Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any good suggestions for a month in Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 09:05 AM
MING

We are planning to go to Spain in January 1999, and we shall spend about 4 to 5 weeks there. Other than the main cities like Bacelona, Grenada, does anybody know some other places that worth going? We would love to see more cultural or historical things.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 10:10 AM
Monica

Ming, you can start in Barcelona which is a wonderful city. Do see the Sagrada Familia as it is still be built, the Gothic quarter, and walk along the Ramblas. There are some great museums too. Visit Montserrat which is about an hour away. It's a monestary in the mountains. Beautiful! Head to Zaragoza and stay for a day or two. Visit Madrid for a couple of days. Madrid is perfect for a homebase for day trips: Go to Toledo, Avila, Segovia, the Valley of the Fallen and San Lorenzo El Escorial. Head south on the high speed train (AVE) to Seville. Stay there for a few days also using it has a home base for places such as the Pueblos Blancos. Granda is worth a day and Ronda (one of my favorites) is worth a day. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!!

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 07:14 AM
Ming

Monica, thanks very much for your suggestion. Do you know if there is any vineyard that worths visit too? How is the weather in Spain? Will it be extremely cold in January? By the way, do you think we should also visit the Canary Islands? <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 11:25 AM
Maira

Ming: Spain is one of Europe's best kept secrets. There is not a corner of Spain that does not have amazing history in the form of roman ruins, arabesque architecture, medieval cities, great cathedrals, or beautiful and dramatic landscapes. I will be going there in May 99 and hope to get to the medieval pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela (northwest coast). Designated a Patrimony of Humanity by UNESCO, this was the most important medieval pilgrimage route, along with Rome and Jerusalem destinations. The towns along the route have been preserved pretty much the way that pilgrims would have seen them back in those days. This recommendation covers both, cultural and historical sight. <BR> <BR>For cultural and historical also, the city of Seville is very unique and beautiful. Segovia, Avila and Toledo are day-trips from Spain and are quite exceptional. Gibraltar is an amazing sight (not a Spanish territory, but since you'll be in the neighborhood...) <BR>Fodor's guide book should also be able to give you plenty of useful information and ideas.... <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 11:27 AM
Maira

<BR>Sorry, I meant-"Segovia, Avila and Toledo are day-trips from MADRID..."-

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 11:29 AM
Maira

<BR>Sorry, I meant-"Segovia, Avila and Toledo are day-trips from MADRID..."- <BR> <BR>Weather in Spain is comparable with the weather in North Carolina. For driving distances, Spain compares in size with Texas.

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 01:29 PM
Monica

Ming, I don't know of any vinyards. I'm sure the many guidebooks at the bookstore will have that information. <BR> <BR>Canary Islands? I've never been there, but would love to! You have 5 weeks, so I'm sure you can fit it in to your schedule.