Any Christmas markets in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are leaving on Wednesday and were searching for any Christmas markets that may be around. I know there is one at St. Sulpice, and I know the Alsacian one on the Champs Elysee at the Alsace tourist office, but wondering if any others? Thanks

PS Looks like lots of rain boooo
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM

According to the Paris Visitors Bureau the largest Christmas market in Paris is at La Defense.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is also usually one at the foot of Saint Eustache (les Halles) stretching to the Fontaine des Innocents.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:45 AM

We did the La Defense market a few years ago. It is of reasonable size, but not as big (or anywhere near as charming) as Strasbourg.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

I couldn't get the English page to load, but here is the French page that lists Christmas events from the Paris tourist information office:
http://www.parisinfo.com/sortir-a-pa...ant-gout-noel/
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM

skating rink right under the Eiffel Tower sounds like fun - rent skates there i think.

a highlight in Paris are the big department stores (Galeries Lafayette and Au Printemps) - their display windows along Hausmann are decorated with panoramas of fairy tales with moving figures, etc.

Extremely popular when i was there a few years back - huge crowds
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know there was one at La Defense which may be a good thing as for some reason DH has always wanted to go out there. This may be a reason. Nonnafelice, I can't get the page to open in either French or English right now, but will keep trying. Pal, I love how the Grand Magasins are decorated for Christmas, we are figuring we will head there Thursday or Friday as we have seen the crowds on the weekends (and they are opened on Sunday for the season). Based on the weather forcast, I think we will be partaking of lots of indoor activities. Hopefully we will get lucky!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM

Is the skating rink still on the 1st level of the tower or have they moved it?
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

I thought they did away with the one at the Eiffel Tower, I could be wrong. I know there is one at the Hotel De Ville.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM

i know you are thinking of christmas markets ,but I was just told that on top of the printemps, there is a huge ice sculpture, that you can get a picture taken with, its meant to be fab!! I am going to go this week to check it out! (its the printemps , on Hassman area).
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM

Yes, the roof of Printemps has a big ice labyrinth with a igloo containing Santa Claus at the end.

Galeries Lafayette is supposed to have 8 snow cannons on the roofs of its buildings to make it snow on Boulevard Haussmann, but I have not seen them in action. I would not be surprised to discover that they did not receive authorization to operate (would a big city really want snowy slush on the pavement if it could avoid it?).

I did see the Boulevard Haussmann animated windows on Friday night at midnight (still big crowds, including children at that time) -- they are spectacular, as always.

So far, I still find the new lighting system on the Champs Elysées to be the most spectacular Christmas effect. I am delighted to see it every evening when I leave the office, although I have not yet seen it in total darkness. The city of Paris is delighted, because even though it is much more spectacular than the ordinary lights used in the past, it now uses 70% less electricity.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM

Jack:

my son and his gal are planning to spend 30th and 31st in Paris (Dec)

they were planning on skating under the Eiffel Tower - on the ground i thought

do you know that that's on - i thought i had read it was.

thanks
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM

No, the Eiffel Tower skating rink is not on the ground -- it is on the first level (if they put one in this -- I haven't read about it yet).

The free skating rinks on the ground are at Hôtel de Ville and Montparnasse.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM

anything around Marx Dormoy metro stop that would capture our Christmas interests?

Or perhaps not many in that desultory district celebrate Noel?
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:27 AM

Ha ha... it is not a Christmas hotspot at the moment. Rue l'Olive, the pedestrian market street, does put up electric Christmas garlands, and of course all of the Chinese are in favor of any holiday. They will have Christmas decorations until March or July, once they put them up.

It is nevertheless a great place to buy Christmas decorations. All of the bazaars run by Pakistanis and Srilankans sell all sorts of Christmas goodies -- lights, ornaments, glittery garlands -- for rock bottom prices. Monoprix and the various florists won't have their authentic trees for sale out on the sidewalk for at least another week. And there was some sort of problem in Denmark this year, so the price will apparently be 20% higher than last year.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM

Take the train to Riems to see that Christmas flea market and the Cathedral... it was a great day trip. Visit emilyandjim.info to pictures
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Christmas Eve in Paris or any French town has the ubiquitous long lines at chocolate shops - de rigueuer it seems to bring chocolates to the usual family feast at midnight it seems

and lines for fresh bread, always forming in late afternoon on most days are even longer.

Midnight my inlaws always had the Christmas meal - after 'mi-mere' had come back from the midnight mass. Oysters are a feature it seems and those shops can also have long lines on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day seems a footnote - slumbering and a meal of leftovers.

not sure if all families are typical but i went thru that experience several times and thought it was neat
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM

There is a Christmas Market on Place St-Severin in Latin Quarter.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM

The english version of the site nonnafelice referred to is: http://en.parisinfo.com/
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 05:04 PM

No charm at all, but if you are going to La Defense, Fodorites have earlier recommended shopping at the supermarche Auchon at the shopping center there. We got lots of goodies at reasonable prices to take home to friends. While you are there, take the elevator to the top of the grand arch.