Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any good hotels in Paris that aren't $$$$?

Notices

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Kristin

I am going to Paris for the first time, with two friends. We want to stay in a location that is close to attractions, cafes & activities (basically not on the outskirts of town). The problem is that we are poor college students and don't have the money to pay for a "*****" hotel. Does anyone know of any hotels that are clean & close & reasonably priced, or am I just dreaming?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Sandra

Hotel de L'Arcade

Fantastic location, nice helpful people, good-size rooms, not too expensive . . . for Paris.

www.hotel-arcade.com

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:21 PM
StCirq

What's your budget? Paris probably has more reasonably priced hotels than just about any comparable European city. It shouldn't be a problem unless you really are looking for absolute rock-bottom prices.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:33 PM
helpful

www.ricksteeves.com

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Kristin

Sorry, I meant to put my price. My budgets is anywhere within $100. I just wanted to know what people thought because I know that hotels aren't always as they appear online.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Joe

As the other posters have said, one of the differences between Paris (and many other European cities) and the U.S. is that you can find a plethora (a word that I last used in college papers when I was getting desperate) of charming small (rooms as well as hotels) hotels for a small amount of money. Even though I'm a big person,I find it one of the great charms of the continent and am very happy in cozy quarters.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Bob Brown

www.france-hotel-guide.com/parishotels.htm

The above web site will give you a few dozen leads to hotels. You can find two star hotels, what ever those little twinklies mean, with rooms (no shower) for less than $50.00 a night for two.

Browse the site, and see if one strikes your fancy. The big thing is to pick one close to a line of transportation, and inside the Peripherique.

It has been so long since I was in Paris on a student budget that my specific advice is worthless.

Look around, you will find some that will not bend your dollar signs into parallel lines.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:00 PM
mjs

As a student I used to save money by staying in University dormitories when the schools were between terms. These dorms tend to have good sized rooms and are located quite centrally. There is often an inexpensive place to eat in or around these facilities and often a shared kitchen. Plus, its a good way of meeting other students from all sorts of countries. You could probably get information on these options in Lets go Europe, or Rick Steves or Sandra Gustafson's books.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 01:56 AM
sandy c

hi kristin,

check out the website hotel du bois. this is a great hotel and very reasonably priced. I have been to paris 3 times and stayed at various hotels and this one is a gem.

i will caution you though if you are going during the summer, this one does not have air conditioning. other than that it is a wonderful boutique hotel off of victor hugo. it's location put's it about 2 blocks south from the Arc de Triomphe and the champs elysees. the main office of tourism is 2 blocks away and one of the main metro stations right there.

great location and great price. I would recommend asking for twin double with bath (you get a normal american style tub and shower). the rooms are huge compared to most paris hotels and very tastefully decorated.

this hotel is one of the "charming" hotels of paris.

a couple of blocks around the corner is the kleber metro station, one of the few direct to eiffel tower stations and victor hugo ave is wonderful place with cafe's and shops. very central.

try booking thru www.holidaycity.com for even lower rates.

http://www.holidaycity.com/hotel-du-bois-paris/index.htm

hope this helps.

sandy c

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 04:08 AM
SEH

Check out the Hotel Victoria Chatelet, the website is: http://www.hovicha.com we stayed there in September 2001 and found it more than adequate. Location was fine (1st arrondisment), I felt safe, walked to Notre Dame, Louvre, Hotel deVille, etc. It is not a luxury property but the staff was so nice to us, the rooms were VERY clean and the bath & shower were in the room (not shared down the hall!). There is a main Metro hub 1/2 block down the street, made getting to and from airport a breeze and pretty much anywhere else we wanted to go! As stated above be careful if you are going in the summer - there is no A/C. Street can be a little loud at night, but just close your window. We stayed there for a week with my parents and it was just fine! The credit card bill came when we returned to the states and with the exchange rate at that time, we paid $68/night - couldn't beat it.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:45 AM
X

There is an abundance of hotels in your price range. You may have to share a bath down the hall, and the rooms will tend to be rather small. I used to use these, rationalizing that it was part of th charm of Paris. Do not expect accommodation anything like you would find in the States. The European attitude is that a hotel room is to sleep and tend to personal hygiene, so why bother with frills since you will be out of your room and enjoying Paris anyway. Another option, one that I have used, is the Hotel Ibis. Some would moan that this departs from the "charm of Paris" but I'm way over having to stay in a cramped dusty room to feel like I've been to Paris. Part of the Accor hotel group, there are many locations all around town. They offer basic but very clean and functional rooms (just about a step up from Motel 6 here in the States, which the same company also owns) for pretty low prices. They also include a great breakfast buffet, much better than the cup of coffee and a roll one usually finds in this price category. My favorite is the Ibis Bastille. You can find it at www.ibishotel.com, and the hotel code for this property is 1399. It's in a great location.
Enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Bree

You should be able to stay within your budget, and even have a private bath, at the Hotel du College de France (http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com). I stayed there last year, and found it clean, quiet, and in a good location: in the Latin Quarter, so you're close to all the sights, but on a quiet side street so you don't get a lot of street noise. There's even an elevator, which you won't find in a lot of two-star hotels (it's tiny, but still better than carrying your luggage up the stairs). The staff is friendly, and they speak English. The hotel is booked pretty far in advance, so if you're interested you should make your reservations early.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Anne

Kristin, two years ago I stayed at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc, in the Marais district on the Rue de Jarente. Great location, charming hotel, private bath, TV, breakfast, English-speaking staff, and well under $100 (single). I'd stay there again.

Be sure that you contact the hotel at the address above--there's another by the same name on the Left Bank.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:46 PM
g

www.eurocheapo.com