Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any experience doing overnight bus trips on Eurolines or Ecolines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering how an overnight bus trip on Eurolines or Ecolines would compare in comfort to overnight flights to Europe from the USA. Airline seats in economy are not at all comfortable. Are bus seats more or less so? How about compared to overnight train in a private berth? I don't find them very comfortable either, but I suppose they would be more comfortable than a bus seat. Does anyone have the experience to help me here? I would really appreciate it.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:20 AM

You may want to go take a long overnight trip on Greyhound here. It's definitely worse than flying overnight in coach. Legroom about the same, but narrower.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Anyone who has actually been on a Eurolines bus? I was hoping they were better than Greyhound!
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Yes I have, for Amsterdam-Paris roundtrip a few years back when we want to use the cheapest way to do it.

It's really no difference from a Greyhound, in my opinion.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone else have any experience with this?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I think you're going to have to give up and accept that although cheap - yes it IS just as bad as Greyhound (you get what you pay for).
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
apparently you don't believe rkkwan.

Not too many posters on here are rock bottom budget travelers. So if you want more info you might want to post on a website geared to young/student travelers like Thorntree.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:21 PM

I travelled in a Euroline bus, though it was a short distance here in Spain (the bus began in Paris and went to Alicante, I went to Alicante which is about 3 hours from where I live). I don't know how Greyhound buses are..but I'm pretty sure a plane is MUCH more confortable, even in tourist class. The bus I'm talking about had a faulty AC which leaked just over my head..fortunately for me , some people go down an hour after and I could change my seat. So I don't want to think in an overnight trip...
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Last month I did three Euroline bus trips only because there is no train service up in the Baltics to connect these cities: Tallin, Riga, Villnius, and Warsaw. I guess there was a train from Villnius to Warsaw but it didn't suit my schedule.

What can I say? It is a bus. I much prefer a cabin on an overnight train. But the bus is very cheap. There is more leg room on a plane than on a bus.

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM
yk

Well, I have taken the buses, but that was over a decade ago.

I did several overnight trips to/from London-Paris. This was before Chunnel was built. I also did an overnight bus from Paris (or somewhere in the Loire valley) to Amsterdam.

The trips were awful. Couldn't get any sleep, and smoking was permitted those days. I thought I was going to die from lung cancer.

The seats were like the regular coach (bus) seats, with very limited recline.

Yes, it was cheap, and saved me $ on hotel rooms. I'd never do it again now that I'm no longer a poor student.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your replies. With the 100% agreement on this subject I can absolutely accept that this is a bad idea.

As for not believing rkkwan I would just say that I have seen many threads with very differing opinions on the same subject so I thought it was worth trying for a few viewpoints. No offense to rkkwan was meant.

Again thank you all! I'm convinced!