Any great suggestions for a week in Dublin in the first part of March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone think the long drive to the Ring of Kerry is worth it?
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:29 PM

There is a similar thread re Dublin, not far down, that has sixteen replies.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 09:31 AM

If you are spending a week in Dublin, there is much to do and see there and in the environs. I saw on another thread that you don't want to drive, so I'll make some suggestions for basing in Dublin for the week. Kerry is lovely, but with only a week, there will be plenty of diverse things to do and see in the Dublin area. The weather in March (as in most months in Ireland) is a crapshoot. You could have a week of rain and raw weather or beautiful mild, sunny days. Or it may be a combination of both--sometimes in one day!

Lots of posts here about Dublin itself. I always enjoy the Botanic Gardens in the Glasnevin section of the city. When I lived south of the city for a couple of years, my friend and I used to pop into Dublin regularly and at least once a month we would check out the gardens just to see the changes.

Take the DART (train) out to Howth and hike around the harbor and the hiking trails. It is a short ride (20 min or so)on the DART and you can choose a good day to go.

Take the train out to Malahide Castle. There is an interesting toy train museum.

Take the DART south to one of the seacoast towns. Walk on the beach, have lunch and explore the town. Bray has a promenade along its seafront and an aquarium. Greystones has a harbor and is a nice town. Have lunch at Poppies, a lovely cafe with all sorts of homemade goodies on display. Lasagna, quiches, sandwiches and desserts. If yu are there for the afternoon and want an evening meal, try the Hungry Monk up near the train station. If you go to Bray, you can catch a local bus to Enniskerry and the gates to Powerscourt will be right within sight as you get off the bus. there is another branch of Poppies in Enniskerry.

Take the train to Kilkenny for the day. I can't remember train times but you can catch a morning train down, explore and come back on an evening train to sleep in your "own" bed. There is a castle with wonderful gardens, interesting little shops, medieval streets to explore. St. Canice's cathedral and the nearby roundtower are interesting. Try for a meal at Kytler's Inn.

You can take an organized tour to Newgrange and also to Glendalough. Powerscourt Gardens are included on some tours to Glendalough, but I suggested a way above to go on your own.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Short answer: no, the long trek to do the RoK isn't worth it (I'm not sure its worth it even from Killarney!).

You want scenery? The Wicklow Mountains are right beside you.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

We are feeling bad that we picked March 1 to leave. In reading the guidebooks it looks like most things sare closed except on week-ends, short hours and some tours nonexistent. My husband so wants to see the beauty of Ireland.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM

Wicklow offers some beautiful scenery, starting about 10 miles south of Dublin city centre.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Glendalough, Powerscourt Gardens, and Newgrange will all be open. Almost all of my trips to Ireland have been during the "off" season -- and I've always had wonderful times.

I agree that it's too far to drive to the ROK -- and there's so much to see and do that's so much closer.