Search

Small Towns

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:54 PM
myra

Small Towns

Hi, Favorite little towns.I posted this before with no answer. Mine is San Leo in Marche, whats yours?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:56 PM
abc

Pienza in Tuscany

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Rex

If it has to be Italy, then Bassano del Grappa. Unless you mean teeny tiny, the I'd say Orvinio.<BR><BR>Other great ones are St. Hippolyte (F), Tourettes (F), Ecos (also F, but not for tourists), Seu d'Urgell (E) and Oberkirch (D).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:31 PM
UP north

Harbor Springs, Michigan!!!!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:32 PM
myra

Sorry....I mean't in Italy.......

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Giorgio

Anymore?<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:16 AM
David

Montereggioni in Tuscany. Just a piazza, a couple of restuarants and stores, a handful of homes, and fortified walls. Great views!!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:17 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Myra, When you say small I think of villages less than 5000. In Italy, mine would include Orta San Giulio, Portovenere, Montalcino, Ravello, and the really small Civita. But, where do you stop? Let me add Castelrotto, Sperlonga and Volterra as unique settings that I love. Wouldn't it be fun to plan an itinerary to only include these small jewels.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Myra

Bob. Thats what I mean...Small villages. I will be looking forward to Castelrotto. What about Orteisei? Thanks

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:17 AM
elvira

Malcontenta in the Veneto

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Rex

I think that many of us are eager to add to the list of small places we have been - - not only in Italy, but in all of Europe, It's a challenge for me - - as I am with a small group of never-been-there travelers, from time to time - - and it's very hard to talk up a longer stay in a little town when others are eager to see the Colosseum.<BR><BR>Besides the two I mentioned, I have been in Menaggio, Bellagio, Varenna, Monza, Bergamo (those three very briefly), Garda, Trento, Sirmione (day visits those last two), Malcesine (short stop), Ambra, Bucine, Ravenna and Vietra sul Mare (short stop). I'd like to go back to almost everyone of these, and add more to the list of little places I have been.<BR><BR>Unless you're staying to participate in the activities of "daily living" (grocery shopping or other household needs, locals-type bars and restaurants, or go to church) - - it can be difficult to find a lot of charm some of the time. Of the places mentioned above, Ambra and Bucine both fall into this category - - and almost all the others are known for a certain amount of tourism industry.<BR><BR>That's why I picked BdG and Orvinio. Orvinio, in particular, has NO tourist infrastructire whatsoever, and darn near zero "touristic attractions". But my wife and I spent a great overnight and half-day there - - chiefly thanks to one guy and his wife who are sort of self-appointed ambassadors, whenever "gli stranieri" make into their town.<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:02 AM
David

Even though it is no longer a small town, in the late 60s I lived in Fuengirola, Spain. We lived right on the beach next to where the river came into the sea. There was a ruined castle up on the hill across the river..it was such a wonderful time and such a delightful undiscovered (mostly) litle town. I dream about it often.<BR><BR>Strive

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:33 PM
up

up into them little hills and hollers, in search of...<BR>

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Anne

I'm with Rex Bassano del Grappa. Spent 6 nights their in Feb.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Julie

It's so much fun to see some of your own personal favorites pop up on other people's lists. In Italy we like Orta San Guilio, Mennagio, Bellagio, Varenna, Positano, Camogli (I've still not gotten to the Cinque Terre so I can't list any of those 5 places, but I'm surprised that others haven't since I see so much about it on this site), Montefellonico, Pienza. Elsewhere we've enjoyed Cassis, Obernai and Kayserberg, France; Pedraza de la Sierra, Cadaques,and Hondarribia, Spain, Karlovy Vary, Telc and Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic; St. Hubert and St. Nikklaas, Belgium; Oia, Greek Islands; Chateaux d'Oex, Switzerland; Ettlingen, Germany. While some of these are destinations, others are places that we stopped because they were between other places we wanted to go to and found charming in their own right. Sometimes the serendipity makes things special.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Julie

Oops, forgot the beautiful little villages of Provence, expecially Gordes and Roussillon, and also St. Paul de Vence, all in France.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Mari

Hello Rex, where in Italy is Bassano del Grappa? Thanks.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:22 AM
Rex

North of Verona, a little bit east of Lake Garda and the Valpolicella region.<BR>

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Mari

Hello Rex, is it too long of a car ride from Italian Riviera for a visit? Thank you.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Jean

Here is my list, the villages are divided into two categories, the letter K as for known shows the very well known one, sometime very touristy but yet still beautifull, the letter U (unknown, undiscovered) is for the very well keptsecret:<BR><BR>Italia riviera- K : Camogli, Portofino, S. Margherita, Cinque Terre, Porto Venere<BR>-U: Lerici (near La Spezia), Varese Ligure (north east inland of Sestri Levante)<BR><BR>Tuscany- K: S. Gimignano, Montalcino, Greve, Radda, Montepulciano, Pienza, Bagno Vignoni, Monteriggioni<BR>-U: Piazza (chianti), Lucignano D'Asso (near Pienza), Castiglioncello del Trinoro (val d'Orcia) Cetona, Fighine and S. Casciano dei Bagni (south of Tuscany), Sorano, Pitigliano, Sovana and Montemerano (all in Maremma)<BR><BR>Umbria -K: Assisi, Spello, Gubbio, Spoleto, Todi<BR>-U: Titignano + Castello di Vibio + Massa Martana (near Todi), Scoppio + Vallo d. Nera (near Spoleto), Norcia, Todiano, Preci, Campi Vecchi and Castelluccio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -