Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any experience with ebookers.com or mobissimo.com? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-experience-with-ebookers-com-or-mobissimo-com-911514/)

crckwc1 Nov 7th, 2011 01:34 PM

Any experience with ebookers.com or mobissimo.com?

In searching for low cost airfares in Europe, Mobissimo sent me to ebookers.com, a UK company I believe, where I found a very good fare. Has anyone had experience with either ebookers or mobissimo? Thanks.
K

dfourh Nov 7th, 2011 02:38 PM

I have had nothing but good experiences with ebookers for both flights and car rental. Have a look at www.skyscanner.net to compare fares too.

crckwc1 Nov 7th, 2011 06:22 PM

Thanks! Anyone else like to comment?

Alec Nov 7th, 2011 09:52 PM

ebookers is one of the biggest internet-based travel booking sites in UK and much of Europe.

Another good site is expedia.co.uk, the UK-arm of US-based expedia.com. And unlike ebookers, it levies no credit card surcharge.

DickieG Nov 8th, 2011 12:56 AM

I have used ebookers 3 times over 6(ish) years. They sometimes have very good deals. I have always found their staff to be a little "abrupt" and less then warm but the conversations only last for 5 minutes until the deal is done. No issues with the products that have been sold to me.

crckwc1 Nov 8th, 2011 08:51 AM

More thanks to all who replied.

easytraveler Nov 8th, 2011 09:01 AM

I've had one experience with ebookers that doesn't encourage using them again.

I had booked a flight and wanted to change it, but they billed me for the entire flight - no credit, nothing. So had to pay for a second flight.

Thus, cheap - yes, but the penalties are very stiff when any changes are made. Very abrupt staff - not impolite, just abrupt, didn't want to discuss much just "pay up".

Needless to say, I booked the second flight with someone else.

My preference is to book directly with the airline if possible.

DickieG Nov 8th, 2011 09:41 AM

easytraveler

You just reminded me.

It was ebookers that I used for booking and was seriously ill shorty before departure. The sales staff are abrupt but the after sales team were helpful to the extreme and re-arranged our schedule by 3 months at no extra charge (although the rearranged flights should have been cheaper).

crckwc1 Nov 8th, 2011 04:12 PM

I just booked our flights with ebookers at a very reduced rate (about 1/2 the airline rate), flying Lufthansa LHR-MUC-LHR. After booking, I checked with Lufthansa and they had already confirmed these flights so it's looking good. I'm well aware that when booking cheap tickets they are usually non-refundable so I purchase trip insurance if the amount is great.
BTW, I booked online (3.25 GBP fee for credit card use) so I didn't have to contend with "abrupt" personnel on the phone. The online booking process was easy.

Thanks to all who responded to my question about ebookers.
K

easytraveler Nov 8th, 2011 04:49 PM

DickieG and crckwc1:Glad things worked out for both of you, but personally I'd still hesitate to use ebookers. Can't help it. That one experience left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I used skyscanner.net and skyscanner then directs one to another website - ebookers, an airline website, etc - to make the actual booking, so I really didn't know much about ebookers. Other bookings that skyscanner directed to worked fine, just the one with ebookers.

Sorry, just my one experience - but you did ask :)

DAX Nov 9th, 2011 07:05 AM

I booked Rome shuttle limousine in August for our arrival in October, followed up with my requests for confirmation in September. It was strange that I never got a single answer, so I decided to use the hotel pick up service which cost the same.

I keep wondering if the ROME SHUTTLE LIMOUSINE had some problem with their operation or if I had booked it too early or too late ( 6 weeks in advance), they should at least send me a response of some kind.

DAX Nov 9th, 2011 07:06 AM

Oops sorry wrong thread

crckwc1 Nov 9th, 2011 08:21 PM

Hope I haven't made a mistake booking with ebookers. After the trip (August/September) I'll post a report on their services.

worldbusinesskh Jul 6th, 2015 09:27 AM

I had a horrendous experience with this "travel agency". I should have never booked my ticket through them, as they are a scam.

- First of all, there is no accessible phone number. They have an international (UK) phone number with no US base. So if you are like me and have a limited calling plan, you won't be able to call them.

- Second, there is no email address! This should have been my first warning. Never trust a place with no email! They'll have a chat, but you can't change your flight or do anything through that. They'll tell you to call them

- Third, the phone number they give you is a UK - based, but really, you're speaking to people in India. So ebookers, supposedly English, is tricking us to believe they are in the UK when they are not

- Fourth, they are useless, mean, uneducated people. They will hang up on you when you try to change the flight.

- A change in itinerary, day, or whatever small modification you want to make costs about half the price of the entire ticket!

- Sixth, payment options are not flexible at all. If you want to pay with credit card, they charge a service fee. Only debit cards are free of that fee, and that's another sign of a scam. They make you use a debit card so that they can get your money.

I hope you can read this and know that, if I had done my research properly, I wouldn't have booked ANYTHING through ebookers. STAY AWAY FROM EBOOKERS, THEY ARE A SCAM!

janisj Jul 6th, 2015 01:17 PM

Welcome to Fodors worldbusinesskh. You may not see this because you registered just to post your complaint. I have no idea if ebookers is good or not, but most of your 'issues' would be the same w/ many if not most on-line agencies.

>>- First of all, there is no accessible phone number. They have an international (UK) phone number with no US base. So if you are like me and have a limited calling plan, you won't be able to call them.<<

Why again can't you phone them? Many UK-based companies don't have 'special phone numbers' to use from the States. You simply have to bite the bullet and phone them.

>>- Third, the phone number they give you is a UK - based, but really, you're speaking to people in India. So ebookers, supposedly English, is tricking us to believe they are in the UK when they are not<<

MANY companies . . . <u>even US-based ones</u> have call centers in India.

>>- A change in itinerary, day, or whatever small modification you want to make costs about half the price of the entire ticket!<<

You are lucky it didn't cost more. Discount tickets are generally totally non-changeable.

>>- Sixth, payment options are not flexible at all. If you want to pay with credit card, they charge a service fee. Only debit cards are free of that fee, and that's another sign of a scam. They make you use a debit card so that they can get your money.<<

It is VERY common for UK/Europe-based sites to charge you to use a cc.

Dukey1 Jul 6th, 2015 01:23 PM

OK, the original thread is four years old and frankly, who cares if somebody comes here and expresses a negative opinion? I think we are all mature enough to figure this one out for ourselves.

janisj Jul 6th, 2015 01:35 PM

>>who cares if somebody comes here and expresses a negative opinion?<<

The 'somebody' joined to throw in his 2¢ worth -- and most of his complaint is just how things work. I have no idea if he had a bad experience or not but nothing he complains about appears to be the 'scam' he calls it.