Any "Don't Misses!" in Naxos, Greece?

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any "Don't Misses!" in Naxos, Greece?

I'll be in Naxos the first week in May, and plan to spend lots of time relaxing on the beach, but I was wondering if there were any views/places/activities/restaurants/bars/shops that are worth recommending.

Also, any idea where I might look into going horsebackriding on the beaches?

Happy Trails,
Sue
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Bootman4U

I can only reply that a friend of mine once told me that "It is hard to miss anything on Naxos because it isn't that big!" Wish i could offer more info..you might try using the visit naxos website.

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:13 AM

Well, it may not be big, but it is the biggest island in the Cyclades. If you rent a car, you will be able to thoroughly explore the island. Otherwise, take the bus over the mountains to Appolonas to see the kouros. If you enjoy walking, there are some pretty villages you can stop at, catching the bus on its return journey to Naxos town.

In Naxos town itself, explore the narrow passages on the hill behind the port leading up to the kastro. There are lots of interesting shops there.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:20 AM
bws

At sunset, try visiting the Portara on the istmas just outside Naxos town. The view is spectacular.

Most nights after the Portera we wind our way up to our favorite taverna for dinner. It's a little hard to explain how to get there, as it is situated in an open air square and has entrances on 4 sides. One trip we ended up finding it from all 4 approaches but had started at the same spot on the waterfront each time. Naxos town does tend to be a bit confusing. You will recognize it by a statue in the middle of the square.
It's called "Taverna on the way to the Kastro." Essentially follow the signs to the Museum but don't enter the walls of the Kastro, it is situated outside at the foot of the walls. It may be an adventure getting there but the food is very good and it is certainly worth the effort to find.

The Venetian Museum just at the main entrance to the Kastro is a former private home lived in by the Dell-Rocha family for several hundred years. We found it facinating to see how people lived way back then.

In the old market area there is a bakery that still uses old brick ovens. You feel as if you have stepped back into the past when you purchase your bread there. The bread is very good and often is still warm from the oven. They don't bake on Sunday so be sure to buy two loaves on Saturday.

There are many sights in the interior including Demeters Temnple , Kalamitsia near Melanes and the little village of Liones.
I believe you indicated you won't have a car but I would recommend you rent one for a day and take a driving tour. Car rentals are cheap in eary May and you really do need to visit other parts of the island.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:09 AM

If you don't want to rent a car, there is an all-day bus tour of the island which we enjoyed very much. My husband didn't think he wanted to do it, but was thrilled with all it added to our stay on Naxos. I second the recommendation for the restaurant up by the Kastro. It was like heaven to sit on that square overlooking the harbor as evening came eating wonderful food. There are two restaurants on that square -- we really liked the one nearer the Kastro. We also really liked visiting the residence of the Kastro which is well-furnished.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Sue doesn´t live here anymore.
Last visit in 2003
Why answering old posts?
G.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Wow, I sure missed that! Maybe it will be of use to someone else!
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM

Check out the kouros, demeters temple and the kitron distillery in Halki, plus the marble paved streets of Apiranthos.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM

and I should never post at 3 a.m. .... oops
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM

Thanks Kristinelane, it was helpful to me!

Melodie
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM

And me!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:47 PM

And me! I'm going at the same time as "sue" (albeit 4 years later)!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM

http://www.islandstrolling.com/english/index.htm