Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

any comments/advice for my NI/north western Ireland itinerary? : )

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I am just planning my solo trip for the month of july and I have england and scotland pretty much mapped out but just wanted some advice/comments on my visit to NI and North western Ireland. I am there for 11 days and I am relying on buses and my trusty feet and thumb to get around. I am landing in Belfast after spending some days in England. I have basically just outlined where I will be staying--of course I will be seeing Giants Causeway, and all the other wonderful sites along the coast--I just haven't picked which day I will see them yet. : ) here goes...<BR>Monday-arrive early in Belfast and spend the afternoon wandering before catching the antrim coaster bus up to Ballycastle--spend the night in Ballycastle. <BR>Tuesday -move on to Balintoy-spend a night<BR>WEds-spend night in Portstewart area<BR>Thursday-move along to Downhill for the night where I will catch the ferry over to Greencastle on the Inishowen peninsula<BR>Friday, Sat- spend two nights in Malin Head <BR>Sunday- head down to Letterkenny and then up to Dunfanaghy for a night.<BR>This is where my plans are a bit up in the air! I have three more days to spend touring around..I just need to be back in Belfast on the Thursday to catch my flight over to Glasgow. Any advice would be great. I am 25 year old teacher so my funds are not too extensive. I am basically staying in hostels and the towns I mentioned above seem to have some decent ones. I will probably end up staying in a few b&amp;bs as well. I look forward to doing a lot of hiking, biking etc. any advice would be wonderful. thank you. <BR>Sarah<BR><BR><BR>
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Hi Sarah:<BR><BR>I've never traveled using public transit in Ireland so I may not be much help. There is a trail that runs from Carrick-a-Rede all the way to Dunluce castle via Giants causway. I think all or parts of that might hold some interest for you. The coast road north of Larne will be spectacular. Sit on the right side of the bus.<BR><BR>The slightly bad news is that July is marching month in NI. I think the 12th is the big day, though I'm not an expert here Ann (Ann41) can give you much more information. Safety might be a concern especially if you are thumbing a ride.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bill--yes I have heard that the 12th is the big day. I plan to be in Malin Head by that time. Most of my hitching will be in Co. Donegal as the hostels I am staying at provide shuttle services. thanks again Bill. : )
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

sorry--the hostels I am staying at along the coast provide shuttles to the touristy areas. just re read my post and it didn't really make sense. : )
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Here I am. Actually, while the 12th is the big day, there are other marches that happen on various days around the 12th. But you probably won't be too affected by it, given your itinery. Also, the safety of hitching isn't really affected by the 12th. I've hitched in Ireland, but only with my husband. My advice is just to not do it near any cities.<BR><BR>If you have time in Belfast, do a tour of the City Hall, which is one of the nicest in Europe. And the NI tourist office is just down the street from City Hall, and has a lot of good info.<BR><BR>The youth hostel in Belfast is nice, and pretty centrally located. From what I understand, the hostels in NI are of a pretty good standard.<BR><BR>As for hiking, I've never done it, but have heard there's a nice 2-hour hike around the Giant's Causeway area. I'm sure they have info on it at the visitor's station. I love the hike up the Slieve Donard in the Mourne Mountains. It's a well-traveled path along a stream, and once you get up out of the trees, you can see the sea and Newcastle (the path starts at the end of a car park in Newcastle), so you can't really get lost. And, for a traveler on a budget, Kentucky Fried Chicken in Newcastle literally has one of the best views I've ever seen from a restaurant window (you have to go upstairs).<BR><BR>It was about 72 in Belfast today--which they are calling a heat wave. Hope that's not their summer.<BR>
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Wow, 72 in April? That is a heat wave.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

it was +28 here in Toronto yesterday..now its back down to 2 and freezing rain! yikes. thanks for all of your tips and advice. Don't think I could stomach the KFC no matter how few the pennies though--my students have it every friday and it makes my stomach heave everytime I smell it..eek. : ) thanks again. <BR>S
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:58 PM

