her front on public transport (she used to ride the metro daily in Madrid which was a haven for pickpockets).

Instead of the hop on/off buses, get a Roma Pass and use the city buses/trams/metro (if you stay in Rome several days). Three days transport and two free admissions to sites.
http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2

I'm not sure you really have time to go all the way to Venice especially if Pisa is on your must see list. If you do go to Venice, I would train there upon arrival in Italy, stay a couple of days and then train back to Rome.

If you have 7 hotel nights, you could do 2 nights Venice, 2 nights Florence, 3 nights Rome, but it gives you very little time in each city. You don't need to stay in Pisa as it's a short train ride from Florence.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

thank you all. I will look for train plans and then may be i will delete one city ... but you know, i'm traveling alone so i think i can use my time better than those who travels in group ...

>> J62: Regarding hotels, what is your daily budget?<<
about hotels ... i prefer safe place, as i am alone ... i don't mind if it will be about 40 euro, but i like if it will be cheaper . but i prefer sigle use and no sharing with others.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

and one more note ... i haven't bought tickets yet! but i have to be back in athens in early morning of 15th september , cause my next flight will be at 14.00 pm and i have to check in @ 11.00 ... do you have any idea about other airports, e.g. in florence or venezie?
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 02:43 AM

Hey Jahana congrats on your trip

here are a couple of links

with great budget info for italy and Greece

www.eurocheapo.com www.virtualtourist.com

Was just in Italy last may hopped regional trains

from 2 euros per hour worked great just buy at station

better than bus eurolines.it eurocheap will have cheap

hotels hostelz.com or twizi.com for cheap hostels/guest house

In Rome the-beehive.com Florence Insituto Gould Venice

www.santafosca.com Athens www.backpackers.gr good info

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 02:46 AM

www.skyscanner.net for ROM ATH flights will be cheapest

booked in advance none of your other cities have directs
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 03:30 AM
J62

If you haven't already purchased your tickets from Greece to Italy then look into low cost airlines such as Air One.

They have flights from Pisa to Athens.

https://flyairone.com/EN-EU

I can't help you with single hotel rooms for your budget. Sorry.