Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!
We are determined to experience the true French atmosphere. Interested in the following rental (three nights in September),
http://www.vrbo.com/912058a#

Any thoughts, experiences?
There are ten five star reviews for this place, most in foreign language, but google translate makes it sound lovely!. Words like "magnificent" and "charming". "Cozy" which I know can mean claustrophobic.

I asked the owner about dampness, and she replied that the rocks are healthy and no dampness.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 06:41 AM

Just to say that it is in a fantastic location - on a street of troglodyte houses hewn into the soft limestone cliffs just behind the Amboise chateau - smack in the heart of town - walk to stores, cafes, sites, etc.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 06:44 AM

We stayed in a hotel with rooms carved into the caves in Provence-although we didn't stay in one of those rooms. Talking with folks who did though, they said they enjoyed it. The reviews of the place you are considering address my 2 questions-one, it says it stays cool in the heat which makes sense and it sounds like it doesn't have any leaks in case of rain! I would be tempted to go for it-maybe one or two spiders but probably not even that And you are right, the reviews all look excellent.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 07:00 AM

We stayed in a cave hotel in virtually the same place for one night. The humidity was a constant 70%. I remember thinking that you would have beautiful skin if you lived there all the time. It didn't feel damp (chilly) to us. Our room had no windows so you couldn't tell night from day. Our biggest problem was that the teak floor had just been oiled before we got there and the smell was oppressive. (and we're sailors, used to the smell of teak oil). It was an experience I'm glad I had, but might not repeat as I'm a little claustrophobic. There is a wine cave right there as well!!!
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! We are going to book. I promise to let you know how it turns out
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Blue, thanks for the link. This is not a cave hotel, but a "cave cottage" so we will be on our own. Oh boy, my husband will agree to anything, so I am on the hook for this one if it doesn't work out! I'm allergic to mold, but the owner assures me that is not an issue, and as jane says above, humidity of 70% - well that's quite low compared to where we live in florida...should be fun!

By the way, what is "bespoke"?
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

OK! So today I booked the "cottage cave" and the owner is telling me (in fractured English using Homeaway form) that I do not need to send any money at all, that I should bring cash with me, the text is as follows:

"You will find attached your contract that you will send me signed.

You will pay the day of your arrival.It is better for you because the bank expenses is more expansive.

The tourist taxes, linen and towels and breakfasts are inclued.

Don't hesitate to me if you need.

We contact us again, a few days before your arrival for know the time of your arrival.

Will you come with a car and by train?

If you want i can go for you at the Amboise station.

Best Regards"

She includes her full name. When I google it appears she is a mosaic artist, and I do have a good feeling about this. It is a small cottage in a smallish town, but imagine flying all that way and no apartment? Thoughts, francophiles?
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Topping.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 04:43 AM

Joan, it sounds wonderful! We've used VRBO several times, always very successfully. And we, too, are Floridians spending September in the middle and south of France!
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 05:35 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about her not wanting a deposit. Our experience in the US with VRBO is that it really varies-some people want deposits, others not, some want a check mailed others want bank deposits, or our creditcard number to be held as a deposit, etc. If you think she feels legit, then she probably is. I think arriving and not having a place is remote.

If you want to be extra sure you can also book a hotel room that is "cancelable" in Amboise. But I think what is more important is to contact her again when you get closer just reminding her or your arrival details, etc. to verify everything a second time.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lady1 and jpie!
I was researching last night and found some awful stories about booking on Airbnb, so that had me nervous. But actually she's not asking for money, she's declining it, so much better scenario. Going with my gut feeling - which is a good one. Now, on to Italy!

Lady1, did you book your air yet? I finally booked it yesterday, wow, $3000 for two, (three flights - one over to Paris, one from Paris to Florence, one home from Venice). Expensive but this is the first time I've booked accommodations before air, so just had to get it done.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:16 AM

Unfortunately, that price looks about right! We aren't flying this trip. We are splurging and checking off one of DH's bucket list items--a transatlantic cruise! Taking the Queen Mary 2 to Southampton, spend a few days in London, Chunnel to Paris, tour mid/southern France for September, then QM 2 back. So excited we can't stand it. Ready to start packing NOW!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 07:33 AM

In regards to deposits it's not uncommon for some owners not to take them. I remember a coupe of years ago when I booked a place and the owner said no deposit was necessary. When we arrived we tried to hand him a check and he said to give it to him at the end of our week long stay. Then at the end of the stay we had to remind him that we still owed him the check. If we were dishonest people we could have just walked away without even paying.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:57 PM

I agree with Frenchmystique. We have been traveling around extensively this winter since Xmas in the US in preparation for returning to France in early May and we have used airbnb twice and had excellent experiences with both-one in Palm Springs and one in New Orleans. I have been reading the horror stories too about airbnb and so far my only issues are that the price can be high with airbnb because the charge both host and guest, and secondly, I do worry about renting in places like NYC and SF and Paris where cities themselves are cracking down on the whole airbnb approach. But the experiences themselves so far have been good.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lady1, that is a dream come true! Bon Voyage!