sarah... I don't think you realize the distances. I know that you &quot;can't spend the afternoon wandering Belfast then arrive by coach in Ballycastle that evening.&quot; We took the ferry from Stranraer Scotland that arrived in the morning, got a bus to Glenariff, and begged a ride to Cushendall and arrived there in the afternoon. We had a lovely stay at the Meadows B&amp;B. I suggest you check out the Glenariff Forest Park waterfall walk outside Glenariff, we took a taxi. We visited Ballycastle on our coach trip to Portballintrae. We met very nice folks there. One of the coach drivers was very kind, the other was not. I still believe that public transport is the way to travel. The Antrim Coast is lovely, and it's much more than the Giants Causeway, IMHO Have a grand time!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:29 PM

I agree, what's with this freezing weather after such a beautiful day yesterday in Toronto? Brrrr....it's freezing.<BR>YOur trip sounds great. When you get to Dunfanaghy, try and hitch a ride up to HOrn Head and then do some hiking to the top and around the Head. really beautiful!!<BR>From Letterkenny, I wish you had time to get over to Slieve League, on the west coast of Donegal. It is so beautiful and I'd really recommend it, but since you are taking public transportation, it might be pushing it. I'd be inclined to knock a day off the Antrim Coast area and have the extra day to get over to Slieve League area. Perhaps give up Balintoy.<BR>Just a thought... but have a great time whatever you decide.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

danna--I arrive in Belfast at 9am (flying over from England) and the bus does not leave until 2pm--then it is a 3 hour tour up to Ballycastle--so it would get me there by 5ish(i made friends with a very nice boy who works for the buses in NI and he has sorted me out). I am not much of a city person (even though I am living in TOronto at the moment) so I feel that the time spent in Belfast will be enough--I always have the choice to return near the end of my trip and spend more time. we shall see. thank you for the info about the B&amp;B in Cushendall--I will look into it. <BR>Kodi--thanks for your advice--I will look into the Slieve League area. : )<BR>
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:21 AM

http://www.letsgo.com/WEUR/13-Ireland-359<BR>Sarah, I didn't know if I could cut and paste the above web site, but looks like it worked. It's a bit of info on Slieve League.<BR>Buses do run to the area from Donegal town 3 times a day and there is a hostel near the cliffs.<BR>The area really is spectacular.<BR> (Brrr...still cold this morning In TO. area!)
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much kodi--I will have a look. yes..i am freezing cold--I am heading north for the easter weekend--hopefully its warmer up there..yeah right! I have packed my mittens and winter clothes! : )
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Hi Sarah<BR><BR>I live in Co Armagh, shop in Belfast, and have a holiday home in Portstewart, so I should be of some assistance!!<BR><BR>For lunch (or just a coffee!) in Belfast there is a lovely place called the Apartment. It is on the street to the right of the City Hall, and has huge windows overlooking the hall. Foods very good, and it won't break the bank!<BR><BR>While in Ballycastle, you should look into getting the ferry over to Rathlin Island (not evern an hours ride away). It's a very small island, but the locals are so friendly, and on a nice day it is so beautiful. It's interesting and unusual and even has a little visitors centre. I can look into the times of the ferry for you if you would like?<BR><BR>Have you sorted accomodations for Portstewart yet? Portstewart is gorgeous - I really love it! It is close to Portrush which is worth a visit too and also has my fav restaurant in the world! Ramores Wine Bar - fantastic! and Coleraine which is a good shopping town.. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have, I could go on forever! I spend every weekend in Portstewart and have done all my life (24 years!)<BR><BR>Angela
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Angela--excellent to hear from you! I have not decided yet where i will stay in Portstewert-I am still looking into that. I have lots of questions to ask you! if you like you can email me at [email protected] it may be a bit easier then communicating on here. Thanks so much for your help. I am looking forward to hearing from you. : )<BR>S