COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any feedback on Hotel L'Amandiere in St Remy?

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the help!

My hubby and I are planning on staying a week in Provence and wondered if anyone has any experience with this hotel.

We've looked on trip advisor but it only has 1 feedback, and there doesnt seem to be any recent experience using the search above.

The website is http://www.hotel-amandiere.com/

We are looking for a hotel/bed and breakfast for the last week of Sept 2006 in St Remy or Gordes ranging from 60 - 90 euros a night. ANy other ideas?

Again, thank you for your help!
Jamie

http://www.hotel-amandiere.com/
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM

If you would like to stay at a centrally located farm in a gorgeous setting with fabulous hosts, for a genuine Provencale experience go to Mas de la Christine. The owners are a wonderful, friendly couple who will treat you like family, and their house is beautiful. Their web page is at www.masdelachristine.com. If you go, make sure you have at least one dinner with them when they're cooking!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Abbydog, I will look into it!

Anyone else?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Topping for more replies
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Some posters have stayed there, so topping for jam.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

topping for the night crowd
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Years ago - before kids - my husband and I stayed at a charming B&B in St. Remy called Mas Shamrock. We loved it and I would definitiely seek it out again. It's an old farmhouse that the owners beautifully restored and the atmosphere is so relaxing. Breakfast was delicious. They also have horses and a pool, neither of which we availed of. Next time. It was walking distance to town for dinner. The owners are French & Irish (hence the name) so English won't be a problem. It should be easy to find on the Internet, not sure of their exact web address.

On the same trip, we also stayed in an out-of-the- way place called Chateau d'Esparron in the Verdon Canyon region. It was also fantastic, very different style from Mas Shamrock, but the hospitality was just as welcome. I doubt it's in your price range though. You'll find it at www.esparron.com. It's near a town called Moustiers Ste. Marie, renowned for its porcelain pottery. What a beautiful part of Provence it is! The view from town is incredible. You could easily find cheaper places to stay in Moustiers town if you're interested in visiting that area. We saw lots of Provence getting to and from there (rented a car in Avignon).

Hope you find what you're looking for!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Hi Jamie,

I am probably going to book for 2 nights at Hotel L'Amandiere in mid-March. It came recommended from a business associate who spends a lot of time in Provence.

I can give you the scoop once I'm back from Paris / Provence / French Riviera. Luckily my husband has business in Paris, so I get to tag along. It will be our first trip to Europe. Soooo excited!

Best, Marcee
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Marcee...please give me the scoop when you get back!

Enjoy your trip!

Jamie
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Hi Jamie,

I just got back from France on Tuesday.

Had a super trip ... the weather unfortunately was cold, rainy, and windy, but that didn't stop us from exploring all the wonderful sights of Paris, Provence, and the Riviera. The food, the art, the architecture, the history ... ooh la la!

We stayed three nights at L'Amandiere and enjoyed it very much. It was clean, comfortable, cute, and intimate. We had a charming breakfast every morning (croissant, pastry, bread, fruit, yogurt, juice, hot beverage) in the small breakfast room with the sun streaming through the windows.

The ladies that run the hotel are gracious hosts who are happy to offer suggestions on dining and sightseeing. We spoke French to them ... not sure how fluent they are in English.

St. Remy de Provence is a jewel of a small village -- probably the nicest we saw. It has loads of great restaurants .... We ate at:

La Forge - best lamb I ever tasted; Thai Soup with Shrimp and Salmon Ravioli very good as well

Bistro des Alpilles - my husband had a "bull" steak... delicious

La Baie d'Along - delicious chinese, thai, and vietnamese cuisine

Hope this helps... let me know if you have more questions about the hotel.

Have a wonderful trip. Marcee
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Bistro des Alpilles is great. You can also get bull stake at the cafes by the fountain in Maussane but check the menus. There are several cafes close to eachother.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for reporting back Marcee! Sorry to hear about the weather, but it sounds like you had a great trip!! I really appreciate the tips!!

Jamie
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I always wait for the follow up reports..esp the restaurants! We are going in Sept(if Delta does not fold ).
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:47 AM

I think you also mentioned a night in Gordes? In that price range we spent 2 nights last April at Hotel des Romarins in Gordes. It was not our most luxurious room of the trip but it had an incredible, incredible view of the old city of Gordes which is lit up at night. The outdoor terrace was warm and we had both petite dejeuner and evening drinks out there enjoying the view which was framed in blooming lilacs.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:27 AM

bookmarking