Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

any goodluck with fares from U.S. to Italy

May 24th, 2002, 06:03 AM
sue

Is any one having good luck with fares to Italy from U.S. for July or August? I havent found much under 1,200. If youve done better where are you flying from and to? We're willing to fly from our home of Boston to another U.S. city before heading for Europe--if that helps with fares. Also willing to fly to another country in Europe first and then on to Rome or Milan. Thanks

May 24th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Andy

You may want a travel agent to try a consolidator for you.....

YOu also do not mention the time of year you are travelling.

I was checking going to London and Virgin Atlantic's regular rate was $830--the consolidator rate was $580....Same tkt and smae days and same airline.

May 24th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Andy

Sue- sorry- I just read your post again and you said July or August-

You STILL should have your TA check with a consolidator-they are way cheaper.

May 24th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Wendy

I finally found a frequent flyer ticket to Italy in July but had been searching frantically prior. The best price quote I got was from a travel agent ($680 plus $59 tax). I only communicated through email. Here it is: [email protected]. Hope this helps.

May 24th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Tony Hughes

From July Delta will flying out of Cincinnati direct to Fumicino codesharing with Alitalia. Worth a look as often they start up routes with a discounted price.

May 24th, 2002, 07:32 AM
how about ?

Have you looked into flying out of Canada? On a similar topic, another poster suggested flights out of Toronto. In your instance Montreal is closer. OR if you don't mind an extra leg in your journey, consider flying on Icelandic Air. They often have very good deals out of NYC or Boston and can get you to London.

May 24th, 2002, 08:27 AM
will

Hi, Sue. Your thread caught my attention ... 1,200 seems very high.

There are lower fares out there, although seats maybe hard to find. I found a few. All must be purchased by May 31 with travel valid 16 Jun - 01 Sep on Mon, Tue & Wed.
from Boston:
British Airways (via Heathrow) $806
Luftansa (via Frankfurt) $846
American (via Heathrow or O'Hare) $862

These fares are before taxes and junk fees. Not great fares, but they beat $1200. Best of luck!

May 24th, 2002, 08:28 AM
will

Sorry, Sue. I meant to also say that all of these were to Rome (not Milan).

Jun 24th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Sue

I just got continental from Newark to Rome for 958 RT.

Jun 24th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Sue

Different Sue

Jun 24th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Larry

If you haven't tried priceline.com, you should. Offer what you think is low price ($700-800). If they don't accept it, raise your offer up in increments to whatever max you set. If they don't accept it today, try tomorrow. This was advice of others here before. We took it and wound up with $629 from Austin to Frankfurt. Worth a try, if you haven't. They seem to beat others alot from other reports we've seen.

Jun 24th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Betsy

Heads up! Before bidding on PL, go to www.biddingfortravel.com for a noncommercial tutorial about how to bid on PL. You'll be glad you did!

Jun 25th, 2002, 06:02 PM
ca

I'm going to Italy this summer. I'm usually an Air Frace traveller since I have miles. However this summer their prices are out of control. I've been looking into Singapore Airlines. They fly into Frankfurt. Only 677$US. From there I'm looking into RyanAir and other small European carriers to get into Milan.