Any food issues in Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is off to Turkey in a couple of weeks. Are there any concerns regarding food? We have travelled a lot-France, Italy, India, Tunisia, Egypt, Thailand, etc. We always drink bottled water and usually avoid salads and anything raw and unpeeled. We also do not eat from street vendors. We have been more lax in that practice when in France and Italy, (with no resulting problems) but what about in Turkey? Do we have to be as vigilant as we were in Egypt and India? I am mostly concerned about salads and raw vegetables, like tomatoes, cucumbers etc. Your insights would be appreciated.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I've lived in Istanbul for a few months now and traveled here two times before. I have never experienced any food problems--I've even eaten the raw meatballs! Definitely no problem with the salads. My roommate has had some issues with the delicious fish sandwiches sold along the sea--although, not badly enough to stop buying them! Enjoy you time in Turkey! Be careful with the heat-we're experiencing an African heat wave.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM

While in Turkey this March, we ate everything - including raw food such as salads, fruits and vegetables. Street vendor offerings (roasted corn and chestnuts, and simit) were also quite good without any adverse effects. We drank only bottled water but did brush our teeth using tap.

Enjoy your trip and the food!!
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM

We're going to Turkey next week. We've been advised by an old family friend who's a travel doctor in NYC to drink only bottled water and not eat salads or any unpeeled fruits/vegetables. He also gave us all typhoid and Hepatitis A shots.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM
BKD

We spent two weeks in Turkey and had no problems with food other than eating too much. We didn't peel fruit and ate salads all the time.

In Sirince we were told the tap water was spring water and safe to drink, so we did. Tasted good and no problems. We didn't drink tap water in other places. We also brushed our teeth with tap water throughout our trip but always drank bottled water (except in Sirince).

I was very concerned about getting sick in Turkey. Other posters have talked about it. Maybe we were lucky or maybe the threat is a bit overblown. I don't know.

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Hi
When we were in Turkey, we had no problems with the food icluding salads and the fish that someone mentioned. My wife did get sick from draught beer at a restaurant though.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Although I have not been to Turkey for about 5 years, I did visit Turkey at least twice a year for almost 15 years for business.
I ate almost everything, and never had a problem.
The exception was water outside of hotels.
Stayed with bottled.
Also in small or outdoor restaurants, we asked for the bottle to be brought to the table sealed. (A suggestion from a Turkish friend).
This may no longer be a problem, but he told me that some establishments re-fill the bottles.
I did not eat streetfood, but did eat in tiny local restaurants.
Found most were cleaner than their counterparts in most countries.
Turkey is an amazing and beautiful country.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Everyone drinks bottled water in Turkey. Be sure they bring you an unopened bottle in a restaurant.

We ate all the raw vegie and fruit salads, and nobody in our group got sick. We did avoid street vendors.

The food is fabulous. Enjoy some cigara borek for me.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:34 PM

We had no problems with food in Turkey. We were not really sure about the refrigeration and stayed away from fish in most areas. A quick lunch was their wonderful lentil soup and bread. We drank bottled water, beer, and wine, and we did not have any problems.

Our only problem was that we did not have enough time in Turkey. We do look forward to going back some time soon.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:51 AM

I just wanted to say that we're really looking forward to our trip to Turkey next week. I certainly don't anticipate problems with the food, which I've heard is exceptional, but OUR doctor has told US to be cautious. I think if you're concerned, or have stomach issues of any kind, that's probably good advice no matter where you travel.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:27 AM

The consensus so far seems to be "no reason to worry, you'll be fine". But, let me give you my own experience as someone who travelled to Turkey with business colleagues over 20 times in a 3-year period, always staying in good hotels, but eating in a wide variety of local restaurants.

I have spent much of my adult life travelling in many different countries with a broad spectrum of hygiene standards. In my experience, Turkey is way below avergae in this respect, not quite as bad as India, but nowhere near comparable with Northern or Southern Europe or N America. On average, my colleagues and I got sick about once every three trips to Turkey. Normally nothing too serious, just a dose of stomach cramps/diarrhoea, but enough to make you feel quite ill and incapacitated for a few days. On one occasion, one of our people became so ill he was hospitalised after collapsing at Istanbul airport on his way home.

A few specific reasons for food safety caution in Turkey:-

- The Turks prefer their food likewarm, not piping hot, so many foodstuffs are prepared in advance and left on open hotplates to keep warm, attracting flies.

- Local drinking water is unsuitable for human consumption. Unscrupulous restaurant owners often fill up mineral water bottles from the tap (sometimes disguising the use of an old bottle by putting the bottle inside a wicker basket on the table).

