Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any harm in skipping the first half of a Thalys ticket? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-harm-in-skipping-the-first-half-of-a-thalys-ticket-670761/)

WillTravel Jan 16th, 2007 07:58 AM

Any harm in skipping the first half of a Thalys ticket?

As I posted a while ago, I purchases Cologne-Paris roundtrip tickets on Thalys.com . I chose the option to print out tickets at home. The to/from tickets are separate pages.

So far as I know, there won't be any impediments to making the trip, but weather has been so crazy lately I want to be prepared for various contingencies. Suppose I miss the Cologne-Paris leg. Is there any way this would prevent me from taking the Paris-Cologne leg, like it does with roundtrip airfares?

lawchick Jan 16th, 2007 08:01 AM

No problem - just bring both tickets with you as sometimes - ie if its a very cheap fare - it is supposed to be both ways. (They really just want to make sure you haven't given away/sold one half) but this check hardly ever happens.

altamiro Jan 16th, 2007 08:12 AM

No, because you don't "check in" for the train - the SNCF/Thalys can't know whether you have taken the first leg or not.

norween Jan 16th, 2007 09:05 AM

Yes or No,
Yes if it is a specific Return discount, you have to show both tickets and the first one has to be validated (by the conductor)
No if it is a full price ticket (since it doesn't make any price difference there is no checking anbout the 1st leg)
You can throw away the return part f a discounted return ticket, not the 1st one.
I've seen more than one person obliged to buy a new full price ticket plus a fine in the Thalys.
If you miss your train and your ticket is exchangeable - you can change the 1st part in the station and keep the second part (with a small fee).
Else you can go at the ticket at the counter to se what is possible.

WillTravel Jan 16th, 2007 11:06 AM

Norween, this is a discounted return ticket. So it does sound that if I'm very unlucky and miss the first leg (which I'd have to be - it's 27 hours after landing), I'm out of luck.

ira Jan 16th, 2007 11:08 AM

Hey will,

If you end up 27 hr late, you probably didn't make the plane at all. :)

Don't worry and enjoy your visit.

((I))

WillTravel Jan 16th, 2007 11:11 AM

Ira, true enough, but you know how weather has been lately, and mostly I'm just good at worrying about unlikely things :).

CRose10328 Jan 26th, 2007 09:11 PM

WillTravel, I am looking to do the exact same thing, purchase a ticket from Thalys.com from Cologne to Paris. I want to book a SMYLS (sp?) roundtrip ticket and discard the second half as we are flying home from Paris. Even buying the roundtrip and throwing away half is cheaper than buy a one-way. Did you have any problems buying and printing online? I would say I live in Germany as we will be there for a time first but still print them at home.

The agent I was talking to about buying a German train pass, a Eurail sales agency, offered to scout them out and buy them for me but I'm wondering if he would charge me a fee for that.

Anyway just wondering if anyone can see any problem doing that.

ira Jan 27th, 2007 07:31 AM

Hi CR,

If you use the first half of the ticket, no one will know or care if you used the second half.

((I))

CRose10328 Jan 27th, 2007 07:37 AM

That's what I thought. Thanks