Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any feedback on the Paris Neuilly Courtyard by Marriott?

Aug 8th, 1999, 07:23 PM
Ann

Hi I am going to Paris early Sept. Does anyone have any feedback on the Paris Neuilly Courtyard? What's the area like? I will be traveling with a Cuban Pianist and want to check out the jazz scene. Will we have problems getting home late at night? I understand the hotel will take you to the metro but is it far to walk? What about the general area? Thanks in advance for your input.

Aug 9th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Caryn

I don't know about the Marriot (which I would guess is pretty nice and standard, after all, that's why you pay for the Marriott name), but I have stayed in an apt. Neuilly. This is a nice, upscale neighborhood where people live. There are really no tourists in this area. It is conveniently located on the red Metro line which runs right through the center of Paris. In case you didn't know, the Metro stops running around 1:30 am, so you will have trouble getting home on the metro after that. If you're up for it, you can walk to the Champs Elysees and beyond. On my first day in Paris on my first trip to Europe, I walked from Neuilly all the way to Ile de St. Louis!

Aug 9th, 1999, 11:51 AM
cherie

We stayed with a friend in Levallios, near Neuilly. We frequently walked around there. It is quite safe. The only factor you would have to consider is the sub closes down at 1am as someone mentioned. You could take a cab and it would be preferable as street people have taken to sleeping on the benches in the metro around midnight and it looks a bit rough. The gendames ride some of the subs about that time. We always managed to catch the last sub back to Levallois each evening after touring the town, but we felt tough and they were probably more scared of US. Some gendames even accompanied us on the ride home one year when we went in February and were wearing furs. (sorry, people...we wont any more.) I heard the gendames say we must be Eskimoes.....

Aug 9th, 1999, 01:20 PM
specs

We stayed there in July. The rooms are generic Marriott and the hotel itself is kind of bland. But you aren't going to Paris to stay in your hotel room are you? The room we had was spacious enough for four of us. We had a bedroom and a separate living room with fold out hideabed. The kitchen area had a little fridge, sink and microwave, but no cutlery or dinnerware other than glasses. But you aren't going to Paris to eat in your room are you? The other quirk in the room was that you had to put your plastic key in a slot next to the door in order to activate the electricity.
The restaurant downstairs was surprisingly good and there are many small restaurants within walking distance.
The metro stop is Anatole France. Its about 5 blocks to the hotel. You should probably bring a map with you its easy to get turned around when you come out of the metro. The neighborhood is very safe. We saw few tourists. Just lots of French families out for a meal or walking. There are also small grocery stores along the way where you can pick up fruit or snacks. Everyone was very friendly to us.

Aug 9th, 1999, 04:19 PM
Ann

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone know what cabs will run from say the Latin Quarter back to Neuilly?

Aug 9th, 1999, 08:38 PM
lynn

Hi -

Your hotel is pretty far out. If I were you I would SERIOUSLY consider staying in Latin Quarter (5th) or St. Germain (6th).

I think your trip would be better for it. Try Hotel D'Albe at 1, Rue de la Harpe. We've stayed there twice and love it.

Aug 10th, 1999, 07:48 AM
cherie

Another time we went we stayed in a small hotel in St. Germaine called the Aramis. It wasn't so wonderful that I would refer you there but there were others around that area that would be of use to you. Check out smaller hotels and stay in the exact area you plan on frequenting. That way you wont have to be so concerned about transportation. Wear comfortable shoes and be Parisian...walk everywhere and speak rapidly!

Aug 29th, 1999, 04:21 PM
Diane

My guess is if people are asking about this property, they are considering cashing in some of their points in the Marriott frequent stay program. The Courtyard may be inconvenient, but for some people, it will be free. With that in mind, is this a good place to stay?