- Toilets are frequently in a filthy condition outside top hotels and restaurants.

- Food often contains high levels of oil and chillis, which can updet unfamilair stomachs.

- It's quite common to see staff who handle food (chefs, waiters etc) dressed in dirty clothing/overalls.

Take my advice and eat well, but with an degree of caution appropriate to local consitions. Pack plenty of immodium and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:28 AM

In hot summer months just be careful with the heat and oily food which might be not a good combination.

To check a restaurant before entering is another tip, atmosphere, number of people inside or outside, grrom of the waiters etc. Usually Restaurants have a fridge where they display mezes and other dishes, looking at the meat and mezes or even fish will give you a pre judgement on the quality of the food. Generally speaking eating salads or raw fruits is fine if they are washed well they are yummy....

Have fun and bon a petite,

Murat
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:41 AM
ira

>We drank only bottled water but did brush our teeth using tap.<

In that case, save your money and drink tap water.

Brushing your teeth with polluted water is just as bad as drinking it.

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Re: bottled water - definitely make sure that the bottle is sealed!

At lunch one day I received a bottle of water and while opening it did not feel/hear the seal breaking it. Upon removing the cap the water was filled completely to the top of the bottle. I promptly asked the waiter for another bottle - I only got charged for one.

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM

I was sick for 3 days with stomach and diarrhea. Another person in our group got sick too. Not sure if it was the water or food. My advice, stick with bottled water, peel-able fruits, avoid street food, etc. Pepto Bismul chewable tablets helped me get through the worst of it. Also, I really hate lamb kebabs, so that made the trip even harder (food-wise) because that is the main staple in Turkey.
I thought I was gonna starve before I got out of that country! lol
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM

We spent 3 weeks in Turkey about 6 years ago and we ate everything. We
also ate food from the street vendors.
Always drank bottled water, didn't
think to check the bottles at the
restaurants. We never had a problem.
Tomatoes and cucumbers is a part of
every breakfast.
I did get deathly ill in Hawaii. We
only ate at the best restaurants.
Turkey has the best bread.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM

It's been many years since I was in Turkey, but I remember the food as being really good! And I'm a kind of picky eater.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Just came back from Turkey and the food was delicious, healthy, fresh, etc. We had some stomach issues in Egypt a few days before and that continued in Turkey the entire time, although I'm not sure if that was a result of Turkish food or the Eygptian bug.
We did drink only bottled water and brushed our teeth with bottled water. At first we were careful with unpeeled fruits/vegetables but after a few days we stopped being picky and just enjoyed.
So I'd say: be more careful than in Western Europe but it's not as bad as Egypt.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:46 PM

The eternal food-in-Turkey paranoia...

To Weadles; "OUR doctor told US to be cautious". Can you expect a doctor to tell you not to be cautious???
Some 20 years ago, when I came to live to Turkey for a year, our Tropical disease institute said typhoid shots were history, kind of a colonial romanticism.

I have been several times to Turkey since and have very rarely experienced a mentionnable problem.
At times I have drunk tap water and bottled water, but have never brushed my teeth with bottled water.
I have always eaten in small local restaurants, the one's with the simmering plates behind the windows, kebabs from street vendors everyonce in a while, seafood and mussels, salads, meatballs, icecream,...

My suggestions?
- Stay with tap water, the risk isn't zero and why spoil your holidays.
- Go and eat where there are a lot of local people eating, where food comes and goes. These small restaurants buy there vegetables everyday, that's why they are fresh.
- Prefer a beer over a glass of wine. Or drink ayran if you like it, it's a natural product.

Be cautious, that's what our mothers always said... but don't spoil your stay by fearing that bacteria and viruses are ready to infiltrate your body from the moment you set foot in Turkey.
Eat weel, taste everything and have a good trip.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Baldrick I like that.......

"- The Turks prefer their food likewarm, not piping hot, so many foodstuffs are prepared in advance and left on open hotplates to keep warm, attracting flies."

I like my food hot. Unfortunately attracts not only flies but people too Honestly, generally speaking food issue is delicate. As a poster suggested also, smaller or busy restaurants are the best places to eat as the ingredients are bought daily and all is fresh. Atmosphere, groom of waiters and staff is also important to judge. If you are buying boiled corns or simit ( sort of bagel with sesami seeds )from street vendors won't harm. Never cooked food though...

To ask a local for suggestions also help to find good restaurants.

Happy travelling & enjoy food

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -