Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any good internet sites to help determine what area would best fit my interests?

Any good internet sites to help determine what area would best fit my interests?

Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:18 AM
Jenny

Shellgeostar.com used to have a database that would search your interests and then tell you which top 5 areas of Europe would best fit you. Do you know of any others like this? Shellgeostar discontinued it.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:01 AM
Jenny

ttt

Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:34 AM
Rex

This is a question that comes up often - - and collectively, there are some of us "regulars" who might be able to help you - - if you will play a sort of game of "twenty" questions with us.

I'll start with four:

1. What do you THINK of, when you think of wanting to go to Europe - - this doesn't require a long essay answer - - the first ten words (or place names) that come to your mind will do.

2. Tell me about three (or more) favorite places you HAVE enjoyed visiting (presumably in the USA, but any other foreign helpful also, perhaps) - - and in one sentence, give the why.

3. Do you have any close family or other personal connections to any particular peoples or cultures in Europe?

4. Have you through school or other study learned about any particular language, history or culture of one (or more) country(ies) in Europe?

There are plenty of other good questions - - your tastes in food, music, religious background and on and on - - but these four make it most likely that you will answer your own question - - or help me help you answer it with you.

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:51 AM
s.fowler

This is kind of the reverse of your question -- but travelocity apparently has a feature that will make suggestions on the basis of how much you want to spend

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:10 AM
xxx

Ok Rex - I'll give this a try. Some of my favorite destinations that I've traveled to so far are (in no particular order) Edinburgh, Venice and Seattle. As you can see, I don't particularily thrive on going to warm weather destinations. But I'm not into winter sports either. I love getting out and walking through cities. Any suggestions?

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:13 AM
s.fowler

Well I agve the travelocity "thing" a "test-drive" -- interesting -- doesn't get real specific, but it might lead you to think of a place you hadn't thought of before. There are several options -- the express one does the money thing -- the destination check might be more useful.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:15 AM
Surlok

Jenny,

Maybe www.concierge.com has the feature you're searching for. I'm not sure, though, if it will work exactly the way you want to.. Anyway, it's worth trying.

Surlok

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:17 AM
feedMe

Jenny,
A site (if it still exists) called vacationcoach.com does exactly that by having you fill out a lengthy questionnaire, then rates vacation spots according to their calculations. I think it's free for the first year, and I have used them for many travel needs.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:18 AM
Rex

Well, xxx, I could certainly construct a fun itinerary stretching from Lubeck (in Germany) through Holland, Belgium and France ending up in Normandy. But it would help to know the answers to questions 1, 3 and 4.

And of course, the logistics of how to actually string it all together would involve another handful of questions (starting with how many days?)

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:33 AM
xxx

Hi Rex - I must admit that of all the countries I've visited, Germany has to be one of my least favorite. Maybe I just see the right places, but wasn't fond of the food, hospitality or scenery.

The rest of your suggestions sound more enchanting. I'm looking for a 2 week getaway.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:36 AM
Surlok

Jenny,

Sorry, this is the adress I should have typed:

http://www.concierge.com/run/concierge/PW

Surlok

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:38 AM
s.fowler

The travelocity "service" is powered by vacationcoach.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:17 PM
Rex

xxx - - I do happen to like Germany (see my posting on the thread "top ten things in Germany" or something like that).

But a person wouldn't need to include Germany to have a great itinerary of the other three countries.

I am in a very tentative planning stage for our third (and final) "graduation trip" for our youngest daughter next June. It might go like this:

US to Vienna (via Brussels?) - - Austria for 5-7 days

fly from Vienna back to Brussels - - 5-7 days - - possibly splitting up, as there might be subgroups of interests - - or maybe two days Holland, 1 or 2 somewhere in Belgium, 2-3 in northern France. This is the part that makes me think of a "match" to your interests.

Brussels to US.

We really love staying in a "self-catering" property (villa, chateau, ferienwohnung) - - but I haven't decided on whether I know where to look (geographically) to find the right property in the right part of (eastern) Austria.

And as with all group trips, there is the chicken/egg problem - - hard to pick the right rental propery until you know how many are going (our girls currently estimate 5 other classmates, boyfriends or a combination thereof) - - and hard to know who wants to go until you have an itinerary - - and a budget!