Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any experience in shipping luggage to Russia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've identified a few companies that ship luggage, and I'll call tomorrow to see if Russia is included in their service area. Did an on-line FEDEX inquiry, but the cost was astronomical.

Has anyone has shipped luggage to Russia?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure why you should want to ship luggage to Russia. If it's for vacation - you shouldn;t be taking more than you can carry with you. (Things in Russia don;t always work exactly as they should - esp involving any sort of bureaucracy -so I would be hesitant shipping anything without very good reason and a completely reliable receiver.)

If you plan on living there for some time - I would be in contact with the company or educational institution with which you will be working - they will have info on the best/most reliable way to do this.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

I'm making inquiries for someone who has back problems and is considering cancelling his trip. I thought I'd see what conveniences could be arranged that might convince him to go. Once he gets to StP he'll be part of a very upscale tour group and well taken care of.

... And I guess you have no info?
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Hi Jean,I have no experience with shipping luggage to Russia but since you said your friend is to meet an upscale tour group I was wondering if you have contacted them for some good advice. Just a thought.

How nice of you to try to help your friend. I hope everythings get worked out. Best wishes.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Definitely have the tour group organize this for him.

We have done a bunch of documents to Russia via FedEx and had trouble even with some of them. (Typically the document envelopes go throught customs without opening anywhere else in the world. Here we lost about 50% of them.)

And shipping boxes of items requires a lot of paperwork - declarations of contents, valuation for taxation, purpose of shipping, if will be reshipped from the country - and a customs agent - even for countries in western europe. (FedEx does all this - and well - to regular destinations. We asked about Russia about a year ago - and our agent said they do not recommend it - they've had too many problems with government "officials".)

Presumably the tour organizer would know who to pay off.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 08:41 PM

I would not do it. Keep in mind that the luggage must be retrieved separately, and that it may be stored in a Customs warehouse in some remote location of St. Petersburg. I don't see how shipping would be easier than having the luggage in an airplane hold.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Hello again Jean, what if "someone" takes your friend to the airport and stays with him until his luggage his checked in for the flight to Russia. Would the upscale Tour Group meet him at the airport in Russia, assume that would be St. Petersburg, get his luggage off the luggage ramp, put it on the van etc? Or does he arrive at St. Petersburg and without anyone meeting him have to retrieve his own luggage, get transportation to a hotel while dealing with his luggage etc? It would seem if he has an upscale tour group that would not be the case.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, but after some research I've advised my friend this won't be very helpful for him.

FYI, service would have been door-to-door and at considerable cost. The guy is quite wealthy, so cost was not the issue. The kicker was that he needed to allow 7-10 days to be absolutely sure it would be there upon his arrival. Ditto on return service. The trip is only for 7 days! I told him for the money involved, he should buy me a ticket and I'd be his sherpa!

My description of the "upscale tour group" was a bit misleading. My friend is on the board of an art conservation foundation, and this trip is for a board and related meetings. He pays his own way, but everything in Russia is organized and guided on a very upscale level (i.e., private Hermitage tour, meetings with govt. officials, amazing meals, etc.).

Anyway, he left for Europe today for a different board meeting. This 3-day trip didn't involve any connections, and he's carrying almost no luggage. So we'll see how his back does. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:25 AM

We often ship items for our clients traveling to Russia, usually for people exhibiting artworks or at trade shows in Moscow and St. Petersburg. There are many freight forwarders who make such arrangements; the costs is usually far less than an additional airfare. Also note that most freight forwarders (and courier companies) will NOT ship luggage unless it is specifically allowed on the specific route desired.

An additional item he will probably want is VIP service for both his incoming and outgoing flights from St. Petersburg. Effectively this means that he will not have to wait in line at Customs and Passport Control and has use of a lounge (usually the First Class lounge) (different from checking in First Class or Business Class). For someone with back pain this is a valuable service. Also he should get evacuation insurance in case of major medical issues-the cost is far, far less than what such a service would cost in an emergency ($10,000-$35,000, depending if he is going back to the US or to Finland).
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Also keep in mind that, while there are no direct flights from the US to St. Petersburg, the right connecting flight in Western Europe will make all the difference with regards to comfort.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Marc. The foundation organizing this visit has arranged for VIP pick-up and check-in service in StP, and my friend has always carried medical evacuation insurance because he has made 4-6 international trips per year for at least 30 years. A mixed "blessing," his back problems only affect him when standing/walking and not when sitting or sleeping. Thanks again.