Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   any goodluck with fares from U.S. to Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-goodluck-with-fares-from-u-s-to-italy-224517/)

sue May 24th, 2002 06:03 AM

any goodluck with fares from U.S. to Italy

Is any one having good luck with fares to Italy from U.S. for July or August? I havent found much under 1,200. If youve done better where are you flying from and to? We're willing to fly from our home of Boston to another U.S. city before heading for Europe--if that helps with fares. Also willing to fly to another country in Europe first and then on to Rome or Milan. Thanks

Andy May 24th, 2002 06:40 AM

You may want a travel agent to try a consolidator for you.....<BR><BR>YOu also do not mention the time of year you are travelling.<BR><BR>I was checking going to London and Virgin Atlantic's regular rate was $830--the consolidator rate was $580....Same tkt and smae days and same airline.

Andy May 24th, 2002 06:41 AM

Sue- sorry- I just read your post again and you said July or August-<BR><BR>You STILL should have your TA check with a consolidator-they are way cheaper.

Wendy May 24th, 2002 06:57 AM

I finally found a frequent flyer ticket to Italy in July but had been searching frantically prior. The best price quote I got was from a travel agent ($680 plus $59 tax). I only communicated through email. Here it is: [email protected]. Hope this helps.

Tony Hughes May 24th, 2002 07:03 AM

From July Delta will flying out of Cincinnati direct to Fumicino codesharing with Alitalia. Worth a look as often they start up routes with a discounted price.

how about ? May 24th, 2002 07:32 AM

Have you looked into flying out of Canada? On a similar topic, another poster suggested flights out of Toronto. In your instance Montreal is closer. OR if you don't mind an extra leg in your journey, consider flying on Icelandic Air. They often have very good deals out of NYC or Boston and can get you to London.<BR>

will May 24th, 2002 08:27 AM

Hi, Sue. Your thread caught my attention ... 1,200 seems very high.<BR><BR>There are lower fares out there, although seats maybe hard to find. I found a few. All must be purchased by May 31 with travel valid 16 Jun - 01 Sep on Mon, Tue & Wed.<BR>from Boston:<BR>British Airways (via Heathrow) $806<BR>Luftansa (via Frankfurt) $846<BR>American (via Heathrow or O'Hare) $862<BR><BR>These fares are before taxes and junk fees. Not great fares, but they beat $1200. Best of luck!

will May 24th, 2002 08:28 AM

Sorry, Sue. I meant to also say that all of these were to Rome (not Milan).

Sue Jun 24th, 2002 11:54 AM

I just got continental from Newark to Rome for 958 RT.

Sue Jun 24th, 2002 11:55 AM

Different Sue

Larry Jun 24th, 2002 02:57 PM

If you haven't tried priceline.com, you should. Offer what you think is low price ($700-800). If they don't accept it, raise your offer up in increments to whatever max you set. If they don't accept it today, try tomorrow. This was advice of others here before. We took it and wound up with $629 from Austin to Frankfurt. Worth a try, if you haven't. They seem to beat others alot from other reports we've seen.

Betsy Jun 24th, 2002 07:44 PM

Heads up! Before bidding on PL, go to www.biddingfortravel.com for a noncommercial tutorial about how to bid on PL. You'll be glad you did!

ca Jun 25th, 2002 06:02 PM

I'm going to Italy this summer. I'm usually an Air Frace traveller since I have miles. However this summer their prices are out of control. I've been looking into Singapore Airlines. They fly into Frankfurt. Only 677$US. From there I'm looking into RyanAir and other small European carriers to get into Milan.